The Clintons? Haiti Screw-Up, As Told By Hillary?s Emails

Beenaway

May 27, 2013
I can back up what Chelsea said - while the agencies were busy hiring vehicles at $450 per day and securing the nicest ?300 per night hotels, some folks were busy getting food and water to people - Muncheez owner, for example, was using his kitchen at the top of Rue Panamerican to feed literally thousands for free while the golf course at Petionville Club was being pressed into action by the locals and supported by Mr Penn.... I was involved in getting child family members off the street and out of there and only really went back fully a couple of months later. (Got a roasting on this forum for child smuggling as I remember) This is when I realised that the Aid business really was just another wing of the US / Haliburton / Military Industrial Complex that dealt with extracting profit from countries that were not ready for their brand of shock capitalism yet...
Don't want to sound like a wacky conspiracy theorist but these guys are totally shameless - and the Clinton Foundation is a part of that tragedy.....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I know people who have volunteered and done work there.
They say the same..... not enough progress for the effort and money expended.

One friend was installing solar equipment..... donated by the manufacturer.

Nobody was fool enough to ship to Haiti.... shipped to RD and trucked in directly to the site.
Things have a habit of vanishing, apparently.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
People can have a social conscience. For profit corporations or profit orientated entities cannot. Profits at all costs. Natural disasters, wars or situations of human suffering are merely an opportunity to make money. If a positive benefit results, that is a bonus.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
I don't see how she is not charged with crimes in USA. On face value have that server with classified docs is illegal.

Beenaway

May 27, 2013
People can have a social conscience. For profit corporations or profit orientated entities cannot. Profits at all costs. Natural disasters, wars or situations of human suffering are merely an opportunity to make money. If a positive benefit results, that is a bonus.

This on the face of it true enough.
However, in my experience of living and working in Haiti in particular I found something that I thought I would never find. Publicly owned corps have a lawful obligation to maximise shareholder value - anything else and they in trouble so yes they are unlikely to be able to afford a social conscience - it is ingrained in their nature.
Aid agencies seem to have very little in the way of any kind of conscience which is not surprising as they are not under the same kind of scrutiny as PLCs.
I made money in Haiti - that is why I went there - initially to work and then I ran a business installing fibre optic cables under the streets of Port au Prince amongst other things. I made a little money but the biggest impact was the good employees became contractors, employed other folks and secured a good life for their families - everyone could send their kids to school and the doctor, buy enough food and had a decent life. I am still in touch with them and they all are doing well 5 years on - sustainability I think the aid agencies would call it.
I cannot say this about the aid agencies who quite frankly were too busy staying in expensive hotels, driving expansive cars and having strategy planning meetings rather than getting out there in the **** and the mud and actually doing anything real. That is in between whoring and drinking / doing coke in the DR for 1 week out of 4 - all at yours and my expense either through our tax or donations.
Capitalism on a small scale does have positive impact - I have seen it with my own eyes. Capitalism on a large scale is destructive for Haiti and aid is the most destructive - DINEPRA made damned sure the water truck business failed in their effort to 'aid' water distribution. Clinton's rice scam made damned sure the rice farmers were buggered. The same for Haitian pigs.
These are not unintended consequences - they are bloody obvious consequences.
I always say theat when I really lose it I will post names, places, events and some of the scams I have seen. I have an old school friend who is CEO of one of the biggest aid agency in the world (UK Branch) so I hesitate to expose these giys - he is a good man and I have to believe he is trying to sort it out.

As I always say - at the risk of sounding like a foil hat wearing conspiracy theorist- the aid business is just the wing of the Military industrial complex that deals with countries so fkd that they are not ready to be exploited by the IMF and World Bank using shock capitalism.

So to sum up - I made money out of Haiti and so did my colleagues (employees and contractors).
I am going back there this month for a visit on behalf of a friend to drum some more business. My only problem is which of these friends do I have time to visit?

Can the aid agency workers say that?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Peter - this is SO true - sadly not just for Haiti but for the entire developing world!

I remember when I first met some of the "aid" workers -- in this case USAID here in the DR - when the woman's main concern was whether or not she would "get her price" for her SUV when leaving the DR in two years -- She revealed that she had wanted to sell it in Africa but could not get enough money - and so USAID shipped it over here.

I was dumbfounded. The US government ships SUV's around the world for employees?

Then I got to party a bit with the head of UNICEF here who lived in a --- well - palace - by my standards - while at the time UNICEF had one active project in the country. (I had to call Switzerland to get a call back from Columbia or Uruguay or somewhere to tell me what it was.)

Then I went to Haiti with a friend who worked for USAID here in the DR -- and got to attend a party thrown by USAID Haiti - flowing wine, cater buffet....

As someone who has spent a lifetime working with various non profits and grass roots groups inside the US - I was .. stunned to see the opulence of it all.

There is an entire body of books on this topic,
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/53331.Lords_of_Poverty

I have read as many as I could stand.

Now I just give money right into the hand of someone who needs it.

(Not to condemn the folks who are working in these fields - I am sure that most of them went into hoping to "change the world" -- well

maybe

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I don't see how she is not charged with crimes in USA. On face value have that server with classified docs is illegal.

If you read the various biographies about her when her husband was President ,it is indeed a surprise that she has not been charged on stealing charges

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
wow, i was all charged up...i was in santi when it struck a baby with my name was just born and i was wired...of course housing was on my mind i contacted alot of peeps no one would do anything except say that there was a study going on and they would get back to me ha ha ha never..

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I remember the day disaster struck Haiti .. I had been in la Romana for two weeks and there were daily shakes and I was waiting for the big one that came elsewhere . But the immediate response to the disaster was very positive maybe thanks to the huge TV coverage of the total despair in the capital. There were so many financial offers from other countries that I am told never materialised and then the Clinton Foundation got involved and promised much but again there have been so many press stories that in reality nothing much was happening . I have always thought that these american foundations of the rich and famous are a good tax break and they draw in others peoples money with little accountability . So I am very interested in Beenaways observations that seem to confirm that the principal consideration is not social welfare but a chance to grow a foundations wealth . Thanks for the posting

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Kipling -- I think that you will find that it is not just "American" aid organizations but international ones as well. Most of the European countries have the same m.o. -- most of the "aid" goes back to the country that gives it - in terms of contracts - and most of the money gets eaten up by "expenses" before it hits the ground.

Exceptions are few and far between

But, of course, it is only reasonable that if the organization actually LIVES off of poverty, there will be little incentive to eliminate it.

Beenaway

May 27, 2013
K

But, of course, it is only reasonable that if the organization actually LIVES off of poverty, there will be little incentive to eliminate it.

And this is a lot of the problem - an aid provider's aim should be to pout themselves out of business - they have completed their job only when they are no longer needed. This is a direct conflict of interest for career aid workers.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
MAnnie , I think that in many countries the laws relating to charitable foundations are tighter and enforced and also there are some wonderful foundations doing charitable work in Africa with very little expense . I do not think that the practice of adopting children was introduced in the Haiti crisis. It is still a good force in Africa and I adopted two children there and sent them $10 per week but now they are adults with jobs .

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Although this thread confirms my suspicions and thoughts about charitable work like this, it is still sad to read.

The description of parties and I expect some fancy 'planning meetings' galls me.