American Cars and DR-CAFTA?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Is it only me?

I don't see any cheaper prices on new US cars despite ridiculous overpriced as usual...

Aren't they supposed to be cheaper than before since DR-CAFTA?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I think what you will see is similar to when Canada and the US signed NAFTA. Most things went up. Especially on the north side of the boarder. It seems like these agreements are just photo ops for the politicians involved. They do nothing for the people.

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
The problem is the dealers, they still wanna win over 200k in a car, I brought my car by myself, saved myself 180k.
Please I maked sure it wasnt a Katrina car.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I am not sure about this, but I heard they made the import duty cheaper but then added the difference to the first time registration fee, to technically comply with the treaty provisions while circumventing them.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am not sure about this, but I heard they made the import duty cheaper but then added the difference to the first time registration fee, to technically comply with the treaty provisions while circumventing them.

Correct. I talked to the person in the US in charge of CAFTA for the DR-CAFTA and mentioned this to them. Nothing ever happened.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That said, there are far more US cars on the road than there used to be. So some people think they are getting a good deal. The Chevrolet Equinox seems to be quite a popular model.

One thing I recommend. If you purchase a car in the DR that you plan to keep for a while, be sure it is a model that is also sold in the US. Then you can get parts for it when you need them. And those parts will probably cost less than if you purchased them in the DR.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The Prado is one excellent example of a car I would not purchase here because of the parts issue. They don't exist in the USA.

Skoda is an entire line of cars not sold in the US. So in my opinion, to be avoided because DR dealers are notorious for not stocking spare parts.

Thankfully, I have Korean "Konnections" for parts for Hyundai and Kia cars even if not sold in the USA.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Skodas are a nightmare, because the same thing breaks on all of them, and you're SOL for finding parts.

Prados, not so much. Folks here love em, so there's a ton of parts to be found.

JD , it is not a matter of the same things breaking on a Skoda. it is a matter of everything breaking. i had one, and it was a joke. you would park it overninght, after it was running just fine, and the next morning it just refused to run.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
JD , it is not a matter of the same things breaking on a Skoda. it is a matter of everything breaking. i had one, and it was a joke. you would park it overninght, after it was running just fine, and the next morning it just refused to run.

"Czech" off the Skoda, so to speak.

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
You can sure say that again.

I love the Prado I purchased a couple of weeks ago.

It is a great truck, no doubt about it. Having said that, go on EBAY and try to find ANYTHING for a Prado.

If something pops up, it's in Australia or Latvia.

Most folks in the states have never even heard of a Prado. I'm not too worried about it, because I'll be able to find anything I need if something ever breaks, but I still like having the option of buying outside the country.

Similar here - just bought a Toyota Fortuner - great truck but try and search for a part online and it doesnt exist... even on the toyota website. Its basically a hilux but a pain to get anything if you can find it here...

bonao99

Jun 11, 2005
The Prado is one excellent example of a car I would not purchase here because of the parts issue. They don't exist in the USA.

Skoda is an entire line of cars not sold in the US. So in my opinion, to be avoided because DR dealers are notorious for not stocking spare parts.

Thankfully, I have Korean "Konnections" for parts for Hyundai and Kia cars even if not sold in the USA.

The Prado in the US is the Lexus GX 460

http://www.lexus.com/models/GX

Jan 9, 2004
not exactly. the Lexus has a v8 motor.

Since 2009, the Prado has been available with a 4.6 L V-8.

Early on the Prado shared characteristics with the Land Cruiser and is still sometimes referred to as the Land Cruiser in some markets. Toyota should take notice as it is confusing.

More confusing is the Prado is not sold in N. America, where it is badged and sold as the Lexus GX.

Finally, Toyota does not even offer standard options throughout the line-up. Options available in one market (aux. fuel tank) are not available in others.

None of the Prados come into the country under DR-CAFTA.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Since 2009, the Prado has been available with a 4.6 L V-8.

Early on the Prado shared characteristics with the Land Cruiser and is still sometimes referred to as the Land Cruiser in some markets. Toyota should take notice as it is confusing.

More confusing is the Prado is not sold in N. America, where it is badged and sold as the Lexus GX.

Finally, Toyota does not even offer standard options throughout the line-up. Options available in one market (aux. fuel tank) are not available in others.

None of the Prados come into the country under DR-CAFTA.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

i was just noting that there is a difference between the Prado and the Lexus, insofar as all the Lexus versions come with the v8, as opposed to Prados , which also come with the diesel motor. i cannot remember seeing too many v8 Prados here, and i suspect fuel consumption would be the deterrent.

Jan 9, 2004
i was just noting that there is a difference between the Prado and the Lexus, insofar as all the Lexus versions come with the v8, as opposed to Prados , which also come with the diesel motor. i cannot remember seeing too many v8 Prados here, and i suspect fuel consumption would be the deterrent.

Point taken.

Prados can be found with everything from a 2.7 4 cylinder up to the V-8 and including as you point out, diesel options.

I too have seen only a handful of V-8 Prados in the DR.

DR-CAFTA has largely been a bust for most dealers. While they import and are taxed at a lower price point than individuals on cars qualifying under DR-CAFTA, they are still required to pay 18% ITBIS and 17% first placa on those valuations. Thus the average consumer likely sees little change in pricing. To circumvent the agreement the government created a workaround so as not to lose the huge revenue stream that imported autos provides.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Point taken.

Prados can be found with everything from a 2.7 4 cylinder up to the V-8 and including as you point out, diesel options.

I too have seen only a handful of V-8 Prados in the DR.

DR-CAFTA has largely been a bust for most dealers. While they import and are taxed at a lower price point than individuals on cars qualifying under DR-CAFTA, they are still required to pay 18% ITBIS and 17% first placa on those valuations. Thus the average consumer likely sees little change in pricing. To circumvent the agreement the government created a workaround so as not to lose the huge revenue stream that imported autos provides.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

you are polite to call it a workaround. it is more like an unsolicited reacharound.