jewish history of sosua

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Diario Libre today recounts the history of jews in sosua. good read: http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias/el-judio-que-huyo-en-una-maleta-GE1143778

rough translation below:

Rudolf Herzberg left the line. Pretending that he was taking a bundle of clothing from the suitcase he used a stone to make a hole in its bottom, covered the mouth of his fifteen months old son, and hid him in the luggage in order to board the ship destined for Sosua, on the north coast of Dominican Republic.

It was 1940 and Herzberg and his wife Ilse were fleeing violent persecution of the regime of Adolf Hitler (President of Germany from 1933 to 1945) against the Jews. The purpose was to make Germany clear of this race, considered inferior. During the chase, they were forced to leave their homes and carry the Star of David, a Jewish symbol, on their clothing, to be easily identified. It is said that about six million of them were killed in the Holocaust.

Many German and Austrian Jews tried to go to America, but did not obtain the necessary visas to enter. Historians tell us that in the midst of the Great Depression, Americans remained reluctant to welcome them, fearing the competition for jobs and because of the social programs overload. The only countries that lent help were the Dominican Republic and the Philippines, which in 1938 granted 100,000 and 10,000 visas respectively, to receive a part of Jewish refugees following the agreement of the Conference of Evian, France, which sought to solve the situation of the descendants of the Hebrew people.

After arriving at the port of Genoa, Italy, the Nazi Gestapo (German secret police) did not authorize Herzberg's son to board the ship because only he and his wife had the aforementioned visa. Desperation drove him to put the child in a suitcase, and he was taken out minutes after boarding the ship.

"They took a huge risk, because if they had been discovered, they would be shot and tossed into the sea", Denny, the suitcase child, now 76 years old told Diario Libre.

"The journey took thirty days, we were in the third class, the food was very limited and I was malnourished when we arrived in the Dominican Republic", he said.

The book "Sos?a, p?ginas contra el olvido", published in May this year as a part of the celebration of the 75th anniversary of the formation of the Jewish settlement in the country, collects about 36 stories of the ways the Jews came to Sosua.

"One of the stories that most strikes me is that of the married couple Julius and Esther Papernik, who were captured in France during a raid made by the French police in the street and sent to a German concentration camp where Esther gave birth. Upon being apprehended, was already in gestation, it was 1941, "said the historian of Jewish origin, Juli Wellisch.

As described in his book, the baby was given to some nuns who provided assistance in the place they were located. A year later, the couple managed to escape, and could find their son in the orphanage. The family arrived in Sosua in the summer of 1947.

"This event shows the world that we have always been welcoming people, that we are good people, and that we offer room to the neediest", said Michael Cohn, minister counselor of Chancery, also of Jewish descent.

Life in Sosua
In May 1940 the first group of Jews, composed of 38 people arrived in Sosua, joining 1,877 people who resided in the municipality, according to the census of 1935. Kurt, Koenin, Cohn, Aaron and Neumann are some of the Jewish names that are part of the memory of a Sos?a that was beginning to emerge.

The mean of transport was the horse. There was no electricity and the water came from wells. The houses were built of wood, they had outside toilets and the cooking was done on the fogon.

"Sosua was very pretty, but there was nothing. There was only one street with caliche. There was no high school, phone or television; we had radio, we listened to the stories and songs, went to school until noon, there was no danger, crime", recalls Joe Benjamin, one of the Jews who still live in the town.

"There was a small library but had almost nothing. There we no things found in the big cities. The food was never a problem, but there was little cultural incentive. It was a fairly isolated village", he said, lost in memories.

Those who lived in that time still remember Christopher Columbus School, today Colegio Luis Hess, honoring the man who was its director for many years, also of Jewish origin. The farms, the synagogue, the common dining room and all life on the spot.

"Had it not been for the Dominicans, none of us were alive. Definitely, Sosua and Dominican Republic are always in my heart!", said Denny, who now resides in the United States, but maintains a residence in Sosua and visits every year with his families.

Downeaster

Mar 20, 2015
My grandfather, Dana Gardner Munro, negotiated for many months with Trujillo to allow European Jews to settle in Dominican Republic. When Trujillo finally agreed after a large monetary consideration from the US, he wanted to settle them on waste land in the campo. My Grandfather pointed out that they were mostly highly educated people, not farmers. Trujillo was adamant and there was much bitter argument. They finally compromised by allowing the refugees to settle in Sosua. My mother was a teenager at the time, living at the American embassy in Santo Domingo. During a time of bitter disagreement between my grandfather and Trujillo she was arrested for allegedly stoning the German embassy.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
part 2

The Jews propelled the development of Sosua.

