Driving with a new car?

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
:)
If I buy a used car, for exemple, in Santiago, can I drive it back home to the North Case, right away
Or do I need to get things done with the papers?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
If I buy a used car, for exemple, in Santiago, can I drive it back home to the North Case, right away
Or do I need to get things done with the papers?

Are you buying the car from a dealer or private individual? If it is a dealer they can take care of the registration and title in your name but I doubt that would be done that day. If you are buying from a private individual it is a complicated process and will take a couple of days. The seller needs to have a contract drawn up. He needs to get a police report showing that the car is not stolen or has other problems. You need to take these and the title and proof of insurance coverage to motor vehicle dept to get the vehicle title transferred into your name. If you are buying a used vehicle through a dealer please be very careful that you are not buying someone elses problem.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
With a dealer he normally has his own plates on the car and you can drive it right away. He will tell you when to come back for your own plates.

Just to add, he might give you a temporary cardboard plate to display in the window.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
1. sign a contract.
2. pay for the vehicle.
3. transfer the matricula to your name.

you can drive the car straight away providing that the payment has been made and the contract signed but as a buyer you are responsible for transferring the matricula of the vehicle to your name. the paperwork cannot be avoided. there are people who can do all this for you. i personally never did any of this myself, always hired someone to wrestle bureaucracy for me.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
minor point, but you left out the part about insurance

1. sign a contract.
2. pay for the vehicle.
3. transfer the matricula to your name.

you can drive the car straight away providing that the payment has been made and the contract signed but as a buyer you are responsible for transferring the matricula of the vehicle to your name. the paperwork cannot be avoided. there are people who can do all this for you. i personally never did any of this myself, always hired someone to wrestle bureaucracy for me.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
minor point, but you left out the part about insurance

yes, true. but in all honesty i don't know what exactly is done with it. again, i always had someone else do this for me. nonetheless the point is valid. i personally always opt for full seguro.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Sometimes a used car will still be insured. Would strongly recommend against driving an uninsured vehicle. It does not take long to get insurance.