Hurricane San Zenon - Sept 3, 1930

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Today marks the anniversary of one of the worst hurricanes to hit the DR. Thousands died, including one of Mr. AE's uncles [he went out to get supplies as the eye passed, thinking it was over. On his way back the winds whipped up and a sheet of zinc roofing hit him. He died from the infection.]

Good article in today's Al Momento: [click to see old photos - computer translated]

http://almomento.net/un-dia-como-hoy-el-ciclon-san-zenon-dejo-miles-de-muertos-y-destruccion/132886

On this day the cyclone San Zeno left thousands dead and destruction

By HECTOR TINEO

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (Source: DIARIODOMINICANO.com) .- On September 3, 1930, a day like today, the city of San Domingo, was devastated by the cyclone of San Zeno. It caused the greatest tragedy caused by a phenomenon of this kind in the Dominican Republic. They killed more than two thousand people and the city was devastated.

When the cyclone hit the President Rafael Leonidas Trujillo Molina, he was 18 days in office. He was sworn in as head of state on August 16, 1930.

The consequences of the hurricane and the recovery plan carried out allowed him to consolidate power and reelected in 1934. Commenting on the event, the historian and novelist Ramon Marrero Aristy, in his book "The Dominican Republic origin and destination America's oldest Christian people ", Volume III, points:

"In the early afternoon, with apocalyptic fury, the dreaded hurricane devastated the city, leaving behind more than two thousand dead and fifteen thousand wounded and destroyed entire neighborhoods, turned into piles of rubble.

"On the serious economic crisis, is furious nature download the scariest sowed chaos. President Trujillo grew face of adversity. Working tirelessly in a makeshift office in the Fortaleza Ozama, he issued emergency provisions designed to heal such severe injuries, to maintain order and to lift the drooping spirits of the inhabitants of the capital of the Republic ".

Meanwhile, "The National Congress suspended constitutional guarantees, and Trujillo gave the President extraordinary powers to take all necessary steps to initiate national recovery, to tone the audience who gave a vibrant spirit proclaims the 5th, it was a clarion measures to promote the tremendous effort required for reconstruction. "

Trujillo said: "Given the enormous catastrophe that destroyed the city of Santo Domingo and its environs, I am deeply moved. The terrifying picture that has been offered to my eyes as soon as the fury of the wind allowed me to throw myself into the street, was wounded in the depths of my heart citizen and president. At first under the embarrassment that gave me such a fatal event, tears welled up in my eyes that I never dreamed spill; aware of my responsibilities but I recovered quickly and I have concentrated all my energy and all my activity in the task of providing relief to the people crushed by the terrible disgraced.

"I wanted to, above all, fast printing and some of the people have not been and will never be abandoned by the government. No effort seems bigger than it can be spared in this hour of grief. I know next to me are all Dominicans and foreigners live with us; that all friendly countries will come to our aid as we are announcing the respective governments; but above all foreign relief we sincerely thank, is the immediate mercy of the Government not for a moment abandon their willingness to support the people so that they can withstand the ordeal to which he has subjected the destiny ".

President Trujillo also stressed in his speech to the nation after the cyclone San Zeno:

"The National Congress has just investirme of all powers in order to facilitate the design and implementation of the necessary measures. Such powers mean nothing to me unless I had been given as to strengthen the action already had begun to make effective government assistance to the underprivileged population and to protect property that escaped the ravages of wind. Martial law has thus been declared; but this extreme measure could only be taken in the interest of eliminating any obstacles to the rescue work they have had to devote all available items.

"I recommend, therefore, the greatest serenity possible resignation and advise all those who together with experienced material losses suffered great pain of losing family members. Amid so much ruin, a desolation, only the masculine spirit that the Dominican people has managed to cope with the great events of history, can help in the immense work of rebuilding what we have lost. "

Addressing the nation after San Zeno cyclone that devastated the capital on September 3, 1930, Trujillo concluded:

"Fellow citizens:

"I have also been thrown into the street my family; I also have had to console despair of mine under the wrath of the hurricane; I am also under the direct weight of the great misfortune, and I also had to drink my own tears before this terrifying picture that the capital city of the Republic offers. For I am identified with the people to suffer with him and help decisively to rebuild their homes in ruin. "

The historian Ramon Marrero Aristy, notes that "Upon learning of the world the news of the dreadful catastrophe that had partially destroyed the city of Santo Domingo, began arriving aid of all kinds, more quickly in neighboring countries, which sent medical brigades and nurses to care for thousands of wounded.

"Warships from Holland, England, the United States, Cuba and other countries, arrived in Santo Domingo with lots of food to sustain the population, which was almost blocked because roads and bridges leading to it had been destroyed by the violence of the water that fell on day 3.

Marrero Aristy says that the greatest contribution to the rapid restoration of normalcy gave the President himself, who, day and night, was devoted to take appropriate measures to ensure that no catastrophe sank the country permanently.

Notes that alongside Trujillo was "the whole nation, that flocked to lend their assistance to the Capital of the Republic. It was a company of enormous national solidarity and constructive efforts directed personally by President Trujillo.

See more:

http://www.diariodominicano.com/cul...san-zenon-deja-miles-de-muertos-y-destruccion