Shipping a big electronic keyboard from eastern Canada to SDQ

DavidKramer

May 16, 2012
I have a 55lbs full sized electronic piano I would like to send over here. Can't put it on a plane because of the funky dimensions and worry about how it will be handled. The only option I can think of is to send it on a boat if it's not too cost prohibitive... Any ideas?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
The easiest is probably shipping via "mudanza" or door to door. There are many in the New York area and in the Miami area. You pay the company a set fee to ship the item and the fee paid includes delivery in the DR and customs clearance.

There is a service out of Toronto and Montreal - Peralta Brothers Shipping. Might be worth talking to them.

http://www.peraltabroshipping.ca/

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Go with one of the Mudanazas who will quote you a door to door price including everything to deliver it directly to you.
They are in NY City and Miami as well if you are purchasing the keyboard in the US , you can have it delivered directly to the Mudanza and then they will get it to you. (I add this information for others who may want large new items, I see you are in Canada.)

If you already have the keyboard and are in Canada, then take the advice above. Probably take 4 to 6 weeks to get it from North America.

(I am also a keyboard player.)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Go with one of the Mudanazas who will quote you a door to door price including everything to deliver it directly to you.
They are in NY City and Miami as well if you are purchasing the keyboard in the US , you can have it delivered directly to the Mudanza and then they will get it to you. (I add this information for others who may want large new items, I see you are in Canada.)

If you already have the keyboard and are in Canada, then take the advice above. Probably take 4 to 6 weeks to get it from North America.

(I am also a keyboard player.)

stop licking you lips.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
stop licking you lips.

While I have nothing against the full size, last model, supersynth/sampler keyboards that are obsolete the following year, I have learned they are not the best for the power conditions here in the DR nor are they cost effective with the alternatives now available. (I have such a Roland 88 note model myself).

I currently gig with midi controller keyboards using software called VSTi's (virtual instruments) that are run from a PC.

The advantage/features are lighter weight, inexpensive keyboards with no self contained sounds, a spare inexpensive PC contains the same sounds as a back up. I can get virtually any sound I want using a VSTi while not being limited to what the keyboard manufacturer thinks are good sounds. The VSTi's size are also not limited to the normally small sample memories of such self contained music keyboards. And of course the PC can still be used as a PC when not used for music.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Studio_Technology

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
While I have nothing against the full size, last model, supersynth/sampler keyboards that are obsolete the following year, I have learned they are not the best for the power conditions here in the DR. (I have such a Roland 88 note model myself).

I currently gig with midi controller keyboards using software called VSTi's (virtual instruments) that are run from a PC.

The advantage is lighter weight, a spare inexpensive PC contains the same sounds as a back up, and I can get virtually any sound I want using a VSTi while not being limited to what the keyboard manufacturer thinks are good sounds. The VSTi's size are also not limited to the normally small sample memories of such self contained music keyboards. And of course the PC can still be used as a PC when not used for music.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Studio_Technology

i adore keyboards, but i do not know dick about them, so i cannot comment. i watch some of the tests on youtube, and i think things like the Roland Fantom g7 sound outrageous. then i read the comments below, and read some guys saying how bad it sucks, and how crappy the sounds are, and how it cannot do this, and cannot do that.

you keyboard players are nuts.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
i adore keyboards, but i do not know dick about them, so i cannot comment. i watch some of the tests on youtube, and i think things like the Roland Fantom g7 sound outrageous. then i read the comments below, and read some guys saying how bad it sucks, and how crappy the sounds are, and how it cannot do this, and cannot do that.

you keyboard players are nuts.

There are guitar players who think they can tell by the sound of their electric guitars which brand of 9Volt battery is being used in their effects pedals. It is guitar players who are by far and away the most mental when it comes to rock/jazz/pop music. They are the "sphincter" in any group.

As for the latest and greatest gear, It is what I call the "one plus" mentality. Many people are convinced by marketing that they need the latest gear to sound the best. What they really need is to know how to play the correct notes at the correct time with a decent sound quality from any given instrument.

