Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Cost Of Living In The DR

You might want to checkout page 12 of today's issue of "Diario Libre" newspaper.
    NOTE:..."PICHARDO",,,,Don't LOOK!!!!!!

The United Nations lists Santo Domingo as the 5th. most expensive city in Latin America.
    Behind, Buenos Aires, Mexico City, Caracas, and San Juan PR.
    That's not the WORST information in their study.
    Using the year 2,000 as a baseline,..While worker productivity has increased 40% since then, the purchasing power of an hours wage has gone down by 20%!!!!!

Those who own the factories benefit by the increased productivity, 40 % more work, for the same pay, the poor have lost 20% purchasing power over the last 15 years.
    I TOLD you not to look "P-Man"!!!!
    So much for 50% of Dominicans now in the "Middle Class".

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

2. Likes jimmythegreek, HUG liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Bigger isn't always better............

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone who lives in DR should know by now that COL in Santo Domingo is much higher than the rest of DR.

Start with the rental and real estate prices and go on from there. I even saw for myself that La Sirena prices in SD are MUCH higher on many items than in their store in San Cristobal.

Administrator
    DR1.com

5. Likes jimmythegreek liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Criss Colon View Post
    You might want to checkout page 12 of today's issue of "Diario Libre" newspaper.
    NOTE:..."PICHARDO",,,,Don't LOOK!!!!!!

The United Nations lists Santo Domingo as the 5th. most expensive city in Latin America.
    Behind, Buenos Aires, Mexico City, Caracas, and San Juan PR.
    That's not the WORST information in their study.
    Using the year 2,000 as a baseline,..While worker productivity has increased 40% since then, the purchasing power of an hours wage has gone down by 20%!!!!!

Those who own the factories benefit by the increased productivity, 40 % more work, for the same pay, the poor have lost 20% purchasing power over the last 15 years.
    I TOLD you not to look "P-Man"!!!!
    So much for 50% of Dominicans now in the "Middle Class".

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
    Electricity expensive

Food can be expensive-depending on what you buy. No imported items-then your bill is lower

Gasoline-crazy expensive-100% tax in there.

Clothing-expensive.

Cable-Phone-Internet-I do not find them expensive compared to the U.S., but reliability of internet is an issue.

Flying in and out of the airport-Expensive-Highest airport taxes in the world.

Medical-Not expensive compared tot he U.S. at least.

Education-Expensive, if you send to a private school.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

8. Likes Criss Colon liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Phone and internet is very expensive in the DR and so is milk. In Europe I pay approx RD25 for a liter of skimmed milk more than half what I paid in the DR.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine didn't believe me when I said that with my family I need Usd6000/month to live just ok. I'd live like a king with that in my hometown.

11. Likes Criss Colon liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post
    A friend of mine didn't believe me when I said that with my family I need Usd6000/month to live just ok. I'd live like a king with that in my hometown.
    Are you from from a small town ? Because 6000 USD per month would give you a nice and comfortable life in Paris, London, Brussels but NOT the life of a king (especially with 4 kids).
    Last edited by Africaida; 09-03-2015 at 03:28 PM.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Africaida View Post
    Are you from from a small town ? Because 6000 USD per month would give you a nice and comfortable life in Paris, London, Brussels but NOT the life of a king (especially with 4 kids).
    Exactly, and all three of those towns have rough winters. Here's an apples to apples comparison between Santo Domino and George Town, Grand Cayman, where a 3br apartment costs almost five times as much in GC than SD. Y'all are getting a steal of a deal.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...y2=George+Town

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DRob View Post
    Exactly, and all three of those towns have rough winters. Here's an apples to apples comparison between Santo Domino and George Town, Grand Cayman, where a 3br apartment costs almost five times as much in GC than SD. Y'all are getting a steal of a deal.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...y2=George+Town
    Winters are not rough, they are just winters (NY have rough winters).

I don't know the COL DR vs Grand Cayman is comparing apple to apple comparison because one is a British territory (besides the fact that it is a tax heaven of course).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast