Pressure Tank

mykulairon

Jul 14, 2012
Yes, I'm back once again with yet another inquiry. Could someone tell me where I can find a pressure tank (preferably precharged)? For some reason, even with the low water pressure around where I am, there's really no demand for pressure tanks I guess. Someone please help!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
OchoA

"Pre-Charged"? - Don't think that is going to happen, people usually use a pump to keep them charged along with a pressure switch.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
One with an air bladder or one without. An air line is hooked up to a connection point on your water pump and a regulator then connected to the tank. Pump & regulator adds air to the tank. Water pumped in compresses the air and voila you have pressure.

The secret is to not let your installer bleed all the air out of the tank as they finish the installation. If you are going to install without the airline and using a bladderless tank, make sure you have an easy way to completely drain the tank and allow the water draining out to be replaced by air. You would do this if somehow that tank fills with water and has no air. This will cause your pump to cycle on and off constantly as water cannot be compressed.

Buy the largest tank you can afford and can fit where you want it installed. The bigger the tank, the less your pump has to run, the less electricity you use and the longer service life your pump will have.

mykulairon

Jul 14, 2012
Yeah, what I mean by precharged is that the tank doesn't require the use of a compressor. The newer lineup by Water Works in the states are awesome and they are much more efficient (and have a much higher capacity rating) than the old style tanks. I was thinking of shipping one over and just thought to check and see if a similar product is carried in DR.

Where are the tanks sold btw?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Any ferreteria, if you are in santo Domingo, in ensanche la fe there is a place that specializes in water pumps and tanks. They represent the pedrollo pumps from Italy. (Ferreteria Santa Cruz).

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No experience here with the Water Works tank and do not see why it would be more "efficient" than a tank sold in the DR with a bladder. It would probably be more durable than the tanks sold here, but I see no reason for "efficiency" and the description in the link below makes no mention of "efficiency" benefits.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Water-Worker-32-Gal-Pressurized-Well-Tank-HT32B/202846484

I just use a tank without a bladder. Works fine. Sold at any ferreteria.

mykulairon

Jul 14, 2012
Thanks everyone. Any brand recommendations? The one I am looking at is an 86G (220 Gallon Equivalent with galvanized tank, not really sure what all that means but it sounds good).

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm always one to say the bigger, the better, but 220 gallons is really pushing it. I think mine is 20 or 30 gallons.

With a 220 gallon tank, your pump would only run something like once a day.............. for an hour or so! ha ha

My God, that sounds like it's almost as big as our old oil tank, when we converted to natural gas and it was removed from the basement we realized how huge it is.

JD, after you had told my husband that bigger is better, he hooked up a large pressure tank to our system in DR [a Dominican neighbor had it just sitting there, and sold it for 1000 pesos], and what a difference. The biggest/best part of it - for me anyway - is that when the electric goes off I still have enough pressure for the on-demand gas water heaters to function! And the well pump isn't running as often either.

mykulairon

Jul 14, 2012
The home is over 3500 sq. ft and still expanding. So far there are 2 bathrooms and a kitchen downstairs, 1 bathroom, kitchen, washer dryer area, and newly constructed bathroom on the second floor. My plan is to make sure that the pump and tank both last as long as possible (i'm hoping at least 10-15 years). That's the reason for the big tank size