49 Dengue Deaths in 2015-Government Implements Plan

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
come on Alter, you believe the government? 49 is a nice number. Not too high so as to scare tourists, not too low so as to appear false.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The young and adolescents along with women are more prone to suffer especially the more severe symptoms.

I have personally witnessed a family friend of my ex-esposa, who was a bright student at 17 years of age, rapidly deteriorate and die despite blood transfusions within about 36 hours. Her mistake was to take blood thinning pain killers to relieve the severe headache that you get along with aches and rash. This increased her internal hemorrhaging and no amount of blood transfusion maintained her vital body organs.

Be aware of the symptoms especially parents.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I made it ....

Had the killing headaches and asked for pain killers after 4-5-6 days.... acetaminophen - big doses.

Very hard on the liver too.

No bleeding and i was done in 11 days or so -- then another month for the liver to come back - constant testing.

Brugal and Presidente companies took a hit for that month but survived without me.

The headaches are excruciating - you can't comb your hair..... that bad

The pills worked...... I forget 500 or 1,000 a pill.....plenty of 'em
Luckily, no bleeding

BTW, you cannot get the hemorrhagic dengue as a first affliction....
it's always a subsequent bout for this type (of the 4), never the first incidence

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Had it once in November 2012. Had it a second time in October of 2013. Nothing last year so I'm stuck waiting.. Third times a charm.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
2 down , 2 to go , Cristo.....

Same boat here......the hemorrhagic is the one that can kill you....
not so much the others

ju10pd's post is the one to watch

young and old suffer the most.....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Tragic.....

sometimes there is nothing that can be done.

For being alert....
the fever is the key....

mine was just above 104F..... the skin comes off your forehead and feet/hands later.
then cooled down to 101.5F... for days and days...... still a strong fever.

I stayed home for the first onslaught - a day - then went to the local clinic.

Bags & bags of saline IV's.... like 4 a day.... changing arms every day --- of course, no gloves for the nurses.

Finally Clinica Abreu where the medico had had all 4 Dengues....... a real pro.....

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I lived through it but at times death appeared a far nicer prospect than continuing. But I had no idea so many actually died from it. I was under the impression a few geriatrics might pop off each year, but 49, that is a lot for a lottery virus. isn't it?

May 29, 2006
The GF's aunt died from it about five years back and she was in her 50s. One week from the onset of symptoms. Is there a vaccine for it?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The preventative is mosquito spray, long sleeve shirts and long pants. When chikengunya came along I got nervous. Started using the spray and never quit. The newer sprays are not greasy and work fine. Dengue is horrible as one can read clearly from the victims who had it. I have gotten used to using the spray . Two less things to worry about down here. Interesting is that having and using the spray makes me very popular. Everybody want some yet they do not carry their own. Dengue is not called break bone fever for nothing.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Ideally, when throwing up death numbers and affliction counts, the authorities would include a map of the incidents showing the 'where' factor.

In the current drought, it would be interesting to see the areas of danger......
would they be poorer barrios with open sewage or areas closer to the major rivers?
Water is necessary for mosquito birth/survival, as I understand it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Ideally, when throwing up death numbers and affliction counts, the authorities would include a map of the incidents showing the 'where' factor.

the article says so: la mayor?a de los casos se registran en el Distrito Nacional y las provincias Santo Domingo, San Crist?bal, Santiago, S?nchez Ram?rez, La Vega, Monse?or Nouel, Duarte, Puerto Plata, Monte Plata, Hermanas Mirabal y La Altagracia.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A very close friend just finished a rotation in pediatrics at the Regional Children's Hospital (Dr. Arturo Grull?n) in Santiago.
She reported almost daily fatalities from dengue. Some the hemorrhagic variety and some from over use of the IV (suero)...in infants
it can be deadly.

Like most of you, I do not believe the statistics released by MSP....

HB

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
important is the raise in total cases of dengue reported, not so much the death%.
why?
2015 shows to date a rise of almost 500 more cases than 2014 had for the same time period.
both years been a exceptionally dry period.
2014 reported to date around 4.300 cases, 2015 shows 4.800 cases so far, a rise of 11-12% on overall cases.
now the fatal ending % is higher in 2015, and it will get higher for the years to come,
because a vast mayority of fatal endings is Not on 1st timer patients, it is on repeating patients who get the hemorrhagic(sorry for my spelling) variation, which is the killer of the 4 known Dengue variations.
so we have every year more repeating patients, even if the over all number of dengue cases would not rise,
that's what brings the higher numbers.
HB's mentioned "number" shows that there may be a very big difference between "whats reported by MSP" and what really happens in clinics, not to mention some of the poorest areas whom may die without anybody checking for dengue as the real cause of dead.
HB,
one thing that i am curious about.
the cases, where the final cause of fatality, been for example the common IV overdose on infants/youngguns,
do such cases go into the stats as Dengue or are they not shown in the MSP's reports at all?

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
just to add,
a rise as shown from 2014-2015 on the over all cases reported,
shows that action is necessary,
as such thing out of control would become a snowball system and start to rise quickly within a short time frame.

Mike

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
on a brighter note,
remember, after getting one of the 4 dengues, it will never return - that type - the others will come but but after all 4 , you'll never get it again.
Small consolation but for a hemorrhagic survivor, it's important.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
someone above mentioned the breeding grounds.
as opposed to the typical breeding grounds for the Malaria Mozzies,
the Mosquitos carrying Dengue and Chicungunya, love it Clean.
they are not the typical dirt water/smelly Lagoon breeders,
completely the opposite, they breed preferably in clean water, less in a fouly pond in the jungle.
hence Dengue is not defined to poor barrios and jungle surrounded countryside,
it is present on all levels and you can catch it in the best and most hygienic 'hoods.

Mike