Hola Super Playero, Adious Sh1tty Pola

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Respect where it's due.

When Super Pola opened in Sosua everyone thought Playero was going to be in trouble. Well, they were wrong!
Look at the amount of cars in their car parks for starters!!!

"Pola" is like a convenience store in comparison, they bring out their special deal magazines with all the huge saving in it yet when you show up to buy whether it be chicken, Angus Burgers, Baby Formula (the list goes on), they never have it in stock.
Gringo items, a few frozen bits and pieces in the frozen area is about it. The vegetables and fruits that everyone use to rave about are about as fresh as week old sh!t. I hate the place and will not go back there again.

Playero maybe a few pesos higher on certain items here and there (they're cheaper on some too), but you can do ALL your shopping under one roof, with a pleasant smile from the cashier (lacking in Pola) and decent products in your basket!

I hate Pola!!

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Respect where it's due.

When Super Pola opened in Sosua everyone thought Playero was going to be in trouble. Well, they were wrong!

"Pola" is like a convenience store in comparison, they bring out their special deal magazines with all the huge saving in it yet when you show up to buy whether it be chicken, Angus Burgers, Baby Formula (the list goes on), they never have it in stock.
Gringo items, a few frozen bits and pieces in the frozen area is about it. The vegetables and fruits that everyone use to rave about are about as fresh as week old sh!t. I hate the place and will not go back there again.

Playero maybe a few pesos higher on certain items here and there (they're cheaper on some too), but you can do ALL your shopping under one roof, with a pleasant smile from the cashier (lacking in Pola) and decent products in your basket!

I hate Pola!!

Strange how different people have different experiences.

I use both and find them both more than adequate for a one-horse town in a 'developing' country.
I know the cashiers at S Pola and often get a smile and it has the advantage that I don't have to run the gauntlet of the AMET highwaymen and mad motoconchos near Playero.
I don't buy frozen stuff so can't comment on that.
Playero meat is generally better than Pola I reckon but that probably depends on what you buy.

Go early in the morning if you want decent fresh veg,that's for sure!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i believe it's "adios". unless you wanted to merge "adios" with "hideous"? :laugh:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have never found savings big enough to make me stop at two stores for my shopping.

Both are fine but the physical size of Playero tells you about the product selection and range.
They aren't exactly Hertz and Avis battling for market share..........David and Goliath maybe.

And as we all know, Goliath wins most times..........

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As I recall very well, it was the original large supermarket in Sosua that was Sh1tty. I am happy to see improvement there.

Competition has been a good thing.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
How a person can hate one store is beyond me. The stores all provide a reasonable selection of goods at an overall similar price. The people working at both places seem nice to me. The stores are clean with a big parking lot. Playero is larger with a larger selection. Neither is worthy of hate. In fact, the stores seem to be getting better. I hope that all the other problems I encounter in my life will be so small so I can focus hate on supermarkets or maybe Oreo cookies vs. Dino brand cookies...Tostidos vs. the other brands of chips...Hunts ketchup vs. Baldon... Actually today I hope I have electrical power, water from the street, my garbage picked up... and Bohemia beer. jajajaja...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
ohmmmm, perhaps you did not visit Playero a number of years ago in the original sized store they had. With high prices, dated products, poor service and people stalking you around the store and check out people giving you change in candy with no smile on their faces.

I am happy to see they have gotten better to the point that people rave about them.

Fredo

Mar 17, 2013
i stopped going to the ?super colamdo" Pola long time ago...
Playero has its imperfections but then again we do live on the underdeveloped side of a 3de world country, and we all know very well how hard it is to do business here.
So I am very happy that Playero exists and that I can get what I need in one stop..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
How a person can hate one store is beyond me.

ever since the info about opening super pola was made public people here were going nuts. it became a question of life and death. i'm surprised no duels have been fought in defense of one or the other. rather peculiar, i gotta say. but when your intellectual, emotional and social life has been reduced to smouldering ruins after much anticipated yet anticlimactic move to the caribbean paradise you learn to appreciate entertainment, however small.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
I have never found savings big enough to make me stop at two stores for my shopping.

Both are fine but the physical size of Playero tells you about the product selection and range.
They aren't exactly Hertz and Avis battling for market share..........David and Goliath maybe.

And as we all know, Goliath wins most times..........

i like to shop at alot of stores bring my address book and my phone # printed to pass out...4-6pm is good time good luck for me has been 6-9pm dont buy at everystore...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
ever since the info about opening super pola was made public people here were going nuts. it became a question of life and death. i'm surprised no duels have been fought in defense of one or the other. rather peculiar, i gotta say. but when your intellectual, emotional and social life has been reduced to smouldering ruins after much anticipated yet anticlimactic move to the caribbean paradise you learn to appreciate entertainment, however small.

They, whoever "they" are, say we are what we eat. This thread does confirm that.

Fredo

Mar 17, 2013
I don't have to run the gauntlet of the AMET highwaymen and mad motoconchos near Playero.

so why not get all your **** in order and legal, they stopped me once checked my paper work and send me on my way, never got stopped again.
Mad moto conchos are everywhere, less so where there are Amet stations

Jul 28, 2014
Respect where it's due.

I hate Pola!!

At least you didn't call it Polla....Jaja