Maybe Someone Here Can Answer This One For Me

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
What is the game played in a lot of these apartment complexes in DR, where they get ride of security 'watchy' every so many months? It seems like they shuffle around or replace the people working security in these apartment complexes constantly. There must be some financial reason for this to save the administration and council of these apartment complexes money, but I can't put my finger on it. Anyone know what the story is about this?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
What is the game played in a lot of these apartment complexes in DR, where they get ride of security 'watchy' every so many months? It seems like they shuffle around or replace the people working security in these apartment complexes constantly. There must be some financial reason for this to save the administration and council of these apartment complexes money, but I can't put my finger on it. Anyone know what the story is about this?

liquidation, perhaps.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
What is the game played in a lot of these apartment complexes in DR, where they get ride of security 'watchy' every so many months?.....

Do they get rid of just the 'watchy' or the 'watchy' and the company he works for.

Last apartment building I lived in every couple of months they would change the night guard but always kept the company he was employed by. I sometimes wondered if they didn't want the watchman to get to comfortable with the building and people and start to look for ways to increase his income.

I thought it was a good idea because after a few months of saying good evening to the watchman his hand would start to rub his stomach as if to say ............ you know, "I am hungry". So most times I was glad to see them switch.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
like bigbird says, they are likely shuffled within the security company itself.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
The security companies that my friend employs for his hotel/apartments has a simple philosophy for reducing issues. He is Italian and simply says, when employing that class of Dominican you need to keep one step ahead of them constantly. And so move them on before they get too comfortable. Too comfortable breeds confidence, and confidence breeds stupidity in their minds and so remove that from the equation.

There is a massive turnover in security work, I believe even Dominican employers have the same approach.

When living in Bavaro we uses to get the same security guys weekly. I didn't like it, they got too comfortable and started thinking they were there to be my mate, or that I had any interest in them other than them staying awake. Rotation of any sort is good, even if they don't do it.

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
Two possibilities come to my mind. One is the "90 day probation" rule. If you have an employee 90 days plus, you are "married" to them. Short story here is you have more responsibilities, expense and so forth. (labor law). The other thing that comes to mind is "rotate your stock" to prevent corruption. Just as the commandant's on the beaches, when they become to comfortable and have acquired their little "circle of power" in the neighborhood (read bribes and handouts) they get rotated out regularly. Then you have to deal with the next batch. Just my 2 pesos worth! Your milage may vary. :rambo:

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Maybe the guachis have sucked so far! I don't know how things work now, but I remember that if you didn't like one in particular, or screwed up or something, you could call the company, and they'd send you a new one.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Looking for logic in anything Dominican is a risky business and may drive you crazy.