For my purposes, good piano sounds, good Hammond organ sounds, and the occasional synth/string/effect, etc sound are sufficient. With VSTi's that and almost anything else is possible. If Chick Corea were playing my $200 midi controller using the very high quality piano sound I use, he would still sound like Chick Corea. If Joey DeFrancesco were playing my Keyboards using the B4 VSTi, he would still sound like Joey D.

(Unfortunately, when I play, I sound nowhere near to either, but I did get to play with Larry Carlton once. Larry just happens to be one of the idols of a guitar player I will be practising with today)

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
There are guitar players who think they can tell by the sound of their electric guitars which brand of 9Volt battery is being used in their effects pedals. It is guitar players who are by far and away the most mental when it comes to rock/jazz/pop music.

As for the latest and greatest gear, It is what I call the "one plus" mentality. Many people are convinced by marketing that they need the latest gear to sound the best. What they really need is to know how to play the correct notes at the correct time with a decent sound quality from any given instrument.

For my purposes, good piano sounds, good hammond organ sounds, and the occasional synth/string etc sound are sufficient. With VSTi's that and almost anything else is possible. If Chick Corea were playing my $200 midi controller using the very high quality piano sound I use, he would still sound like Chick Corea. If Joey DeFrancesco were playing my Keyboards using the B4 VSTi, he would still sound like Joey D. (Unfortunately, when I play, I sound nowhere near to either. )

and i bet that most of the one plus guys can?t play a lick.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
My father may have these in his LP vault, he is almost your age.
I'm a big Miles fan.

then this one is for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEC8nqT6Rrk

i used to date this Belgian woman who lived with Miles for 2 years. she said he was completely out of his mind. on one occasion, Coltrane was complaining to Miles that there were occasions when he started blowing a solo, and just could not stop.

Miles asked him if he ever thought of taking the horn out of his mouth.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
The easiest is probably shipping via "mudanza" or door to door. There are many in the New York area and in the Miami area. You pay the company a set fee to ship the item and the fee paid includes delivery in the DR and customs clearance.

There is a service out of Toronto and Montreal - Peralta Brothers Shipping. Might be worth talking to them.

http://www.peraltabroshipping.ca/

I have used peralta several times and have stuff there now. I think they are great .

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
About 13 or 14 years ago I had a big Roland synthesizer flown in. My brother in law bought it while in the USA , also bought a flight case and brought it as luggage without any trouble.

I don't know if that would still work.

DavidKramer

May 16, 2012
I have a 67 note midi keyboard here with me in the DR that is USB bus powered and 1TB of samples/VSTs to play along with.

Good for everything related to my general music production. My audio interface is also bus powered, so I can basically run a 8-10 channel board with preamps and converters powered directly by my mac laptop. very nice and portable!

But I've been wanting to learn formal piano for ages (I'm mainly a guitar player) and I had bought right before leaving Canada (didn't know at the time I was going to be living here) a Yamaha P155 piano. High end, good enough that it's probably worth it to bring it over.
I found an american piano teacher so it's time to get serious!

That reminds I've got a les paul I'm sort of trying to sell if anyone's interested. Not cheap but a very, very nice axe

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I have a 67 note midi keyboard here with me in the DR that is USB bus powered and 1TB of samples/VSTs to play along with.

Good for everything related to my general music production. My audio interface is also bus powered, so I can basically run a 8-10 channel board with preamps and converters powered directly by my mac laptop. very nice and portable!

But I've been wanting to learn formal piano for ages (I'm mainly a guitar player) and I had bought right before leaving Canada (didn't know at the time I was going to be living here) a Yamaha P155 piano. High end, good enough that it's probably worth it to bring it over.
I found an american piano teacher so it's time to get serious!

That reminds I've got a les paul I'm sort of trying to sell if anyone's interested. Not cheap but a very, very nice axe

you better not tell windeguy where you live. he will be at your door before day?s end.