?Missing bag and missing clothes?-Hotel Nicolas de Ovando

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Here is a recent review on this property, supposedly a fine hotel with top notch security. What is happening over there???

I arrived at Hostal Ovando July 25, 2015 at around 7:00 am, I had previously contacted the hotel to let them know of my early arrival I was made aware of a $20 early arrival fee, to my surprise upon arrival i was told I needed to pay $80 per person for arriving too early after a few word I agreed (I was on a overnight flight that was delayed 2 hours). I walked into my room and immediately went to sleep. I woke up around 3:00pm, as am fixing my luggage and become aware one of my carry on bag was missing. I immediately called downstairs and told them one of my bags were missing and am certain i had it upon arrival because I pulled my reservation papers from it. They told me the luggage boy at the time was not in that they would call him to find out, a few hours later i called downstairs again and they told me they couldn't reach him. I explained I had my phone in that bag, my camera, a envelope with money and clothes there was over $7,000 dollars in value for them to call the hotel manager and for them to resolve this issue. They told me they had contacted him that he will be there the next day. The next morning I went downstairs where this man claiming to be head of security told me that the luggage boy had left for vacation and they couldn't reach him but that he was warranty me that he would recover my belongings not no worry that he had called the techs to obtain video of the incident. Day after day they could not contact the tech two days before my departure i decided to involve the police. I went in an made a report of the robbery. The next morning police arrived and tried to obtain video and the hotel refuse to show it to them. I had to leave the next morning the police informed me that they would obtain a warrant to see the video but that could take up to 2 days since then i have been in contact with authorities in Santo Domingo. They did obtain the warrant but when they went to see the video the image was destroyed. Now I am in the process of having to sue the hotel and go to court to obtain back my belongings. I have try to communicate with the hotel through telephone and Instagram but no one is returning my calls. On top of that while I was there they changed my room 4 times due to no electricity in the outlets in some room, leaking ceilings in others and a horrible smell in another. Dont waste your time and money here, especially if they cant be responsible for the robbery that occurred with there staff under there hotel. Worst experience in the world.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If this isn't your own review, you need to post a link to wherever it came from or it will be deleted.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Two years ago, pre-DR, this would have shocked and surprised me.

Today, I say, Huh! Why the hell did this guy leave a suit case with $7,000 worth of stuff in it in the hands of a bell boy in a third world country?

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
That was stupid and I would have never done that, but the collusion and the cover-up alleged is frightening in its own right.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
IMO, even the best hotels probably have a horror story or two online somewhere. Better to look at the overall reviews - in this case it seems to be one of few problems, most people seem to like the place.

And who travels with a carry-on containing $7,000USD worth of "stuff" and lets it out of their sight?

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I think the DR has kind of a 'pig with lipstick' thing going on. Nice hotels, nice roads, nice villas, nice restaurants. Same corruption, poor management, thievery, and lack of critical thinking.

It may look like the first world, but it ain't!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I think the DR has kind of a 'pig with lipstick' thing going on. Nice hotels, nice roads, nice villas, nice restaurants. Same corruption, poor management, thievery, and lack of critical thinking.

It may look like the first world, but it ain't!

try telling that to PICHARDO.

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
I stayed at a hotel on Malecon and tried to have them remove a $3.00 water charge from the minibar. The front desk wouldn't remove the charge, the accounting department kept me waiting in the lobby for two hours and never came to see me in person. I sent an email with no resolution. So, good luck with recovering $7,000.00 in missing items.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Sorry to read this. Food for thought never let anyone handle a carry on bag that contains 7K of value, including cash.
Don't even put that in the trunk or in back of a taxi. Keep it with you at all times, including any hotel in USA or Europe.
I don't think you get anything back.

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
Here is a recent review on this property, supposedly a fine hotel with top notch security. What is happening over there???

I arrived at Hostal Ovando July 25, 2015 at around 7:00 am, I had previously contacted the hotel to let them know of my early arrival I was made aware of a $20 early arrival fee, to my surprise upon arrival i was told I needed to pay $80 per person for arriving too early after a few word I agreed (I was on a overnight flight that was delayed 2 hours). I walked into my room and immediately went to sleep. I woke up around 3:00pm, as am fixing my luggage and become aware one of my carry on bag was missing. I immediately called downstairs and told them one of my bags were missing and am certain i had it upon arrival because I pulled my reservation papers from it. They told me the luggage boy at the time was not in that they would call him to find out, a few hours later i called downstairs again and they told me they couldn't reach him. I explained I had my phone in that bag, my camera, a envelope with money and clothes there was over $7,000 dollars in value for them to call the hotel manager and for them to resolve this issue. They told me they had contacted him that he will be there the next day. The next morning I went downstairs where this man claiming to be head of security told me that the luggage boy had left for vacation and they couldn't reach him but that he was warranty me that he would recover my belongings not no worry that he had called the techs to obtain video of the incident. Day after day they could not contact the tech two days before my departure i decided to involve the police. I went in an made a report of the robbery. The next morning police arrived and tried to obtain video and the hotel refuse to show it to them. I had to leave the next morning the police informed me that they would obtain a warrant to see the video but that could take up to 2 days since then i have been in contact with authorities in Santo Domingo. They did obtain the warrant but when they went to see the video the image was destroyed. Now I am in the process of having to sue the hotel and go to court to obtain back my belongings. I have try to communicate with the hotel through telephone and Instagram but no one is returning my calls. On top of that while I was there they changed my room 4 times due to no electricity in the outlets in some room, leaking ceilings in others and a horrible smell in another. Dont waste your time and money here, especially if they cant be responsible for the robbery that occurred with there staff under there hotel. Worst experience in the world.

7,000 in belongings?! When I travel if its more than 20$, It will go in my pockets, No matter were I go, it could be even in Dubai.

Jan 9, 2004
I stayed at a hotel on Malecon and tried to have them remove a $3.00 water charge from the minibar. The front desk wouldn't remove the charge, the accounting department kept me waiting in the lobby for two hours and never came to see me in person. I sent an email with no resolution. So, good luck with recovering $7,000.00 in missing items.

Small lessons learned as a traveler.

When I enter my room and it has a pay-for-use mini bar, I ask that it be locked or removed entirely. Generally they oblige. However, once I had to change to another room with no mini-bar.

Staff sometimes cherry picks them after a guest has left and before the new guest arrives..in the hope that you will not pay attention to your bill.....and when you do.....good luck trying to get the item removed from that bill.

Easiest way to avoid the hassle is to have it locked or have it removed.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
7,000 in belongings?! When I travel if its more than 20$, It will go in my pockets, No matter were I go, it could be even in Dubai.

What made the review plausible IMO was the way the security staff played her and delayed her since they knew she was leaving in a few days. Classic tactic.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Remember-theft isn't necessarily a punishable act here-but accusing someone of theft (even if true) is punishable!

Be careful!!!

TP666

Sep 6, 2005
Remember stupid Princess ugly Di and her jewels at NYC air port. And than she did not wear her seat belt.

miguel james

Nov 6, 2012
Sorry for you lost...They know you would not be in town for a long time and the longer they could't find the bell boy etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.