Hysterectomy in the DR...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
What happens in the DR if a woman is diagnosed with cervical cancer and needs to have a hysterectomy?

If the woman doesn't have enough money to pay in a private clinic/hospital, is she left to her own devices? Can a public hospital do this procedure with some semblance of competence?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
public hospital can perform the procedure but if she has cancer there may be more to it than just cut that mofoka out. she may need chemo, radiation or other form of treatment too. and that may not be easily available.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I was told the doctors won't know if chemo or radiation will be needed until they do the hysterectomy.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
where is the woman located? danilo has upgraded few public hospitals in the country.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
La Vega in the Cibao region. Any public hospitals in the area that could be recommended?

Santiago's pretty close so that's an option.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Another question-what is the possible waiting period for such a procedure in a public hospital, if it is deemed a matter of extreme urgency?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Another question-what is the possible waiting period for such a procedure in a public hospital, if it is deemed a matter of extreme urgency?

if you read about this gal who jumped from an elevado and had hysterectomy as a result of her injuries you'd know that life saving procedures happen like in any other hospital. i do not know if cancer is considered an emergency.

cabral y baez is being renovated as we speak so maybe it is improving.

i had my hysterectomy in 2011, in case you need some more info on how it is done and what to expect.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Yes, Dv8. If you could send me some info (via pm if you don't feel comfortable talking about it on this thread) I would greatly appreciate it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i can do it here, it may help the others. i was diagnosed with fibroid, it was big enough for my doc to opt for total hysterectomy (uterus and cervix). i had health insurance so i was scheduled to have a surgery in clinica union. in 2011 full price, before deductions, was 54k pesos, which included overnight stay in a suit more resembling a hotel. nice place.

in any case, there are few techniques for this surgery and my doc preferred a regular incision (much like c section). i think it depends on age of the patient, reason for the surgery and other factors. i got a dumb down shot and then epidural. i was somewhat awake during the procedure, that is i felt pulling and digging but no pain. and, of course, i could not move. all this was a safer option than being put down under. the surgery does not last long anyways.

after the surgery they rolled me out to the recuperation area. they monitor your vitals there and wait for you to fully wake up. maybe an hour later i was rolled up to my room. post op drama was catheter and IV drip. it's practically impossible to move around. the pain was nonexistent, i was given painkiller for the night but i could not sleep.

in the morning it was usual checks, i insisted on going home. so off we went.

a week or two afterwards are not particularly joyful. i heal like a viralata so i was not in pain, it was more of a discomfort. you also cannot sneeze. when i sneezed i had to look down my pants because i thought my intestines shot out of my stomach. it hurts.

there are some downsides to the surgery. it shortens the lifespan by few years. it increases the risk of further surgeries, such as removing ovaries. it increases the risk of incontinence (did i mention sneezing? yeah, just don't sneeze). on a plus side, no more menstruation. that alone makes it worth it.

recuperation time varies. i was up and running in less than a week. our maid took one month to get better. antibiotics are required for about a week following surgery so there are more costs.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
mmm Cancer is definitely an emergency ,speaking from personal experience .. I have had cancer in two positions in my body and in the first case the surgeon told me after the first operation that I had won by only a few weeks .
My sister also had ovarian cancer and died within a year of finding that out ..just too late . I am not a woman but I always believed that the common cervical cancer was not life threatening so maybe a delay is not too bad..maybe wrong!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
mmm Cancer is definitely an emergency ,speaking from personal experience

yes and no. my father had prostate cancer and waited for his surgery. other tumors may be taken out immediately. some may be left in place because the patient is in a terminal stage. in any case, in DR insurance refer to cancer as "enfermedad catastrofica" for the purpose of coverage, which is different than "emergencia". this is why i said it is difficult to know how a public hospital will see it.

as for a cervical cancer, it's one of the leading cancer related death causes in women. it is very possible thou that the doctor is a usual dimwit who cannot be bothered to explain test results. there are few stages of cervical cancer, often the surgery is not required/recommended.

good luck to the lady, hope she gets the help she needs.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Thank you DV8 for that detailed posting , I will give information about colon and bladder cancer operations and treatment which take much more time when the occasion arises . In the meantime , welcome to the survivors club .yes..good luck to the lady and to everyone who is fighting the dreaded ...keep positive !!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
cancer sucks donkey's balls but it can be defeated. so fingers crossed.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Thank you DV8 for that detailed posting , I will give information about colon and bladder cancer operations and treatment which take much more time when the occasion arises . In the meantime , welcome to the survivors club .yes..good luck to the lady and to everyone who is fighting the dreaded ...keep positive !!

glad to know you beat the sucker twice, Kipling. i hope he concedes defeat ,and goes off to pick a fight elsewhere.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
public hospital can perform the procedure but if she has cancer there may be more to it than just cut that mofoka out. she may need chemo, radiation or other form of treatment too. and that may not be easily available.

I am currently going through theses medical procedures as I was diagnosed stage # 3 rectal / colon cancer two months ago...

Thanks God I am living in NC where I can get all theses treatment covered by my health insurance plan.

I am very positive and faithful, still working today during the last week of my treatment...

If Bachata permanently disappear of DR1 now you know what happened to me!

JJ

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you can beat this mofoka. not even a year ago my dad had his surgery for a prostate cancer and he is like new today. his next checkup is a year from now and he's back to cycling daily, living his life. like you, he had a super positive approach and he believed he was going to be well. such attitude can pull a person through some dark times.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Berzin, I feel badly for your friend. DR is the last place I'd want to be treated for cancer. When I was diagnosed I left NJ for surgery. Unfortunately, your friend doesn't have many options. If she needs treatment after the surgery, it is impossibly expensive. I remember Matilda posting about one of her neighbors in the Cibao needing $4,000USD a month for chemo [I think], no insurance, an impossible situation.