Air Canada from the USA

JimmyGibbon

Jun 24, 2010
Just wanted to post some flight info on Air Canada. My husband and I live in Milwaukee and spend 6 months per year in Cabarete. Flying there is usually a challenge and involves flying out of Chicago and usually flying to Santiago. If we want to fly to Puerto Plata, it usually involves a 20 hour flight itinerary with an overnighter along the way. I usually use ITA Matrix software for flight searches and this time an interesting flight on Air Canada popped up. I ended up booking on Air Canada, flying from Milwaukee to Toronto to Montreal to Puerto Plata with a total flight time of 8 hours for $666.00.

I had never thought to fly via Canada, but this turned out to be my best option, so, I just wanted to pass along the info.

Jimmy

Last edited by a moderator:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
WEstJet from Canada is another option.....

Just get to Toronto and you're gone.
See if you can skip the Montreal leg.My friends did Air Canada for their Japan/China trip.

Air Can from Vancouver is a good direct.

Kengdean

Dec 1, 2014
Flying via Canada

Just wanted to post some flight info on Air Canada. My husband and I live in Milwaukee and spend 6 months per year in Cabarete. Flying there is usually a challenge and involves flying out of Chicago and usually flying to Santiago. If we want to fly to Puerto Plata, it usually involves a 20 hour flight itinerary with an overnighter along the way. I usually use ITA Matrix software for flight searches and this time an interesting flight on Air Canada popped up. I ended up booking on Air Canada, flying from Milwaukee to Toronto to Montreal to Puerto Plata with a total flight time of 8 hours for $666.00.

I had never thought to fly via Canada, but this turned out to be my best option, so, I just wanted to pass along the info.

Jimmy

Interesting, looks like you got a great deal. Usually Canadian airlines are much more expensive than USA.
It might be of interest to know that both Westjet and Air Canada fly direct from several Canadian cities to Samana el Catey. Jet Blue is the only US carrier to fly into that airport...something to do with lack of radar or something that prevents most US carriers from landing there. Guess our pilots up here are use to flying into remote areas and don't need the bells and whistles! Either way, if you are heading to the north east coast, it could save a lot of time and a long bus drive by heading to Canada first.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Every time I have tried it is was the same price as the package.

Right now Sunwing on Sept 8th 7 days YYZ-POP $ 650 CDN or $ 461 USD return flight only taxes included....that would be a cheap package if bought that way

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Interesting, looks like you got a great deal. Usually Canadian airlines are much more expensive than USA.
It might be of interest to know that both Westjet and Air Canada fly direct from several Canadian cities to Samana el Catey. Jet Blue is the only US carrier to fly into that airport...something to do with lack of radar or something that prevents most US carriers from landing there. Guess our pilots up here are use to flying into remote areas and don't need the bells and whistles! Either way, if you are heading to the north east coast, it could save a lot of time and a long bus drive by heading to Canada first.

I think just Montreal and YYZ..... come directly into AZS...

I haven't seen any others & I am there often.

Many Westerners (Cdn) fly red eyes to catch the morning YYZ - AZS flight.
Yes, Only JetBlue since AA left the market in 2008/9... they used to link thru Pto Rico

Jul 28, 2014
WEstJet from Canada is another option.....

Just get to Toronto and you're gone.
See if you can skip the Montreal leg.My friends did Air Canada for their Japan/China trip.

Air Can from Vancouver is a good direct.

Transat and Canjet also fly direct to Puerto Plata from Toronto most of the year...

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Transat and Canjet also fly direct to Puerto Plata from Toronto most of the year...

Both are not schedule airlines, Westjet and Air Canada are the best options, those 2 are Holidays airlines sells packages, and if you are renting or have your own property will be very expensive to buy a ticket with them if they sell the seats.