Where to buy GPS with DR maps installed?

intedserve

Mar 24, 2014
Hi

I live in Santo Domingo. I would like to buy a GPS with maps of the Dominican Republic installed. Does anyone recommend a local retailer - name, address, phone number ? Or a US supplier? Thank you.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Most half decent smartphones have built in GPS. There are numerous software packages available with online maps (requires a cellular data plan) or offline maps (downloaded direct into device)

When I'm in Santo Domingo I use my iPhone with Googlemaps to navigate my way around. It knows the one way systems, and the voice navigation even tells you popular landmarks or restaurants for turning directions, Eg, "Turn left at Burger King" It also tells you what lane to get in on multi-lane roads. Shame Dominicans don't understand the concept of lane discipline though!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
google maps with any data plan will be better than any premium Dr map sold anywhere. Google maps are free and come installed in almost all android phones. why even consider buying a map when google gives you all for free?
AZB

intedserve

Mar 24, 2014
google maps with any data plan will be better than any premium Dr map sold anywhere. Google maps are free and come installed in almost all android phones. why even consider buying a map when google gives you all for free?
AZB

I do not have a data plan and do not want one.

Does anyone know who sells a car GPS with DR maps locally (in Santo Domingo) ? Thanks

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I do not have a data plan and do not want one.

Does anyone know who sells a car GPS with DR maps locally (in Santo Domingo) ? Thanks

i have tried many gps maps (offline) in DR and let me tell you, may maps are way off. they will send you through one way streets the wrong way. will find quick routes which will make you cause an accident or cost you a traffic ticket. I hope the offline maps are more accurate now. The google maps are the best and the latest. they respect the traffic laws and help guide you through the correct streets. Google maps know what street is one way or 2 way.
AZB

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I do not have a data plan and do not want one..............

I don't have a data plan nor want one either. I just buy a data "package" for the day when I need to use Google maps. I use Claro and it is 40 pesos for 24 hours of data. There is a limit but I forget. Either way it is enough to keep Google Maps up and running for the day.

No fancy equipment to buy, just my Android Smart phone.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I bought a DR map on a mini sd card and it basically only covers SD and STI, and just basics outside that. Google maps on the phone is 100 x better. Maybe I just a crappy one, but it was for Garmin.

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010

I was in Santiago in April from Miami with Waze. I bought a portable wifi from Orange with a pay as you go plan. It worked magnificent and was surprised it even worked! I used it on my MetroPCS android and could use the wifi to make calls to the US AND since I had the plan to call DR, make calls in DR as well....

Last edited:

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
HERE maps (aka Bing maps and formerly owned by Nokia) and Google maps are basically the same. Their major advantage is free updates. The legacy GPS services require licenses or subscription fees. By the way, you do not need a data plan or even a SIM card to use GPS. If you don't have data service, you would have to download the regional map you want to use in advance. In the case of the Dominican Republic, the map uses about 20MB of storage. If you have the map on your device, any number of GPS applications can use it to drive turn-by-turn voice directions.

Nothing is free. While Google does not collect usage or purchase fees, it ruthlessly mines your personal data (in the form of your address searches and your minute-by-minute progress along routes, as well as where you may stop to eat or whatever). It's a bigger deal for some than for others. I think it's important to know what you are using.

HERE maps mobile version comes bundled with Microsoft phones running Windows. The online version is virtually indistinguishable from Google Maps. It uses the same personal data mining model to make its money.

Garmin and the other old school GPS devices and services are past their prime. They are still used by rental car companies and in developing regions where many users can't afford modern mobile devices.

AZB

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Download the map and your data signal won't be a factor. Garmin and phones use the same satellite service. Garmin is more stable because the maps are loaded on it. You can do the same with a smartphone.

If I need to drive lots and use a gps to navigate, then I would prefer something like a garmin mounted to my dash. I have used my cell & google maps and the sat signal always seems to fail 300 feet before I am supposed to make a turn and doesn't come back until I am 300 feet past my turn.

From a dated thread but it's a place to start.

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.ph...ingo-preloaded?p=742698&viewfull=1#post742698

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Download the map and your data signal won't be a factor. Garmin and phones use the same satellite service. Garmin is more stable because the maps are loaded on it. You can do the same with a smartphone.

Thx for the advice but reread what I wrote. It's not the maps that I have trouble with, its the GPS signal on my phone that drops out as I move about, usually at the worst possible time. I don't have the same issues on my garmin device.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Thx for the advice but reread what I wrote. It's not the maps that I have trouble with, its the GPS signal on my phone that drops out as I move about, usually at the worst possible time. I don't have the same issues on my garmin device.

the problem is with your phone (hardware). Not all phones work the same. I have a galaxy note 3 which drops signal from time to time for a few seconds (I think I have fixed that now) but my sony xperia GX phone locks on to the signal in seconds and stays locked. I am talking about DR, USA and many other countries as well.
AZB

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
use google maps offline mode

you can save maps to use offline in maps and earth with a menu command.
https://www.androidpit.com/use-your-google-maps-offline.

So you can prepare your trip when you are online, save, and be offline on the road.

Alexander