Clubbing in Santo Domingo

Chinatown

Sep 11, 2015
Just came back from Sosua and I had a blast. Obviously the ?vibe is different there?.
I like the country and I want to return and experience a more ?authentic vibe?.

So are the?re like ?normal clubs? and is it ?dangerous? to go out for foerigners.
I am Asian, so obviously I don?t look like a local.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am not an 'informed' source... my clubbing days are far in the rear view mirror...
but , at a point in time I was beside Andy Warhol in Studio 54.....

check out Mamma Club in Sto Dom on Facebook....

That night in Studio 54 a girl slid up beside me at the bar, very smoothly.....
She had on a clear plastic raincoat...... nothing else.....

except her footwear.... roller skates

Oh, one adornment -
a pair of scissors dangling from an ear.... a pierced ear... a large piercing.....

A night to remember............

Chinatown

Sep 11, 2015
Yeah, Mamma looks good.

So the night life in Santo Domingo is "normal" right. It's totally different than the "ho vibe" in Puerto Plata right?

I am looking for clubs/ disco's where locals go out and have fun.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Located in Santo Domingo Este (east) Autopista San Isidro, east of Charles De Gaulle is fun on a Friday or Saturday night. Its a little (not much) safer than the city center.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
@ China - A lot of the normal nightlife is on the other side of the river.

These are very "local" spots on Ave Venezuela, may be a good idea to bring a trustworthy friend / driver to explore the "real" Santo Domingo.

Excellent, once again a HOE vs NON HOE thread, I was worried for a moment!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
CHA is upscale, I ran into Webby there in his cotton sweater draped around his neck with Nantucket red slacks.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The high end places are found around "poligono", Churchill, Gustavo, Lincoln etc.
The lower end around Ave Venezuela or "el este".

If you want bachata, salsa and a mix of electronic with lots of "chopos", go to el este.
You want club/electronic music, "gente rica" and "chapiadoras" go to poligono.

http://www.809guia.com/
http://809k.com/

Megadivo

Sep 8, 2015
The high end places are found around "poligono", Churchill, Gustavo, Lincoln etc.

If you want bachata, salsa and a mix of electronic with lots of "chopos", go to el este.

Definately Agree here.

It really depends what you are into. I for one like the "poligono" spots. Mamma Club is THE SPOT to be SEEN!! Trendy, upscale, the girls are hotter, and vibe is nice. The spots in Sto Dgo Este, are a little ratchet for my taste. Locals are everywhere... it just depends what class of locals you are into.

smitty777

Jul 21, 2013
Clubs

The east definitely have more locals. Most of the time I'm the only expat walking around which can be a plus if you're looking for a quick fling. :) I'm a 10 min walk away from Venezuela ave. as far as hoes. They're there too, but more discreetly then in Sousa. Beware you will see more fights there. That's why I don't go often.
I did live in Santiago in the past and that area for the most part have "regular" Dominican clubs.

Megadivo

Sep 8, 2015
The east definitely have more locals. Most of the time I'm the only expat walking around which can be a plus if you're looking for a quick fling. :) I'm a 10 min walk away from Venezuela ave. as far as hoes. They're there too, but more discreetly then in Sousa. Beware you will see more fights there. That's why I don't go often.
I did live in Santiago in the past and that area for the most part have "regular" Dominican clubs.

One can never have enough Hoes...... :rolleyes:

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Yeah, Mamma looks good.

So the night life in Santo Domingo is "normal" right. It's totally different than the "ho vibe" in Puerto Plata right?

I am looking for clubs/ disco's where locals go out and have fun.

Go to Avenida Venezuela on the east side. There are plenty of clubs with locals.

Chinatown

Sep 11, 2015

Sounds and looks good.

What does ?chopos? and ?chapiadoras? mean?

Gente Rica means Rich people?

Slightly offtopic,

Is there a relation with color and status in Santo Domingo?
Like in Brazil most ?white brazilians? are richer than the ?pardos? and ?blacks?

Now roughly 90% is black/mulatto so I guess in the DR there is no relation with monety and skin color?

Chinatown

Sep 11, 2015

Definately Agree here.

It really depends what you are into. I for one like the "poligono" spots. Mamma Club is THE SPOT to be SEEN!! Trendy, upscale, the girls are hotter, and vibe is nice. The spots in Sto Dgo Este, are a little ratchet for my taste. Locals are everywhere... it just depends what class of locals you are into.

Thanks for all the tips.

BTW are you guys local or foreign

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Yes there is a relation between skin color and status unfortunately. My wife was laughing on our flight down thursday. She said some people were looking at her as if to ask what she was doing in business class. Nothing major, just some looks.

She actually got a kick out of our flight to Miami as a "famous" merenguero El Jeffrey was on our flight, flying coach. A few years back meeting el jeffrey would have been a major event. Sitting in business watching him walk back to coach? Never imagined it. Though Jeffrey isn't exactly JLG or Eddy Herrera;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chinatown

Sep 11, 2015
Yes there is a relation between skin color and status unfortunately. My wife was laughing on our flight down thursday. She said some people were looking at her as if to ask what she was doing in business class. Nothing major, just some looks.

She actually got a kick out of our flight to Miami as a "famous" merenguero El Jeffrey was on our flight, flying coach. A few years back meeting el jeffrey would have been a major event. Sitting in business watching him walk back to coach? Never imagined it. Though Jeffrey isn't exactly JLG or Eddy Herrera;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But most people in the DR are lightskin right? Okay there are some variations, but I havent seen alot of ?darkskin?, but the ?typical dominican skin color? looks like Dania Ramirez.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
RE:
Mamma Place

It was the concierge at Laurel that put me on to Mamma's.

A very good place near the Club...... lots of action.

I have a very savvy friend who drags me to these places..... by the ear