public education

nancyh

Jan 13, 2002
Can anyone tell me how to contact by e-mail a Department of Education here in DR? Is there a department that actually runs education for non-private schools? I know that private schools abound - and I think I know why. I have many years of teaching experience and many years of university education about teaching. While living here I decided to volunteer my time and expertise at a local school.
I so enjoy my time at that school - the children and teachers welcome me with love and trust. I receive far more than I give.
But, my heart is heavy each time I leave because these children deserve so much more than the hovel that is called a school.
No doors, electricity, toilets that do not flush, no running water, NO BOOKS, NO BOOKS, NO BOOKS, next to no supplies.
It seems that the fair-skinned Dominican rich kids have a fair education when it comes to resources and trained educators. That is because their parents pay for a private school - they have no trust or beliefs in the public education system in this country either.
But the poor do not have access to a proper education at all. I want to challenge those in government who are supposed to offer education to their citizens.
Let's start with the basics: flush toilets, drinking water that is not stored in rusty drums, and books and supplies.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Nancy,Hello! Is that "Coffee" you should smell?

First,don,t bring "Race" into the issue.There are dominican children of "all" colors who receive no education. I say,"NO", education because that is what it is! The government has exactly the educational system they want. Lots of poor,basically illiterate, clones to work for "slave" wages.That is the system here.Don,t bother trying to contact the Government. Please keep on doing what you can,we thank you.Use your efforts "one-to-one",not looking for any "Help"! It is not only the government you know.The "Ruling Class",needs maids,gardeners,nannys,and a "lower class" to keep all costs down. Sorry,thats the way it is here! Criss Colon