Once you are "Regularized" and from Canada, then what?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Once you have the "Regularization" sticker in your passport, what do you need to do next?

In this case the question refers to someone from Canada who underwent the regularization process and just had the sticker applied to their passport in Santo Domingo.

Now what do they need to do to stay in the DR?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
If I'm not mistaken, apply for residency.

Sent from my GT-I9195L using Tapatalk

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Since they are in the plan, they may not need to return to Canada to begin the residency process, although getting some of the required documentation may require a trip home at some point-RCMP criminal record check & fingerprints comes to mind. It's also easier and cheaper to get your documents stamped by Cdn Foreign Affairs if you are in Canada and a breeze and free if you happen to be in Ottawa.

At the very least confirm with a reputable immigration lawyer here in the DR what the steps and requirements are. Follow that advice and make sure the application is submitted before the expiration date in the passport.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Since they are in the plan, they may not need to return to Canada to begin the residency process, although getting some of the required documentation may require a trip home at some point-RCMP criminal record check & fingerprints comes to mind. It's also easier and cheaper to get your documents stamped by Cdn Foreign Affairs if you are in Canada and a breeze and free if you happen to be in Ottawa.

I could be wrong since there has been so much written and speculated about the PLAN I might not be recalling correctly, but since someone with the "Regularization" sticker in his/her passport has had to prove links to the DR, might it not be that the buena conducta would need to be from the DR instead?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Only three replies and already speculation in two of them. Does anybody really know?

I am sure they have to apply for residency now. Regularization is only a 2 year deal so they can actually apply for residency and not have to go back to Canada to start it.

People were so confused about it and so many are mad, many said to me they would have their Cedula and be able to get their drivers license. That's a big no to both.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
what is a regularization sticker ?? are you talking about a residency visa that starts the process to obtain a residency card or are you talking about the residency card .. I know of no other sticker

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
La Profe_1,

I really don't know what documents will be needed. I am operating on the assumption that even with long term ties to the DR, Migracion will want to know about the person's exploits before they arrived in the DR. If they subsequently left the DR for a period of time, they could have robbed a bank while away I suppose.

The DR might just rely on an Interpol check when the app is submit in SD. That's why I suggested the OP contact a decent lawyer, who probably won't know either at this point, but might be able to find out a little easier than just calling a functionary in the dept. who probably doesn't know either.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
I am sure they have to apply for residency now. Regularization is only a 2 year deal so they can actually apply for residency and not have to go back to Canada to start it.

People were so confused about it and so many are mad, many said to me they would have their Cedula and be able to get their drivers license. That's a big no to both.

That's what I understood a cedula and a drivers license. So like I said
It was a pointless exercise to just delay everything for two years. I thought it was a fast track to a cedula

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
That's what I understood a cedula and a drivers license. So like I said
It was a pointless exercise to just delay everything for two years. I thought it was a fast track to a cedula

Yep, with the legalization visa, one does not get a cedula, can't apply for a drivers licence, will have trouble getting a phone plan unless they provide three months of local bank statements, may have banking problems, can work but without TSS insurance and social security (private insurance must be paid by employer) and more. As of now, there does not appear to be any special or easy rules about getting residency in the country so for now it seems the person still has to go outside the country to get a permanent residency visa. At the immigration office they said that the government will make new laws to address these and other problems, but there does not seem to be anything happening. The whole thing was not really there to help people, just make the DR look better it appears. The amount of time, effort and money to get this was big and so is the disappointment so far.

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
Not exactly pointless depending on your situation. It does allow you to work and stay legally in the DR for 2 years while you get your residency and your cedula. I thought it was fairly clear right from the start. The government website that explained it was accurate.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I have the Regularizacion sticker in my passport after a long battle and am now in the UK starting the Residency process so that I can get a DR driving licence. It's hard to see what use Regularizacion was for me. If I wanted to live in the DR for another two years without driving it would have been quite useful.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
With the "sticker" they mean a visa in your passport

That is not possible..a Canadian has to obtain the visa at a Dominican embassy that issues visas and not in the DR and then that starts the application for residency . The application process is well documented in various places here in DR1 , including a debate on whether you need a lawyer or not . sounds as if he does

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The Lawyer Lied - Imagine that!

Yep, with the legalization visa, one does not get a cedula, can't apply for a drivers licence, will have trouble getting a phone plan unless they provide three months of local bank statements, may have banking problems, can work but without TSS insurance and social security (private insurance must be paid by employer) and more. As of now, there does not appear to be any special or easy rules about getting residency in the country so for now it seems the person still has to go outside the country to get a permanent residency visa. At the immigration office they said that the government will make new laws to address these and other problems, but there does not seem to be anything happening. The whole thing was not really there to help people, just make the DR look better it appears. The amount of time, effort and money to get this was big and so is the disappointment so far.

My neighbors from Canada were lied to by the lawyer who "Regularized" them. They were told they would get a cedula. They are very angry and I am sure others serviced by the same lawyer are also livid. All they have is a sticker in their passport that says non-resident. That "regularization" sticker gives them two years to file for residency and not much more, if anything else.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It gives someone who applied more time and peace of mind. If you happen to be a snowbird, you can come 3 or 4 more seasons without further effort or expense . If you wish to pursue residency you have time to do that. All the while, not having to worry about running into the MDS as you go about your day. The freedom to contemplate your next move without it being forced upon you.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
My neighbors from Canada were lied to by the lawyer who "Regularized" them. They were told they would get a cedula. They are very angry and I am sure others serviced by the same lawyer are also livid. All they have is a sticker in their passport that says non-resident. That "regularization" sticker gives them two years to file for residency and not much more, if anything else.

