Allegro Bavaro

Denisa

Jan 14, 2002
Hello Everyone. This is my first ever forum post so I would appreciate any tips and/or advice from any "pros" out there.
My husband and I are going to the Allegro Bavaro at the end of February. Has anyone been there? Is the resort nice? What scuba diving options are there in this area? Any mountain biking? I have never been to the DR, would appreciate any info.
Thanks.

Dominican Dream

Jan 9, 2002
www.dominican-dreams.com
The hotel is nice with a very good animation team. The beach is sandy and the water is clear. Directly at the beach is a diving center. They could arrange everything you are interested!
Mountain biking is an other topic. You are at the beach. So there are not to much mountains. Biking is possible in the surrounding. Bikes are available in the hotel. For mountain biking you must go inside the country. There I guess it must be possible!

A description of the hotel with nice photos you could find on this page:
www.dominican-dreams.com/english.htm in the section hotel information!

Enjoy your trip

DRW

Jan 23, 2002
Any information about the Allegro Bavaro Resort would be helpful.

Wondering also about nightlife.

I also want to know more about diving in the DR (we are certified)

We are going March 23 - 30. My understanding is that this would be Holy Week. Will we encounter any problems with booking tours or motorized water activities?

If you've learned anything about any of the above, I'd appreciate a reply.

Thank you

Denisa

Jan 14, 2002
I have heard the night life in Punta Cana is mostly at the resorts. I've read the closest "disco" is about a 30 minute taxi ride from the resort.
I have been unable to find any positive diving reports for the Punta Cana area. Looks like most of the better diving is on the North Coast. But I have been in touch with some of the dive operators and they have said from the Allegro resort there are 14 dive spots available, Ranging from 45 to 60 feet. Visibility has been quoted as 60 to 120 feet depending on the weather. I've heard the reefs are in pretty bad shape. The prices I've found are about $50 (US) including equipment for 1 dive, $80 for 2 dives, and $180 for 5 dives. They do 3 trips per day, 2 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon. One dive per trip (duration trip 90 minutes, bottom time 45 minutes)
This will be our first trip to the Dominican Republic so all my information has come from research I have done on the internet. (I hope I haven't told you anything wrong)
As far as Holy week - I was in the carribbean last year at Christmas and a lot of the shops were closed for Christmas Day. I don't know if Easter will be the same way. We are going Feb 18-25 so if you want I can let you know how our experience was when we return. Check out debbiesdominican.com, they have some great reviews of the Allegro Bavaro. I have found a lot of information on that site. You might also check out www.scubadiving.com they have dive info on all the islands. Good luck.

DRW

Jan 23, 2002
Please Update me

Thanks for the info about diving. You've really researched that!!

I've gotten some info from other people about the nightlife. I guess that there's a place called the Hurrican which is on the beach and not part of a resort. And a place called Onkle Tom's that's not far from the resorts.

Please do let me know how your trip goes, pro and cons would be appreciated.

sunnygirl

Jan 22, 2002
Holy Week

More than likely, shops, banks etc. will be closed on important holy days that week like Good Friday but that doesn't mean that activities at resorts/etc. will also be closed but may be less staffed? It's a guess, but it's our (my husband and my)first trip to DR next week and will try to find the right person to ask for you.

Also saw Hurrican and Onkle Tom's recommended here (DR1). If we check out either/both will pass along what we think. We're going to Catalonia Bavaro and have been recommended to the safari/jungle/plantation tour and the dolphin swim. Not sure if I will feel comfortable swimming with such a large and foreign animal though they do seem quite gentle. We are not divers though we have snorkled twice.

Hope you have fun!

DRW

Jan 23, 2002
Hi Sunnygirl,

Please do let me know about Onkel Tom's and Hurrican.

Also if you happen to go on a catamaran excursion to Sousa Island or Catalina Island let me know about that too. Thinking about doing that.

Have a good trip ... can't wait to hear your review.

Thank you