Things to Buy at Home

Rizos

Aug 18, 2015
Hi Everyone,

There may already be a thread on this, and if so, I'd appreciate a link to that just as much as any new information!

I'll be moving to Santiago (1 year stay) from Maryland in a few weeks and was wondering which things I should buy/bring from home to save on cost. I understand that many things in Santiago are cheaper than in other, more tourist-oriented areas of the island, and definitely cheaper than major US cities, but I've also heard some things are more expensive (namely internet, and "kotex"). I obviously can't bring my internet along with me, but is there anything else I should bring from home to save on costs apart from a suitcase full of tampons :) ?

Thanks for the help!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Batteries, vitamins, large pots of ibuprofen, acetaminophen, are all cheaper in U.S. Plus there are certain things which are not of such good quality here such as can openers. Not seen a crab cake here either.

Matilda

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Everything. Bring everything you can. Nothing is cheaper. If it is cheaper, it will be junk. What you don't bring, order on Amazon and have it shipped here.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Adding to Matilda's list: Shampoo, hair products, pampers (if needed), Old Bay, teeth products & any other grooming stuff for your next wife.

Rizos

Aug 18, 2015
That's always blown my mind! I never understood why nations surrounded by water never seem to care for crabs; meanwhile, here in MD, we go crazy over them (and just try not to think of how filthy bay they're coming out of really is...)

Maybe I'll make crabcakes and invite the neighbors over for dinner someday?

Thank you for answering!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Good face creams, good shoes, bedsheets, cameras, computer stuff, pain medications, sunscreen.
All the rest can be bought in Santiago at reasonable prices. There are are great hair products here. Quality products are available.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Dominicans love crabs but they are tiny and taste nothing like Maryland Crabs. They bring them home alive from the river I think and put them in the kitchen sink, some escape and you find them days later crawling all over the house. They cook them in coconut milk and you spend hours chewing on them to try and find some meat.

Matilda

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The opposite view is more practical. Here is a complete list of things you can buy in the DR of equal or better value and it only consists of one item: COMPANIONSHIP.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The opposite view is more practical. Here is a complete list of things you can buy in the DR of equal or better value and it only consists of one item: COMPANIONSHIP.

zoom, i hear you. piggybacking on what you said, if your basic preoccupation is with what material creature comforts are likely to be in short supply, maybe you might miss out on the stuff that you don?t need to shop for.

Rizos

Aug 18, 2015
zoom, i hear you. piggybacking on what you said, if your basic preoccupation is with what material creature comforts are likely to be in short supply, maybe you might miss out on the stuff that you don?t need to shop for.

Material comforts are certainly not my main concern. It's that it will be both my first real time living on my own, and my first time living abroad, so I'm trying to learn to budget and save where I can.

I'm definitely looking forward to getting to know both the good and annoying aspects of Santiago firsthand, but I have to be realistic at the same time. It's possible to have companionship and develop strong bonds while still making sure you're not blowing through your savings like there is no tomorrow- it's something people around the world do every day ;)

Have a little faith in me, guys- jeez!

Rizos

Aug 18, 2015
Dominicans love crabs but they are tiny and taste nothing like Maryland Crabs. They bring them home alive from the river I think and put them in the kitchen sink, some escape and you find them days later crawling all over the house. They cook them in coconut milk and you spend hours chewing on them to try and find some meat.

Matilda

I would like this post because that sounds delicious, and I had no idea about this! ... unfortunately, I haven't figured out where the "like" button is yet : )!

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Good face creams, good shoes, bedsheets, cameras, computer stuff, pain medications, sunscreen.
All the rest can be bought in Santiago at reasonable prices. There are are great hair products here. Quality products are available.

Band-Aids. Shampoo. Conditioner. Definitely linens (sheets, towels, etc.). Ink cartridges for your printer.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Material comforts are certainly not my main concern. It's that it will be both my first real time living on my own, and my first time living abroad, so I'm trying to learn to budget and save where I can.

I'm definitely looking forward to getting to know both the good and annoying aspects of Santiago firsthand, but I have to be realistic at the same time. It's possible to have companionship and develop strong bonds while still making sure you're not blowing through your savings like there is no tomorrow- it's something people around the world do every day ;)

Have a little faith in me, guys- jeez!

trust me on this one...once you live here, you will find that all the preoccupation with what you should have brought will evaporate. you will get into the flow. you will go into the supermarket and you will not find a designer shampoo which you might have used before, but you will find that the one you end up buying will do the job pretty well. you will end up making friends with someone who has a dropbox account, and when you need something special you can have them bring it in for you. you can also sign up with one of these services where you can go to their offices, pick out what you want on the computer, pay for it, and they will bring it in for you.

you will have a good time, and you will be able to get Emerils Essence, if you really need it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
bring nothing but money. what you cannot find in DR can be shipped on weekly basis with EPS or any other courier of your choice.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Bring band-aids. Brita type water filters and a jug. The bottled water is fine but sometimes has small pieces of plastic cap in it.

Make sure all your vaccination shots are up to date. Someone else already mentioned common over the counter medications. If you take an allergy medication, bring some of that. You can get most things here with a little bit of effort. Other stuff can be had on Amazon. It is the specific things (like a name brand blue handled screwdriver // you can probably only find a generic red one type of thing) or name brands (you can get frosted flakes cereal, but probably not the real Frosted Flakes) that can be a problem.

You'll be fine if as you are doing you think about what you will really need where you can't compromise on quality or ingredients.