Yes I think it was represented as a cedula by some " lawyers" . So then in 2 years there will be 200,000 "regulars" which can just be deported, except now there are fingeprints and photos for easier identification

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It gives someone who applied more time and peace of mind. If you happen to be a snowbird, you can come 3 or 4 more seasons without further effort or expense . If you wish to pursue residency you have time to do that. All the while, not having to worry about running into the MDS as you go about your day. The freedom to contemplate your next move without it being forced upon you.

They would have more "piece of mind" if they were told the truth and not that they would have a cedula instead of two more years to get a cedula. Right now, they have anger.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
A Novel for Mike F.

All the back and forth here on DR1 being completely ignored; The average foreigner who was contemplating applying to the regularization program should have been able to, with just an hour or so of research, figure out exactly what the plan would give them. I am sure some were given incorrect information from a source they considered reliable that turned out not to be. Verify, verify and then verify again. The Govt website seems to have been pretty accurate in this instance.

A Haitian, especially a Haitian that was "interned" in the cane fields and their descendants are considered a special class and could be handed the keys to the front door. Some long time resident Haitians born in the DR with some attempt to have their birth registered might not get a set of keys but would be allowed to stay with a cedula and all the benefits that comes with that.

Recognizing that other foreigners who have set up shop here in the DR and have lived here almost continuously since before 2011 need some sort of redress, they were given an option too. These would be the Haitian and non-Hatian foreigners who essentially chose to ignore the processes in place for them to apply for residency and are not necessarily seen as an aggrieved class deserving of an easy cedula, citizenship etc. These foreigners would however face a lot of turmoil and potential upset if they were forced to leave suddenly after all this time.

It was always clear to me, that the regularization plan was a mechanism to forestall the possibility of deportation for a period of time while the actual process in place for residency is undertaken by those who still wish to reside here. It is my understanding that if all of the required documentation can be gathered without leaving the DR, then there is no requirement for plan members to pay for and get a residency visa stamped into their passport in their home country. It may not be possible for some to do all that is required from within the DR, so back home they go if that is what they have to do, but still no passport visa required when they return to submit their application.

There is an other subset of foreigners here. These are the people who simply cannot meet the requirements for a residency permit. These are the transients who need to work to support themselves as they do not generate the minimum income necessary from a foreign source or do not meet the age requirement or some other stipulated provision. These people should have flocked en mass and applied to the plan. This gives them an additional two years to do whatever they want to do before having to think about this issue again. Maybe they can qualify then or maybe the rules will change or another extension is offered who knows.

As is often the case here, good solid information can be hard to come by, especially for those who have difficulty in Spanish. The process that is in place one day, may suddenly change with the appointment of a new Minister of Migracion or just because someone thinks of a better way of doing things. That is the Dominican way and anyone here for more than 5 years already knows this from experience.

We are now in the post plan time frame and as usual, there seems to be a lack of direction from the Govt for those who wish to take the next steps to obtain legal residency, which was the reason for apply to the regularization plan in the first place. I haven't check to see if the Migracion web pages are back on line or still being updated. All of the standard recommendations still apply. Due to the complexity of the situation, irregular status, then a regularization plan member now applying for residency, hire a competent DR lawyer to get you your first cedula and residency card, even if your Spanish is perfect and you have a General renting your estudio.

Let your lawyer find the information, deal with the functionaries, handle any changes that happen mid-course. You didn't want to deal with the process years ago when it was relatively simple and cheap. Trust me, you really do not want to be dealing with all that these days, when it is not always so easy and straight forward. If you are a masochist have at it. If you don't have a few extra dollars in your pocket for a lawyer, you might have a tough time getting a residency application accepted and approved.

In due course I suspect that all this new required information will become available. Someone is not going to super nice tack a copy to your front door. You will need to seek it out and more importantly, verify it for accuracy. Be prepared to act quickly before the process is subsequently amended as usually happens from time to time.

If you are in a rush to get started, talk to a lawyer. Not a lying thieving lawyer, with an office in the back half of the fruit stand near the airport, but a lawyer in real building with glass windows and air conditioning. Lawyers love written contracts. Have one drawn up detailing what the lawyer's responsibilities are, what you are expected to provide, what the end result is to be and how much you will have to pay and when. Half up front the balance on acceptance of your application in SD for example.

The people who look for shortcuts, pay the cheapest amount possible to someone guy named Jose who says he can help are often the ones who get screwed. To get your money, the car salesman will tell you the car has never been in an accident, the insurance salesman will insist you are completely covered no matter what and the unsavoury lawyer will always say, "don't worry, I'm on it" week after week with no results to show. Get it in writing and get on with it. Someone who tries to apply for residency all by themselves in this climate of uncertainty, I won't go so far as to call foolish, but I do think you could be getting into a situation where you may quickly find yourself all turned around.

Applying for residency here has never been as easy as getting a passport at home. I don't think this premise will change anytime soon so be prepared to work at this for the next 8 to 12 months, step by step, day by day. A lot of that time spent waiting. If you were told and believed that the regularization plan would give you residency and a cedula for free, bypassing all of the detailed steps that others are forced to endure, then firstly your expectations were unreasonable and I can fully understand how someone could be easily cajoled into believing what they were told - you wanted it to be true. It sounded good, it sounded easy, it sounded cheap. Warning bells should have gone off. This is the DR, you may be able to get good, easy or cheap but never all three. The intent and the intended results of the regularization plan were published on the Migracion website. The Govt pretty much delivered what they said they would. Those who thought otherwise, were misinformed somewhere along the way.