dominican driving licence abroad

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Can't help with the EU, but I use mine every time I drive in the US of A. Even when I had a fake DR license for 4 years it worked just fine and dandy. One rental car company could not find the DR in their data base so for that rental I was from Dominica.

I expect a DR license will function in the EU, but there will be someone who has that experience who will follow up for you on that.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There is no reason it should not be good. I will be using it in Italy next summer, it better be good.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
We've driven in Spain, where it was accepted by a car hire company, and in Gibraltar and Portugal, although we've never been stopped.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Mmmh, in France u are supposed to have an IDP ( international driving permit ), and u can drive for a year on it ( and then if resident get ure french DL ).
Not to sure there isnt 2 seperated DL in the dr, the normal 1 and the IDP.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
There are many foreign driving licenses that are not legal in England. I reckon a DR license is of no use here. Some can be used short term, like in the DR and then the appropriate applied for, but I have no idea where DR licenses would fit into all this. A rule of thumb used to be that if the license you held from your native country could not have points added (the points system did not exist) then there was no way it was legal in UK, for any term at all.
I do know that if you do not have license or insurance or all of the relevant documents required in England, the Police not only fine you and have points put on your license, but they take the vehicle off you on the spot, does not matter who the vehicle belongs to.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Looks like I won't be visiting the UK . Any time. Ever. Not that I would even want to drive on the wrong side of the road.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Uk is about the last Country I would ever visit in Europe. Once was enough for me.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Uk is about the last Country I would ever visit in Europe. Once was enough for me.

Great country to visit, not so great for driving. I had plenty of practise in New Zealand driving on the left, but still found I really had to concentrate.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Great country to visit, not so great for driving. I had plenty of practise in New Zealand driving on the left, but still found I really had to concentrate.

I did not like the weather, and I cannot understand anyone with that accent. Drive there? Not me. Would be in an accident in 15 minutes.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I did not like the weather, and I cannot understand anyone with that accent. Drive there? Not me. Would be in an accident in 15 minutes.

That sounds so 'Duminican', like there is only one accent, and NY is the whole of USA.:cheeky:

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Lol! It is one of the only accents I CAN understand! I quite liked the UK but the weather was abnormally nice when I went.

The weather is never as bad as they expect, they believe us when we say it is constantly miserable

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I believe in the USA that foreign licenses are good for 6 months. However I have watched people having to go to court for driving without a license (an arrestable offence) only to have the judge tell the cop that they were within the law. I would imagine the same thing might occur in Europe.

That depends:

If you are a visitor from outside the United States and Canada who plans to drive in the U.S., check with the motor vehicle department of each state you will drive in for its requirements. Some of the states will require an International Driving Permit (IDP) in addition to a valid license from your own country.
Short-Term Visitors

If you intend on getting an IDP, you must do so in advance of your travel:

The United States does not issue IDPs to foreign visitors. To get an IDP, contact the authorities of the country that issued your driver's license or its motoring association.
If you want to rent a car, you may need both your license and an IDP; find out the rental company's policies in advance.
Beware of international driver's license scams.