The Jews who came to Sos?a began teaching Dominicans technology they did not know.

According to the mayor of Sos?a, Ileana Neumann, Dominicans cannot talk about the history of this town without mentioning the contribution made by the Jews to the development of this area, especially within dairy and livestock industry.

"It is very important to us to talk about the Jewish colony because it is part of the development of Sosua from 1940 to date, especially from the point of view of investment and the contribution of the legacy of the Jewish community in the municipality", said the councilor of Jewish descent.

The councilor in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Michael Cohn also recalled that both the owners Productos Sos?a and Colchoner?a la Reyna (mattress makers) belonged to this ethnic group.

Since the arrival of Jewish immigrants efforts were made to achieve a high quality of life for them. DORSA was the institution that organized their arrival to the country. Managed from the United States, DORSA established a system of representation in Sosua, responsible for approving the entry of immigrants and assisting them in the process of settlement.

Each of the settlers was assigned to him on loan 80 "acres of land", ten cows, a mule and a horse, as well as assistance and training in agricultural activities of which they little knowledge.

Gradually the land was turned into a irregular parcels whose center was the "Casa Grande", headquarters of DORSA, around which simple tropical refugee homes and community services rose.

Spaces for cinema, sport and dance opened. These activities also involved Dominicans.

A clinic and a program of ongoing malaria prevention was established, with an annex of a dental clinic staffed by Jewish professionals.

Generally, Jews worked in CILCA (Cooperativa Lechera Industrial C. por A.), La Ganadera and Sosua Corporation, of which at present remain the first two but with owners of other nationality.

"The office that belonged to Productos Sosua still exists. Sos?a synagogue and pharmacy are still a part of the Sosua Corporation", said residents of the village.

Industrialization in Sosua

In 1942 the first dairy company forms.

Between 1943-1944 there was a carpentry, tailoring, upholstery, leather goods factory, bakery; production of brushes, cana, brooms, soap, metal work, toys.

In 1945 begins the livestock cooperative and production of first sausages. In that same year the first grocery store opens, later becoming Sosua Cooperative.

In 1946 savings and loan company is built, with a capital of five thousand pesos, Until 1946 operated in DORSA office, white house, dairy cooperative as well as home savings and loan.

Aug 21, 2007
?scar Zazo Martin, the karate instructor in Sosua and teacher at the International School is speaking at a conference on the Jewish settlement of Sosua. Here is the quote from his FaceBook newsfeed, in Spanish, then with FaceBook's English translation:

Para quien le pueda interesar, esta noche a las 7,00 habr? una conferencia a mi cargo sobre el asentamiento jud?o de Sos?a, dentro del ciclo de las migraciones que han compuesto el tejido social dominicano. Ser? en las instalaciones del Centro Cultural de Espa?a en la calle Arzobispo Meri?o, esquina a Arzobisto Portes en Santo Domingo.

For those who may be interested in, tonight at 7,00 there will be a conference to my position on the Jewish settlement of sosua, within the cycle of migration that have composed the social fabric from the Dominican Republic. It will be on the premises of the cultural centre of Spain in the street Archbishop Meri?o, corner to arzobisto portes in Santo Domingo.

Lindsey

Aug 21, 2007
Thanks for the information, Chiri. I am still proud of him, giving a talk in SD in the culture center of Spain on this topic. ?scar is a really nice guy and a fantastic karate teacher.

Lindsey

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Did not mean to detract or distract from what he is doing, Lindsey, just to point out it is a talk, not a conference, which implies a whole set of talks/events. :)

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Just reading about this subject on various internet pages ..The intreging thing is that although RD offered to take up to 100,000 jewish refugees during the WW 2 .only about 700 came and now most live in Santo Domingo .

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Just reading about this subject on various internet pages ..The intreging thing is that although RD offered to take up to 100,000 jewish refugees during the WW 2 .only about 700 came and now most live in Santo Domingo .

