Making the move

chodgy

May 20, 2015
Hi everybody,

I am another expat who has decided to make the move to DR. After reading many and many discouraging reasons said not to, I am still interested in doing so. I am young, no huge responsibilities tying me to the US, and have always had that crazy passion for the Caribbean. I know it will not be easy as I am continuously reading into what needs to be done, but I am begging for some advice that I cannot find via google. I visited for my second time in July, for a month, traveled around every coast and have narrowed in on the southwest region and Las Terrenas for relocating. My first choice would be the south of Barahona, but this is where I may need someone to talk some sense into me. I am in love with the mountains, right beside the sea, and the lack of other expats. However, I will need to find some sort of small job and I feel it is hopeless when it comes to that region. Is this true? Also, I am looking into finding a small home to rent for a year. If it is even a little possible for me to find work there (does not need to be high paying), I would like to try. Las Terrenas is beautiful and by the sea, with more tourists, which could be more ideal for me finding work there. I realize the cost of renting would be more expensive. Are there any neighborhoods outside of town that one would suggest to look into?

1. Finding work and renting home south of Barahona
2. Finding work and renting home in less crowded area of Las Terrenas

I am visiting once more for a week to look around in person, but will be deciding between the two locations before so, given limited time. I will be living with a Dominican (who is also helping) if that makes any difference to you regards to the neighborhood, etc.

I am lost, any insight is appreciated and would benefit my searching.

Thank you in advance.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Finding Work in the DR ? so you can live in the Sun and have fun every day ?

and you admit you are lost and dont have a clue except what you found on " google "

How old are you... and are you serious.
this type of post never ceases to amaze me.
and its always the same, word for word..

im sorry but BOY some of y'all need a Mentor ,real bad..

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Do you speak spanish? skills? education?

I always thought one way to make money in the DR is to rent a big house cheap, then try the airbnb type thing. If you have a niche angle of some sort you could make decent money.

The difference in renting a small house vs a big house may be as little as $100 monthly.

chodgy

May 20, 2015
Excuse me, did not think it was necessary to tell you every detail of my finances but it will be ok. I am moving to a foreign country, of course I am lost. Intensive googling is about the best I can do here. I expect to work hard and sacrifice a lot to live in the sun. Do not expect to have fun and head to the beach every morning. I am sorry that you are not open minded to the fact that some individuals are capable of having the opportunity to try something, see if it works or not, and then have a plan b.

Like I said, advice is appreciated.

chodgy

May 20, 2015
I speak Spanish. I do not have much of an education after high school and work experience is around five years in hotel and hospitality.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
So, what type of work are planning on looking for ?, Like a Bartender or Waiter ?
Or maybe being the night manager at a Hotel desk ?
Those are all great positions you would excel at since you speak English and Spanish.

I say GO for it..dont let anyone talk you out of it, they are probably all just Haters who dont understand .

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Posts Vacant

...2. Finding work and renting home in less crowded area of Las Terrenas
... I will be living with a Dominican (who is also helping) if that makes any difference to you regards to the neighborhood, etc.

In an earlier post you said "WE", so I guess, you are together with a Dominican.
That's good.

We live on a finca outside and above Las Terrenas, no tourists up here. :classic:
You could join our farm hands, same pay. :cool:
Depending on your Dominican being male or female, we have work as a maid also. :bunny:

donP

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
So, what type of work are planning on looking for ?, Like a Bartender or Waiter ?
Or maybe being the night manager at a Hotel desk ?
Those are all great positions you would excel at since you speak English and Spanish.

I say GO for it..dont let anyone talk you out of it, they are probably all just Haters who dont understand .

Bilingual guatchi :bandit:

Samana_Sanchez

Nov 22, 2014
Las terrenas would be your best bet, lots of hotels to find possible work. Areas outside of las terrenas such
as hoya del cacoa, cheap rentals are available also.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I admire your choices after visiting DR. Excellent. The best places.

I can only make one suggestion for work and that would be for in the south west. It's proximity to Haiti and the general poverty in that part of the country may open up opportunities with charities and even NGO's.

When we were in the South West after Easter this year, we gave a lift to 3 young American girls off for a few days out to Bahia de las Aguilas and they were doing just that and based in Barahona.

Whilst I like Samana Peninsula a lot, there are plenty of French and Italians there lookin for work so you need to speak several languages in order to open up any work avenues........for which of course you need a work permit.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I admire your choices after visiting DR. Excellent. The best places.

I can only make one suggestion for work and that would be for in the south west. It's proximity to Haiti and the general poverty in that part of the country may open up opportunities with charities and even NGO's.

When we were in the South West after Easter this year, we gave a lift to 3 young American girls off for a few days out to Bahia de las Aguilas and they were doing just that and based in Barahona.

Whilst I like Samana Peninsula a lot, there are plenty of French and Italians there lookin for work so you need to speak several languages in order to open up any work avenues........for which of course you need a work permit.

French may be more useful than Spanish in your resume :)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
It does not sound as if you will qualify for residency -

and theoretically the powers that be are cracking down on foreigners working without residency.

so finding work in the tourist industry - even if you have three languages - which really is the minimum, i would think..

is going to be very hard.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

and theoretically the powers that be are cracking down on foreigners working without residency.

so finding work in the tourist industry - even if you have three languages - which really is the minimum, i would think..

I noted that too.

MA, with your NGO and charity links maybe you could point him in the direction of organizations working in the South West or across the border.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I noted that too.

MA, with your NGO and charity links maybe you could point him in the direction of organizations working in the South West or across the border.

No one is going to hire a foreigner who does not have at least a college degree -preferably a master's in international development. Most NGOs here - if they are foreign backed - have perhaps one American(or French, or Brit) at the top - which costs them a FORTUNE - (think in the 100k plus range) then fills in with local hires -- who are lucky to make 30k.

The two best jobs here for English speakers are still working in call centers or teaching English - but neither of those will put the OP in the beautiful coastal areas that he wants to be in.

He might try joining the staff of Open English--or some other sort of online job - that might provide him with an income.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
just go for it... lifes an adventure.. make sure to bring 10k to get you through the first 4 months..

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015

This looks like good advice to me. You want to make sure residency will be approved or it is all for nothing. As a back up option, if you are a US Citizen you can work and travel freely in US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.