Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Things to Buy at Home

Hi Everyone,

There may already be a thread on this, and if so, I'd appreciate a link to that just as much as any new information!

I'll be moving to Santiago (1 year stay) from Maryland in a few weeks and was wondering which things I should buy/bring from home to save on cost. I understand that many things in Santiago are cheaper than in other, more tourist-oriented areas of the island, and definitely cheaper than major US cities, but I've also heard some things are more expensive (namely internet, and "kotex"). I obviously can't bring my internet along with me, but is there anything else I should bring from home to save on costs apart from a suitcase full of tampons ?

Thanks for the help!

Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

Batteries, vitamins, large pots of ibuprofen, acetaminophen, are all cheaper in U.S. Plus there are certain things which are not of such good quality here such as can openers. Not seen a crab cake here either.

Matilda

3. Likes RV429 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Everything. Bring everything you can. Nothing is cheaper. If it is cheaper, it will be junk. What you don't bring, order on Amazon and have it shipped here.

5. Likes zoomzx11, Criss Colon liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Adding to Matilda's list: Shampoo, hair products, pampers (if needed), Old Bay, teeth products & any other grooming stuff for your next wife.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

That's always blown my mind! I never understood why nations surrounded by water never seem to care for crabs; meanwhile, here in MD, we go crazy over them (and just try not to think of how filthy bay they're coming out of really is...)

Maybe I'll make crabcakes and invite the neighbors over for dinner someday?

Thank you for answering!

8. Likes Matilda liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Good face creams, good shoes, bedsheets, cameras, computer stuff, pain medications, sunscreen.
    All the rest can be bought in Santiago at reasonable prices. There are are great hair products here. Quality products are available.

Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

Dominicans love crabs but they are tiny and taste nothing like Maryland Crabs. They bring them home alive from the river I think and put them in the kitchen sink, some escape and you find them days later crawling all over the house. They cook them in coconut milk and you spend hours chewing on them to try and find some meat.

Matilda

11. Likes curlando liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The opposite view is more practical. Here is a complete list of things you can buy in the DR of equal or better value and it only consists of one item: COMPANIONSHIP.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzx11 View Post
    The opposite view is more practical. Here is a complete list of things you can buy in the DR of equal or better value and it only consists of one item: COMPANIONSHIP.
    zoom, i hear you. piggybacking on what you said, if your basic preoccupation is with what material creature comforts are likely to be in short supply, maybe you might miss out on the stuff that you donīt need to shop for.

14. Likes jd426 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    zoom, i hear you. piggybacking on what you said, if your basic preoccupation is with what material creature comforts are likely to be in short supply, maybe you might miss out on the stuff that you donīt need to shop for.
    Material comforts are certainly not my main concern. It's that it will be both my first real time living on my own, and my first time living abroad, so I'm trying to learn to budget and save where I can.

I'm definitely looking forward to getting to know both the good and annoying aspects of Santiago firsthand, but I have to be realistic at the same time. It's possible to have companionship and develop strong bonds while still making sure you're not blowing through your savings like there is no tomorrow- it's something people around the world do every day

Have a little faith in me, guys- jeez!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast