fair price to install propane system

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
hola
What would be an average fair price to get a propane (gas) system installed in a car?
:)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
to me, "average" means death sentence. propane system cars blow up on regular basis here. if you must, go for a good one. my FIL installed one in his tundra and it was close to 100k pesos.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
as DV said, dont look for the cheapest,
go to a real Taller which sells and mounts such systems on daily bases.
been quoted(but not myself, my buddy did, as he has a Taller himself and gets the Biz price/no Tax to pay, so he buys it to "resell" the system to a customer, me, but mounted by the original seller of course)
RD$ 55.760.- Pesos, incl all the work, mounted in the car to ride off.
the original price, as a normal customer without a reselling biz, would have been RD$68.000.- Pesos.
that's for a V8 in a 2005 Mustang.
i can imagine that prices vary a lot, depending what car/engine you wanna fit it in.
can't tell experience about it's use, as i am still on the "search" for the finally to take car, just getting prices for the stuff i wanna fix on it.
by x-mas i can tell more details, it will be my christmas present.
to get it under the tree, i may just mount a lil x-mas tree on the roof then, lol.
i was also checking with a number of friends, who ride on Gas i different models/brands V8's here, to find pro/con stuff about propane or natural gas.
the answers til now been 100% for Propane and zero for natural Gas.
the exact reasoning against the natural Gas is something i can still not tell,
still waiting for someone who tells me whats wrong/bad/good on comparison of both.

Mike

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think the biggest issue with natural gas is that it's not easily and widely available?

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the availability is not the reason here.
in my surroundings(Punta Cana til Boca Chica) are plenty of stations for natural refills.
sure there are way more propane stations, no doubt, but sufficient of either one on my daily route of movements.
where are our Car Pro's on the bord who can really tell me which one works better for what ever reason?

Mike

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the availability is not the reason here.
in my surroundings(Punta Cana til Boca Chica) are plenty of stations for natural refills.

can it be that it's not as common in other parts of DR? i don't recall seeing natural gas station in POP area...

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
The tank for natural gas is heavier due to the increased pressure required to keep natural gas in a liquid form, that would
be one item to consider. Natural gas has LESS btu than propane, it takes more natural gas to do the same job versus
propane.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
to me, "average" means death sentence. propane system cars blow up on regular basis here. if you must, go for a good one. my FIL installed one in his tundra and it was close to 100k pesos.

i HAVE LIVED HERE 20 YEARS NEVER HEARD OF A BLOW UP IN A CAR WITH PROPANE., GAS STATIONS, MANY!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PROPANE. AND "LIQUIFIED NATURAL GAS,("LNG") are two different things.
MANY,MANY,MANY CARS, TAXIS, AND PUBLICOS USE PROPANE,A FEW THOUSANDS USE "LNG".
"LNG" IS SCARSE, AND OUT OF FAVOR NOW.

Last edited:

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i HAVE LIVED HERE 20 YEARS NEVER HEARD OF A BLOW UP IN A CAR, GAS STATIONS, MANY!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
similar statistics here for me.
as by personal observatiins,
one gas station which i observed to go to Allah from a mkle away, and 3 houses burned down due propane troubles with those nice connections.
never saw or heard about a car in troubles,
other than "se fue el gas".
i always wonder that i do not see weekly a few of bombing flames along the road due motoconcho carrying the refills around in a very nice and safe manner(i bet you got my point, lol). but honestly in a good 2 decades i did never observe any motoco?o riding up to Wallha due propane.
due other reasons including my truck's body armor, yes,
but due propane nope

Enviado desde mi SM-G800M mediante Tapatalk

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
The tank for natural gas is heavier due to the increased pressure required to keep natural gas in a liquid form, that would
be one item to consider. Natural gas has LESS btu than propane, it takes more natural gas to do the same job versus
propane.
thanks for that answer.
sitting at the neighbours redtaurant Drinken Chicken o the way home from super pola shopping, two guys sitting aside told me also about the weight and higher gallons consumed.
the weight is a good point, but as long it doesnt mean double weight, not a problem. i dont wanna ride my tank for refill by Motoco?o.
the mileage is a important point.
if you need for the same mileage wa?y more gallons on natural, which then also aďds up on the already higher tank weight.
somebody here on the bord rides on Natural and can provide personal experience?

