Chikungunya and fashion choices

Aug 5, 2015
Do you guys walk around with long pants and mosquito repellent all day and night in fear of Chikungunya? This is a serious question. I remember last time in the DR I saw mosquitos in even some air conditioned places. I don't think I've ever been to DR and walked away 100% completely bite-free. At least one of the suckers is bound to get you once. How do you guys cope?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
10h1rbr.jpg
[/IMG]

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I haven't heard any mention of new Chikungunya cases in a long time. I only remember it when my knees start aching like crazy, then I blame it on the friggin Chickenvaina.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I got a few bites this year but other than arthritis pain I didn't experience anything new. I use insect repellent with deet but they still bite

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Yes I had the dreaded virus for just over two years but it finally worked its way out of my system , but what agony for the first year ,,then it simply came on when I was tired. I found the hard thing wsa trying to work out if the pain was from normal arthritis or from chikungunya . Have seen far fewer mosquitoes this year and I agree that nothing deters them ..they love the back of my neck.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I only wear long trousers if I go out in the evening and then it's not really to deter mosquitos. The same applied when chikungunya was at its height and luckily I didn't catch it then. This year I suppose there are some cases but I haven't heard of anyone I know getting it, so maybe the lack of rain has had one good effect!

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
The reason you don't hear much about Chikungunya anymore, most of the LOCALS already had it.. It's the NEW MEAT Tourists exploring into the interior the Big Cities that still get it, but to small in numbers to even report...

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I only buy on amazon. The cheapest price and highest concentration. See second link
Works great in hose sprayer outside house. Safe inside house. Avoid your pets from coming in contact if you have one.

Do you guys walk around with long pants and mosquito repellent all day and night in fear of Chikungunya? This is a serious question. I remember last time in the DR I saw mosquitos in even some air conditioned places. I don't think I've ever been to DR and walked away 100% completely bite-free. At least one of the suckers is bound to get you once. How do you guys cope?

I never wear pants, long sleeves or bug repellent. Didn't even have screens in my home till 6 months ago. Like dv8 I just don't care.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Dominican (female) mosquitos are real tame.

In the Turks and Caicos and Bahamas they attack in waves and bite real good.

That is horribly true! I remember getting stuck in Long Island and staying the night there. The mosquitoes actually try to chase you under water and they are like huge dive bombers!T &C was just as bad but not quite so aggressive.

Nasty!

I wear longs after 6 pm if I'm going out or OFF on exposed bits. The so-called natural repellents just don't work for me so I need something developed in the bowels of the Chernobyl reactor to keep 'em away.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
That is horribly true! I remember getting stuck in Long Island and staying the night there. The mosquitoes actually try to chase you under water and they are like huge dive bombers!T &C was just as bad but not quite so aggressive.

Nasty!

I wear longs after 6 pm if I'm going out or OFF on exposed bits. The so-called natural repellents just don't work for me so I need something developed in the bowels of the Chernobyl reactor to keep 'em away.

Its the only place I know of where the Mosquitos are Venomous and have sharp incisors...