The Cost Of Living In The DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You might want to checkout page 12 of today's issue of "Diario Libre" newspaper.
NOTE:..."PICHARDO",,,,Don't LOOK!!!!!!

The United Nations lists Santo Domingo as the 5th. most expensive city in Latin America.
Behind, Buenos Aires, Mexico City, Caracas, and San Juan PR.
That's not the WORST information in their study.
Using the year 2,000 as a baseline,..While worker productivity has increased 40% since then, the purchasing power of an hours wage has gone down by 20%!!!!!

Those who own the factories benefit by the increased productivity, 40 % more work, for the same pay, the poor have lost 20% purchasing power over the last 15 years.
I TOLD you not to look "P-Man"!!!!
So much for 50% of Dominicans now in the "Middle Class".

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Anyone who lives in DR should know by now that COL in Santo Domingo is much higher than the rest of DR.

Start with the rental and real estate prices and go on from there. I even saw for myself that La Sirena prices in SD are MUCH higher on many items than in their store in San Cristobal.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
You might want to checkout page 12 of today's issue of "Diario Libre" newspaper.

The United Nations lists Santo Domingo as the 5th. most expensive city in Latin America.
Using the year 2,000 as a baseline,..While worker productivity has increased 40% since then, the purchasing power of an hours wage has gone down by 20%!!!!!

Those who own the factories benefit by the increased productivity, 40 % more work, for the same pay, the poor have lost 20% purchasing power over the last 15 years.

Electricity expensive

Food can be expensive-depending on what you buy. No imported items-then your bill is lower

Gasoline-crazy expensive-100% tax in there.

Clothing-expensive.

Cable-Phone-Internet-I do not find them expensive compared to the U.S., but reliability of internet is an issue.

Flying in and out of the airport-Expensive-Highest airport taxes in the world.

Medical-Not expensive compared tot he U.S. at least.

Education-Expensive, if you send to a private school.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
A friend of mine didn't believe me when I said that with my family I need Usd6000/month to live just ok. I'd live like a king with that in my hometown.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
A friend of mine didn't believe me when I said that with my family I need Usd6000/month to live just ok. I'd live like a king with that in my hometown.

Are you from from a small town ? Because 6000 USD per month would give you a nice and comfortable life in Paris, London, Brussels but NOT the life of a king (especially with 4 kids).

Last edited:

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Are you from from a small town ? Because 6000 USD per month would give you a nice and comfortable life in Paris, London, Brussels but NOT the life of a king (especially with 4 kids).

Exactly, and all three of those towns have rough winters. Here's an apples to apples comparison between Santo Domino and George Town, Grand Cayman, where a 3br apartment costs almost five times as much in GC than SD. Y'all are getting a steal of a deal.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...Islands&city1=Santo+Domingo&city2=George+Town

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Exactly, and all three of those towns have rough winters. Here's an apples to apples comparison between Santo Domino and George Town, Grand Cayman, where a 3br apartment costs almost five times as much in GC than SD. Y'all are getting a steal of a deal.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...Islands&city1=Santo+Domingo&city2=George+Town

Winters are not rough, they are just winters :) (NY have rough winters).

I don't know the COL DR vs Grand Cayman is comparing apple to apple comparison because one is a British territory (besides the fact that it is a tax heaven of course).

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008

If middle class is defined as making less tan $230usd per month tan the 50% is correct

Serge1960

Apr 2, 2014
When speaking of Electrical costs being high, it's all relative and here's why.... on Long Island , where I live with PSEG ( Formerly LIPA ) my cost of Electricity, Everything totalled comes to .25 kwh, my last bill from Edenorte 7/07/2015 to 8/06/15 came to 1074.04 Rd And Two Of Three INVERTER Type A/C's were running night & day with 4 fans as well.

