XM Satellite Radio

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Has anyone tried to bring an XM Satellite radio from the States? Does it pick up the signal in the DR?
Thanks

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My latest car I purchased came with it. Works just fine in Cabarete to Santiago.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I brought down a unit.. a mobile unit for car installation.

Sirius works, XM doesn't (as I recall) so watch out.
I had both accounts - an original XM, then Sirius with a car or two.

You get most stations... no golf or hockey but most of the music channels.

In short, yes it works, just watch which one

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I brought down a unit.. a mobile unit for car installation.

Sirius works, XM doesn't (as I recall) so watch out.
I had both accounts - an original XM, then Sirius with a car or two.

You get most stations... no golf or hockey but most of the music channels.

In short, yes it works, just watch which one

The company merged, and most radios currently for sale are labeled with both "SiriusXM"
Hopefully the merger will allow all their radios to work.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Go to www.siriusxm.com, and do a free trial on you laptop, tablet, desktop, or phone. For phone make sure you on
wifi so you don't blow past your allowed monthly minutes.

Thanks for the tip. However, if I try this when I get to the DR, will I be actually picking up the signal from the satellite, or will I just be getting a streaming sample from the internet?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Thanks for the tip. However, if I try this when I get to the DR, will I be actually picking up the signal from the satellite, or will I just be getting a streaming sample from the internet?

You will be getting if from the Internet, so it does not prove anything about working in your car here.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015

No expert, but in factory car radios it is satellite. Computers laptops, satellite to you ISP to you. Phone/Android tablet, satellite
to ISP, or hopefully free wifi while traveling, to you. Have to think you will burn data minutes fast. When I listen to radio on
phone I am always on wifi.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Has anyone tried to bring an XM Satellite radio from the States? Does it pick up the signal in the DR?
Thanks

Can you post a link of your radio type? I think I used to have one. It was white, looked like a boom box.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I have an old Sirius car radio that works fine, you get all channels. I also use a special adaptor (cheap) to bypass regular radio signals for better reception because you get some interference from local radio stations since it plays through your normal FM receiver in your car, and you choose the frequency.

I bought my girlfriend a SiriusXM radio, and it does not work here because its XM based and does not have the reach. Most, if not all, new satellite radios labelled SiriusXM are actually XM radios that will not reach. You need one of the older Sirius radios or maybe there are some SiriusXM radios that are based on the old Sirius system, I don't know about that. However, don't rely on a BestBuy salesman to tell you the truth because the one I bought for my girlfriend (SiriusXM) he said would work, and it didn't.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Good question, my reception is satellite
I doubt a computer/laptop will access the sky, just the internet

The company merged, and most radios currently for sale are labeled with both "SiriusXM"
Hopefully the merger will allow all their radios to work.
I was a throwback... a really, really early customer - XM before Sirius came along
There may be no longer a problem.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Conchman is talking my language....

The Sirius people on the HELP line may know... I found one that did, but many didn't
ask for the Pto Rico satellite

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
I joined Sirius/XM from a USA address. I brought all the equipment here to use in my home. I was able to get the entire Sirius network by satellite (you get a little antenae thingee that you have to aim). However, you cannot get the XM side in the DR as the satellite is not atainable. So, altho they are now one company they are still on 2 satelites .For example, baseball is on XM and therefor not available here

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, thats what we're talking about here... its a satellite system.

I have that Stratus 7 in one of my RD cars and get the music

It works in Canada... anywhere
RD cars are sold (new) with the capability

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Having worked at Sirius and being instrumental in the 2006 2nd generation chip release, here is the full explanation of Sirius/XM.

These two companies were created when a US military EM band was carved up into two bands for commercial use.

*One band was bought by XM.
*One band was bougth by Sirius.

XM decided to go with geosynchronous satellites with the broadcast beam pointed to North America, USA (Primarily).
The problem with this is that the EM is very similar in wavelength to Wifi, so, the signal approaches at a angle (rather than the ideal straight down) and trees and weather can interfear with the signal.

Sirius put three satellites in highly elliptical orbits whereby at there apogee the satellite is directly over the US. While this gives a better signal, it requires 3 rather than XMs two satellites, and also requires a "hand off" as each orbits in turn behind the earth.

Now that the two are a monopoly, I suspect, they want to eventually retire one set of satellites, chances are that eventually will be the Sirius set.

Ok, now with that being said, from what I hear, users are able to receive the Sirius signal. So you should need only to look for a unit that can receive Sirius.

There is a chance with sirius you might notice short dropouts, that should be nothing to worry about.

Note , countries have there own regs on EM bands, so Sirius/XM might not activate when you say you are calling from the DR.

;)