Anyone Have This Experience?

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Water being stolen from the cistern in the middle of night in a complex of apartments in SD?

Several times we have awoken to our cistern completely emptied of water and it appears to be happening between the hours of 1am-5am, because we had water past midnight to 1am.

Apr 13, 2011
Yes, very much need a padlock on the hatch/door to the cistern... they will find someone who does not have a padlock to steal water from...

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
They cut our chain or lock one time and stole the tank for gas (for the stove). We were not home for a few days. The neighbors told us they suspected construction workers who were in the area - had the right tools. The average thief here does not have bolt cutters.

We moved the tank inside after that. I don't like this arrangement, but you do what you have to do.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Locks only go so far-the problem is those that have the keys during those morning hours.

do you know what exactly happens? how is the water stolen? someone pulls over with a water truck or what? someone in the building opens a tap and fills 20 tinacos stored in the living room? tenants from the apartment block next door form a bucket chain in the middle of the night to fill their cistern?

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
do you know what exactly happens? how is the water stolen? someone pulls over with a water truck or what? someone in the building opens a tap and fills 20 tinacos stored in the living room? tenants from the apartment block next door form a bucket chain in the middle of the night to fill their cistern?

No evidence, but would have to conclude a water tank truck in the middle of the night pulls up in front of the complex and the water is siphoned out. Water can then be sold to any number of barrios with no water at the moment.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
water trucks are hard to miss... have you thought about installing movement sensors? cameras? motion activated lights? i know some apartment buildings in SD (and other cities) have various security measures in place, from alarms to watchmen. did you ever discuss it with other tenants? do they care?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The smart thieves will already have a pipe buried in the ground leading to where they take it / use it...

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
How many people does this Cistern Serve ?
Personally I would put FOOD COLORING in the water.
Red or Pink would be my choiice.
but thats just me , im a little sick and twirsted..
the would be thieves would get the message.
desperate times, desperate measures..
and I would rather have pink water than no water.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
How many people does this Cistern Serve ?
Personally I would put FOOD COLORING in the water.
Red or Pink would be my choiice.
but thats just me , im a little sick and twirsted..
the would be thieves would get the message.
Or laxatives...

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Or laxatives...

See. now you took it TOO far.... and killed a perfectly good idea..
LOL

and yes, I was being SERIOUS..

Food coloring is totally HARMLESS,
We put it in BEER for St Pattys.. and people love the concept..

let the thieves THINK about it...

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Or laxatives...

That made me laugh!

Back in the day I had to work evening while putting in a new computer system and someone kept stealing my lunch form the refrigerator in the cafeteria. I did just that, loaded the sandwich down with Ex-Lax. I did end up catching the thief.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
That made me laugh!

Back in the day I had to work evening while putting in a new computer system and someone kept stealing my lunch form the refrigerator in the cafeteria. I did just that, loaded the sandwich down with Ex-Lax. I did end up catching the thief.

A cousin of mine did that with a cake in a shared fridge. She'd had enough of one of her housemates helping himself without permission so next time she made one she added the laxatives. It soon became apparent who it was.

Fredo

Mar 17, 2013
I suspect a defective check valve... water flowing back in to the network when the pressure drops..