Enviado desde mi SM-G800M mediante Tapatalk

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
this is a very common occurence in DR. i cannot use my computer atm but i will look up links. but just look at that article from last year: http://eldia.com.do/instalaciones-glp-siguen-explotando-vehiculos/
i saw a pickup where faulty gas system caused explosion, here in costambar, a corner away from my house. presidente bottles that were in the back melted flat.

Fully agree with lots of caution when choosing who installs any gas system.

A couple of weeks ago my wife?s aunt?s grandson (4 yo boy) passed away due to complications (which were partly the fault of the hospital) after he was passing a street, the gas system in a camioneta nearby exploded, somehow gas was leaking, the leaking gas (without fumes) followed the boy, eventually the fumes followed this gas, and caught the boy, who was then running on the street his back on fire. 3rd degree burns.

I have driven a few vehicles here with gas installed, it?s really comfortable on long trips, but extreme caution is recommended...

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Fully agree with lots of caution when choosing who installs any gas system.

A couple of weeks ago my wife?s aunt?s grandson (4 yo boy) passed away due to complications (which were partly the fault of the hospital) after he was passing a street, the gas system in a camioneta nearby exploded, somehow gas was leaking, the leaking gas (without fumes) followed the boy, eventually the fumes followed this gas, and caught the boy, who was then running on the street his back on fire. 3rd degree burns.

I have driven a few vehicles here with gas installed, it?s really comfortable on long trips, but extreme caution is recommended...

sad story indeed.
and of course, reading thru the link provided by DV,
calculated cars and house incidents together,
gives the clear point of Inappropriate installed/modified connections as the mayor cause for incidents.
on e house that burned down(it burned down a 3 houses total on the same incident) here in my hood,
had the cables from their stu electrical connections of the house lying right on top of the Gas tank aside the estufa of the kittchen.
such is of course a pure educational thingy.
"fue la chispa del cable para la Tele, Pana".
claro que si!!!, Fidiot.
the same for cars which use a normal household gas-tank thrown on the back of the usual Frutas y Veggies beat up pick up, connected by some kinda suspicious 50 pesos mangera, and moving around once the truck sold most of the veggies and the tank can move around freely thru every cornering.
or the stu concho taxis, who have those household tanks lying in the trunk, often with something handy beneath to not allow the tank to move too much on it's own on the ride.
i never been close to/observed such incident,
but well, i can imagine that such stuff happens, specially in the cities where such cars move around by the thousands as carro publico and alikes.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
uuuups,
that doesn't look very healthy, tho.
about the insurance coverage i talked to two friends who run their vehicles on Gas.
one is a used 2005 and the other is a brand new 2015.
in both cases(both at the seguro from Banco de Reservas where i have also my own cars and boats insured) they only had to report the modification and include the certificate from the company which installed the equipments.
you shouldn't have shown me that photo,
both are F150's, lol.

Mike

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yeah, that's what i mean. to keep insurance one cannot get just any installator from la calle who will screw the kichen tank to the floor and use garden hose to connect it.

i just don't trust gas systems installed here. but that's personal opinion. all i can say is that a good system for a large vehicle can be as much as a 100k and you'd pay minimum 50k for anything decent.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
There was a really gruesome video on FB a while ago where some poor soul lost an arm while he was filling an under-vehicle tank. The tank exploded and took his arm clean off. Plenty of bystanders watched and filmed him bleed to death.

I've seen a gas installation in a Mitsubishi Montero V6 where the gas supply into the engine was a cooker burner siliconed into the intake!