Actually most live in NYC or MIA.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i kinda think most of those who came here are long dead. but yeah, interesting story. i visited museum and synagogue in sosua in march/april:

i visited jewish museum, synagogue and cemetery only recently, maybe 2 months ago. i found it very interesting. the museum is tiny but it could easily be extended. i am sure there are many more photos from the era. i would also love to see a juxtaposition of pictures of sosua then/now and the settlers then/later. add more objects from the 40's and 50's, not necessarily used by the settlers, just authentic old junk: typewriters, telephones, coffee grinders, tools and so on. this could be obtained fairly easily and make the museum bigger and much more interesting.

the synagogue is also well worth seeing but there is no guide who can tell its history or explain the setup and background to non-jewish visitors. the cemetery is small but very pretty. it is closed, thou. again, missed opportunity in my opinion. there are quite a few of very old, beautiful graves and the place is very peaceful.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

they agreed to take them because the USA gave Trujillo a sack of money to take them. the reason why most probably did not come was because Trujillo wanted to stick them in some outback campo, and they were not farmer types, but mostly very educated people who wanted to be in an urban setting.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
This is one of those touchy feely senstive threads. Thats all I'm saying.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The "whitening" of the race was one of the reasons that led to Rafael Leonidas Trujillo, a president in 1940, to grant 100,000 visas to Jews fleeing the regime of Adolf Hitler, say the historians.

Since that period, Dominican Republic continued receiving Jews arriving from Germany, Austria, Luxembourg, Poland, Czechoslovakia, China and elsewhere. According to the book "Sos?a, p?ginas contra el olvido" between 1941 and 1944, 56 children were born descendants of Jews and some of them from relationships with Dominicans.

Although there are no specific statistics on the number of descendants of this ethnic group left in Sosua, some estimate that in this town about there remain 26 families descending from nearly 800 families Jewish refugees who arrived in the country.

The mix of the races was evident - recalls historian Juli Wellisch - in Batey, Sosua center, a particular site where residents and visitors used to come, people were speaking German or Yiddish (Jewish language ).

"It used to be that one visiting the Sos?a would find it very strange because there were not so many tourists but people who lived there were those who spoke the language," says the historian.

One of the more symbolic aspects of the existence of the Jewish settlement in Sosua in a Synagogue, a religious center built in 1940 where nowadays an officiant leads the religious ceremony once a month, amid a people living an urban lifestyle .

"Before the activities in the synagogue were well attended. Although I was a Christian I used to accompany my husband, Kurt Wellisch, to these Jewish ceremonies. They were very nice, I remember the celebrations began in the synagogue and concluded at the Oasis restaurant, which no longer exist", recalls Maria Altagracia Miller, 89.

In the synagogue, says Miller, they celebrated the Day of Fasting, of Repentance, the Jewish New Year, Pesa (a dinner where each step of Jews leaving Egypt was remembered).

Jewish settlers were free to develop their religious practices. An agreement signed in January 1940 established that Dominican Republic guaranteed, according to the constitution and laws, that the settlers and their descendants would have the opportunity to continue their lives and occupations without discrimination or persecution.

Little remains of the colony
Many Jews left after the death of Trujillo, due to political instability that occurred in the country. Whereas many of those who stayed in Sosua, including some of their descendants, rest in a Jewish cemetery in the municipality. A simple resting place of rich and poor.

"The Jewish cemetery does not have a mausoleum. The coffins can not be ostentatious. It is a simple rustic wooden coffin that is not even polished because according to the Jewish religion before God no one has wealth. The richest Jew is buried in the same coffin as the poorest. At the cemetery all that there is are some plaques that tell the date of birth, death and something the family puts", said Joe Benjamin, son of Jewish parents.

Until the 1980s the village remained mainly Jewish; with the opening of the Puerto Plata International Airport and the construction of the Autopista del Norte, Sos?a became an important national and international tourist destination and was losing Jewish custom, which started in the country in the month of May, 75 years ago.

"This 75th anniversary is an occasion to continue to say that this small town represents this important part of the history", said the mayor of Sos?a, Ilana Neumann.

In El Batey, there is a museum that tells the story of the emergence of people, culture, merging and a genocide without explanation.

link here: http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias/una-mezcla-de-cultura-de-la-que-aun-quedan-reflejos-YY1144274

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
ive seen one or two...on the streets and a bud of mine(jewish):eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: is probably shuffling around sosua.bothering chicas bald head short bi lingual us guy anyone sees him tell him to email his bud please...might be teaching

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
most of the original settlers eventually left, mainly for the states but also for israel. most are long dead now. they fixed the town anyhow, bringing in new industries and improvement in education. some business started by them are still in sosua. some of the buildings still stand. but ultimately this was never truly their land, even those there are many graves of people who died abroad yet wanted for their bodies to buried in the land that gave them a new life.