So We used a total of 207 Kw if I use 44 peso's to the dollar, my Bill in USD is $ 24.41 apply to the Kwh the DELIVERED cost per Kw is 0.12 less than half of Long Island costs, and Im happy with that, but for those who have high bills applying energy conservation like thermal windows, Insulation, better A/C systems etc etc... you can save on the cost of electricity.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
So We used a total of 207 Kw ......

I can not believe that you only used 204 KW if all that stuff you mentioned is connected to the meter and the meter is not rigged. Just the 4 fans running would total about 75% of that. Fans run about 50-70 watts each, times 4 will give you a minimum of about 144KW per month running night and day. Add in lights, TV, refrigerator, computer and the 2-3 air conditioners , etc. and you are waaaay over 204KW per month.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I don't have A/c and I don't run fans when I'm not home. So small invertor with two batteries, tv, hot water on about 30 minutes a day, FRIDGE, one ceiling fan and two floor fans, two computers, camera system, and two oe three lights on at the same time, for probably 8 -10 hours max and my bill has been as low as 154 kwH in Feb and as high as 247 in March. Current Bill - 191 AT COST OF $985.29 PESOS.

Serge1960

Apr 2, 2014
you may not believe but is true... I dont like a hot & humid house & I have a copy of the bill Santiago DR, If you recall I use Inverter Duty ( Variable Speed Compressor & Evaporator fans) Daikin Systems 20 SEER Units , an 18k for the main area & a 15k for the Master BR area, the second BR, no need to run. I have Two Hunter Energy efficient Fans, and two MINKA fans. Lights I do use LED's & Some flourescents as well. The Refrigerator is 10 years old by no means an energy save model, but my neighbors below & across from me see my windows are closed & AC is always running. And I used 207 Kwh not 204

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
What is the model number of the 18k unit, the following is the closest I could find without a model number. Interested in the specs as to the power consumption in cooling. My portable one which is only 14k uses about the same as the 18k one in the chart (That's 1KW of power per hour of operation). I have heard about the "Inverter" type and would be very interested in operational costs.

There are 720 hours in a 30 day month.

2558f13.jpg

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When speaking of Electrical costs being high, it's all relative and here's why.... on Long Island , where I live with PSEG ( Formerly LIPA ) my cost of Electricity, Everything totalled comes to .25 kwh, my last bill from Edenorte 7/07/2015 to 8/06/15 came to 1074.04 Rd And Two Of Three INVERTER Type A/C's were running night & day with 4 fans as well.

So We used a total of 207 Kw if I use 44 peso's to the dollar, my Bill in USD is $ 24.41 apply to the Kwh the DELIVERED cost per Kw is 0.12 less than half of Long Island costs, and Im happy with that, but for those who have high bills applying energy conservation like thermal windows, Insulation, better A/C systems etc etc... you can save on the cost of electricity.

Please post your account #, and address, I'm going to turn you in!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I have heard about the "Inverter" type and would be very interested in operational costs.

I have no personal experience, but my wife?s sister bought one of these as new, as well the sisters husbands niece, and they told that running it the day and night, the cause about 2000-3000 peso bill.

Not sure about the BTU amount, I would think 12k, as the bedrooms are rather small.

We have no a/c due to our location, and rather "free" use of electricity costs us roughly 1300 pesos monthly.

Serge1960

Apr 2, 2014
What is the model number of the 18k unit, the following is the closest I could find without a model number. Interested in the specs as to the power consumption in cooling. My portable one which is only 14k uses about the same as the 18k one in the chart (That's 1KW of power per hour of operation). I have heard about the "Inverter" type and would be very interested in operational costs.

There are 720 hours in a 30 day month.

2558f13.jpg

Santiago - The Modelis a RKN18KEVJU - Condenser & FTXN18KVJU - Hi wall Evap unit, made by Daikin, I brought in & installed. Chris.... sorry my bill is legit.... but your always invited when Im there... ss long as you want to take the long ride to Cabaret

Status
Not open for further replies.