why do dominicans hate us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
Everywhere I go with the wife they point and laugh at us. This is a daily occurence. The hate and insecurity they have towards foreigners is unlike anywhere else I have seen.

They have to be the most ignorant, hateful people I have ever encountered, all beggars, men, women and children.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Everywhere I go with the wife they point and laugh at us. This is a daily occurence. The hate and insecurity they have towards foreigners is unlike anywhere else I have seen.

They have to be the most ignorant, hateful people I have ever encountered, all beggars, men, women and children.

WOW, i find the complete opposite. The Dominicans i meet on a daily basis are a little stand offish but once they realize i am not just another ugly Americano they become some very friendly, helpful people.

..........maybe it is your deodorant?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

?maybe the fact that you consider them to be all ignorant hateful beggars is reflected in YOUR attitude toward them. just like a dog can sense fear, people sense hatred and disgust. maybe they are just returning your medicine.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's the shorts and flip flops. they hate rhe fact that you are comfortable when they boil in their jeans and dress shoes from la pulga. :devious::devious::devious:

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Are you both foreigners?

Is your wife Dominican and are you much older than her?

I've never felt hatred from a Dominican for being a foreigner. I've been cheated on in stores or workshops but they do that to each other as well.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007

Having another bad day, we see....

Perhaps they may not terribly appreciate the sense that you feel that way?

You know, even if you decide the entire country is not right for you (SD is just a small part of DR), there ARE another 200+ countries (including the one you are from) to explore. Just an option....

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
OP where do hang out at?? It is not hate that your feeling, it is the lack of your understanding for the people and the culture. I have been here a long time and while I have had my moments, I have never felt "hated". Maybe like you the people you encounter are having a bad day....

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Dominicans are EXPERTS at BODY LANGUAGE... and so to them, you are giving off a weird Vibe...
Its not your Face they are reading, its your body I have oberved this many times. especially how Vendors pounce on people who say " no, no Gracias, thank you bla bla bla " trying to walk away but still looking back, meanwhile I shake my head sideways just once, and the vendor will immediately stop approaching cuz they know its not gonna be a SALE..
And then I have done the opposite when I am interested in negotiating on an item, and they pick up on it immediately and go into their Sales pitch. they know its a sale, way before I ever go for my wallet.

Are you acting like you are going to be Mugged at any moment ? That could be viewed as offensive..

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
?They have to be the most ignorant, hateful people I have ever encountered?

Is it ok if I call this guy a douchebag?

Rustxko

Aug 3, 2014
I have the exact opposite experience on my trips. The Dominicans that I interact with are generally welcoming and nice people. Sure, there are some that want a handout or act rudely when you don't want what they are pitching, but it passes quickly. I encounter a more hateful attitude in initial meetings from the some of the older know it all ex-pats than I do with Dominicans. They seem to think every tourist is the next sanky victim or sex tourist. I think it probably has more to do with your attitude when meeting Dominicans and the Dominicans that you are around than it is a cultural thing.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I have the exact opposite experience on my trips. The Dominicans that I interact with are generally welcoming and nice people. Sure, there are some that want a handout or act rudely when you don't want what they are pitching, but it passes quickly. I encounter a more hateful attitude in initial meetings from the some of the older know it all ex-pats than I do with Dominicans. They seem to think every tourist is the next sanky victim or sex tourist. I think it probably has more to do with your attitude when meeting Dominicans and the Dominicans that you are around than it is a cultural thing.

culture has a heck of a lot to do with it. walk down the street in the morning and every Dominican you encounter will tell you Buen Dia. get into a carro publico or a bus, and every Dominican who gets in after you says hello to the rest of the passengers. walk down the street and cross paths with a foreigner, and he holds his head straight, as if he does not see you. i don?t even bother saying good morning anymore to some people, because i think it bothers them. everybody has their style, and the Dominican style is footloose and laid back. the foreign style is restrained and closed. the guys the OP thinks are looking at him with hate are probably wondering why the heck he did not salute them.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I agree that there are plenty of rude, ignorant, and unfriendly Dominicans but that certainly isn't the norm or most of us would live here or vacation multiple times. Most of the Dominicans that I encounter on a daily basis are friendly and polite. The ones that I've met that aren't I've noticed they are rude to their fellow Dominicans as well. Lots of Brutas y Brutos around, in every country.
My day - go over to my MIL'S to drop off a coffee cup. Our secretary is visiting. She gives me a big piece of raw coconut. Maid hand me a coffee. Off to the bank- shakes hands and greetings with the security guard, get offered coffee by the manager. Off to tile store ( Cerimas) to select tiles for the second floor on the new school. Clerk gives us a big smile, asks my wife if she remembers her. Former student- chat for a while and select tiles. Put tiles on my Credit Card- within minutes both a text message and a phone call asking us to confirm purchase with CC. As we are leaving the store a student and her mother show up, big smiles and hugs from both of them, more conversation, then off we go.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Where on Earth do you hang out?

I know that some people can be rude and arrogant but no more than,say, Paris, but hate gringos?
It must be a perception thing.Some of us gringos actually have Dominican friends,odd though it may sound.
Sounds like your problem not theirs. Maybe you should just smile a bit and try to make some form of contact with your would-be haters.At least then they can tell you to your face why they hate you but I must admit, with that sort of approach I'm not sure I'd sit down for tea with you either.....

Rustxko

Aug 3, 2014
culture has a heck of a lot to do with it. walk down the street in the morning and every Dominican you encounter will tell you Buen Dia. get into a carro publico or a bus, and every Dominican who gets in after you says hello to the rest of the passengers. walk down the street and cross paths with a foreigner, and he holds his head straight, as if he does not see you. i don?t even bother saying good morning anymore to some people, because i think it bothers them. everybody has their style, and the Dominican style is footloose and laid back. the foreign style is restrained and closed. the guys the OP thinks are looking at him with hate are probably wondering why the heck he did not salute them.

I agree. When I was saying it wasn't a cultural thing, I meant that I don't think being rude and hateful is a large part of Dominican culture. The culture of the poster is definitely a factor.

Being an American, I can say that culture differs greatly depending on where you are in the country. I'm from Texas, and the Northeastern culture for instance can seem odd to me. There are things that would be rude in Texas. For instance, eye contact is an example. Where I'm from, it is rude not to salute anyone that you make eye contact with. Also when waiting with strangers, you're supposed to engage if a conversation starts or start one yourself. When I went to Punta Cana, it was mix of people from everywhere. Now that I've been going to Sosua/Cabarete, I encounter a lot of tourists from up there, and I occasionally have to remind myself that some things aren't intentional.

One thing that drives me crazy as a Texan is the lack of "Thank you" in the DR though. In private, I would have been slapped in the head as a kid if I were handed something and didn't say thank you. In public, I would have gotten the ominous question, What do you say?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I agree. When I was saying it wasn't a cultural thing, I meant that I don't think being rude and hateful is a large part of Dominican culture. The culture of the poster is definitely a factor.

Being an American, I can say that culture differs greatly depending on where you are in the country. I'm from Texas, and the Northeastern culture for instance can seem odd to me. There are things that would be rude in Texas. For instance, eye contact is an example. Where I'm from, it is rude not to salute anyone that you make eye contact with. Also when waiting with strangers, you're supposed to engage if a conversation starts or start one yourself. When I went to Punta Cana, it was mix of people from everywhere. Now that I've been going to Sosua/Cabarete, I encounter a lot of tourists from up there, and I occasionally have to remind myself that some things aren't intentional.

One thing that drives me crazy as a Texan is the lack of "Thank you" in the DR though. In private, I would have been slapped in the head as a kid if I were handed something and didn't say thank you. In public, I would have gotten the ominous question, What do you say?

and i agree with you whole heartedly with your remark about the lack of please and thank you in the DR. then again, i will never attribute that to the fact that they do not appreciate favors like eveybody else. the lady who cleans my apartment came up short on her electricity bill money, and asked me to help her with something. i handed it to her, and she took it without even acknowledging it. however, i have been unable to get rid of her asking me, on a daily basis, if there is anything she can do for me. that tells me she acknowledges i did something kind for her. i think in some cultures we instruct our kids to do things a certain way, and in the DR certain things are not stressed. as a disclaimer, please bear in mind that i am speaking in generalities, because i have heard those words many a time from the poorest of the poor.

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
Don't hold your breath waiting for a "I'm sorry" or "I was wrong", in the DR....but the overwhelming majority of both men and women have been outgoing and very friendly....More so than in the US, IMHO.....

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Don't hold your breath waiting for a "I'm sorry" or "I was wrong", in the DR....but the overwhelming majority of both men and women have been outgoing and very friendly....More so than in the US, IMHO.....

again, it is cultural. i am not a student of sociology, as i only studied it for a year in university, but there must be some root cause why the rank and file Dominican will never say something was his fault, or take blame for anything. maybe in the case of the men it has to do with the idea of diminished manhood, given the fact that the DR is a society built on machismo. in the case of the women, maybe they feel that to acknowledge culpability will put them in a position to be victimized by men. just speculating, but that observation of refusal to own the blame in a situation is very true.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I have to disagree with the OP, I find Dominicans extremely friendly and always SMILE BACK when I flash one... Walking down the streets of Toronto if I smile at someone on the street they are offended or frightened... DOMINICANS are not hateful and spiteful..

Status
Not open for further replies.