How Long is a Cell Number Active?

Megadivo

Sep 8, 2015
Hi,

I am new to the forum. I have a question. I would like to keep my cell # active in DR,so I have the same number and I have found a few sites that let me send money to "top up". Question is how often I have to do this to keep my line active? I've read some sites say every 3 months, send $5 etc. My Carrier is Orange.

Thanks.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I'd top it with a few bucks each month and call it once a month. You probably know asking your provider will give you more specific accurate answers than random online forums. But I heard people keep them open 3 months, so could be something in it.

Jan 17, 2009
It's got to stay active for longer than a month. I've been away for 2 months at a time, and even though I got a message that I needed to pay to re-activate it, just adding 100 pesos on arrival worked. Adding money online directly on Orange has never worked for me. In fact, they have kept my money and gave me no credit (this was inputting the number of an orange card that I purchased here before departure). Imagine they told me I had to go to Puerto Plata to put a claim for the 100 pesos !

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We've been gone as long as 7-8 months and our numbers were waiting for us on Claro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
It's 3 Month, after that you account will be inactive, and your number will pass to a inactivity process which last a year, after that, your number will not be available.
I would suggest don't wait for 3 month, since after that they will give you a hard time getting it back.

There is a service which you can send money to your phone via paypal
it's called
http://paypal-recargacelular.com/

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
One time, I entered a contract with Claro for $15.00 to keep my number for a year, but it stayed on for two years.

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
So, I have a "fren" who will recharge the Orange Phone 100 rdp each month; does anyone know for sure if this scenerio will
work?

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013
I was in the US for close to 4 months and my Orange # worked when I returned. I have since switched to Claro, go figure.

Megadivo

Sep 8, 2015
It's 3 Month, after that you account will be inactive, and your number will pass to a inactivity process which last a year, after that, your number will not be available.
I would suggest don't wait for 3 month, since after that they will give you a hard time getting it back.

There is a service which you can send money to your phone via paypal
it's called
http://paypal-recargacelular.com/

Thanks, is there a way to verify to verify besides calling the number?

Megadivo

Sep 8, 2015
I am also thinking about switching to Claro since My cell didnt work well for Data.... it worked only on EDGE, and I did some research and found out the AT&T phone I have will work on 3G for Claro. Anyone know if I can port that number? it's a prepaid acct.

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
During my last hiatus of just over three months I arrived at SDQ and attempted to use my phone (Orange).
The operator message was to recharge the phone even though pesos had been deposited to the phone
number during my absence. I recharged the phone and all was well; just in a quandry about why the rdp
that was deposited did not allow me to make a phone call upon arrival?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
when you use these, you get a bonus amount of minutes.... 40% extra or so.

Those minutes have an expiry of 2-3 months...... the real minutes are longer (or infinite)

400 pesos gets almost 600
the bonus minutos are only good for local/RD calls.... not USA

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
It's my understanding it's not enough to just top off, that to protect your number the phone has to be used.

Is it enough to call it from the states and keep it on for a minute or two?