High-speed Internet Access on the North Coast

Buffettologist

Jan 13, 2002
I am curious to know if anyone living in the North Coast area (Puerto Plata, Caberete, Sosua, etc.) could tell me if DSL, cable or high-speed satellite internet service is available in those areas and if so what are the costs, speed and reliability.

Many thanks for your help!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You have to call CODETEL or TRICOM

Both companies are working on the installation of DSL service.

Not all of their central stations can handle DSL, so you have to ask the local office.

In Santiago is is available in most places..

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
DSL in Sosua

I have DSL in Sosua from Codetel. They call it Internet Flash. I pay approximately RD$1000/month for flash and plan VIP that gives me unlimited service. One of the advantages is that the phone can be used at same time as computer, so you can avoid the need for two phone lines.

Codetel has different plans, depending how many computers you want to connect. I have the plan for a single computer in the home.

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Ken - cost of flash

Hey Ken

You pay $1000RD for flash AND the VIP service? I thought it was $1000RD just for the flash...? Something is awry, I am paying $1000RD for my snail-paced regular dial up (average connection speed 12.2 hehe) connection. You pullin' some strings somewhere to get that deal?

marc

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You're right, Marc

My error. I'm paying almost RD$1000 for flash, plus VIP

Ken

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
regular dial-up?

As a comparison, what would be the cost of regular dial-up access?