Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Last Wednesday, $274.52 CanuckBucks for the same DR. At La Serena ATM, across from the ScotiaBank branch in Puerto Plata

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Not quite sure if this should be in this specific thread, but mods can move it about as appropriate.

We've been wondering what might happen with the acquisition of El Progresso by ScotiaBank. I've contacted ScotiaBank about it, over several emails, and finally got a clear answer.

Initial conversation piece was this:
    When you’re travelling, you can use the ABMs of the international banks in the Alliance, and you’ll skip the surcharge and save on access fees.

The Alliance page indicates there is only ScotiaBank for the Dominican Republic.

And yet: The Globe and Mail August 14, 2018
    "Scotiabank says it has reached a deal to acquire Banco Dominicano del Progreso, a bank with operations in the Dominican Republic."

The last time I tried using my ScotiaBank Visa Debit Card at Banco Dominicano del Progreso, there was a note that I would be charged a fee.

Does this mean that although ScotiaBank has acquired El Progreso that it is still not a part of the Alliance? Or is there just some delay in implementing the same benefits for ScotiaBank card holders at el Progresso branches?
    The final answer I got was this:
    Scotiabank is a founding member of the Global ATM Alliance. When you’re travelling, you can use the ABMs of the international banks in the Alliance, and you’ll skip the surcharge and save on access fees.

When travelling to the Dominican Republic, I am very sorry to advise that only Scotiabank’s in Dominican Republic are a part of the Global ABM Alliance. Even though Scotiabank has acquired Banco Dominicano del Progreso, they are currently not enrolled in this added service.
    So, we at least know why we must seek out a specific ScotiaBank to use our cards at their ATMs and not available for fee free usage anywhere else.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

$278.80 for 10,000 pesos at the Scotia ATM in Nagua
    =========================================================
    RE: Progreso
    Sooner or later they will merge with Scotia entirely and be part of the Alliance...
    My branch assures me.... these things take time

Until then -- same old, same old

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a Polar Bear looking for this information

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

On Jan. 13 I withdrew 10,000 pesos - Banco Popular ATM outside La Sirena - they applied 195 peso fee = $276.04 deducted from my BMO account in Ontario.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    There is a Polar Bear looking for this information
    I hope he is OK.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Sosua casa de cambio 36rd

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so warning to tourists, never change your cdn dollars at Puerto Plata airport Globo Canbio. They wanted to give me 31.72, when the going Bank of Canada rate was 38.77. My Costco Capital One card gave me 38.68 which is great and I got 35.00 when changing cash in Sosua Caraibe Express next to Supermercado Pola.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CDNCAVOK View Post
    Ok so warning to tourists, never change your cdn dollars at Puerto Plata airport Globo Canbio. They wanted to give me 31.72, when the going Bank of Canada rate was 38.77. My Costco Capital One card gave me 38.68 which is great and I got 35.00 when changing cash in Sosua Caraibe Express next to Supermercado Pola.
    No never at airports, never!

10. Likes Russell, Tricky liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    No never at airports, never!
    My Capital One Cosco Card has no fees for international purchases and I am getting 37.68 and the same when withdrew from Scotia Bank. My Bank charged me a $3.00 fee and bank machine 200 pesos.

I’d rather use them then hunt for rates because my banks are giving me the going rate less fees.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast