POP Airport Theft

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamajuana

Jan 15, 2002
My husb just got back from visiting his family in Puerto Plata. While unpacking his suitcase at home, he was shocked to find that his new Christmas Fila running shoes were stolen, silver larimar necklace that was given as a girft were stolen out of his suitcase. The suitcase had a little lock on it , which was probably tampered with in Puerto Plata. Over the year of travelling to POP, we've never come across any theft. This is pathetic for such a thing to happen. This explains why Puerto Plata is becoming a "tourist-less" city!!!!!!!!

doug

Jan 1, 2002
Pathetic?

Yes it's sad! But this does not only happen in the DR, it happens all over. Best to put some sort of anti theft on your luggage.(like tape around zipper, but if they want in ....they'll get in , no matter what.)

mamajuana

Jan 15, 2002
Yes Doug, I agree. I just want travellers to be more aware of this. Times have certainly changed!!! Am sure they could have even taken clothes if they were that desperate..

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
2X

Happened twice to me. First time was on trip from SDQ to Miami. Second time was on trip from San Juan, PR to POP. Both times the luggage was locked.

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
what's the point of locking luggage nowadays when every bag is opened and completely searched through security points? I usually use zip ties as my "locks" but don't know if I should anymore since I can't carry a pocketknife to cut them!

Also, I am bringing about 15 kitesurfing kites to DR in two weeks for demos. Think I'll be charged anything? My stay is for 3 months.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just a minute here!

Where is yor "Proof" that the shoes and neckless were stolen in Puerto Plata? Did your husband change planes on his way "home"? What about the airport of his final destination? You give the Dominican Republic,and all Dominicans a "slap-in-the-face",by assuming that the "theft" occured here! Maybe your husband gave the shoes and neckless to his Dominican girlfriend in Puerto Plata, then "made-up" the "stolen goods" story! See what I mean? Think before you rush to judgement!Hurts a little right? Criss Colon

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
It is true that anywhere along your trip things can get stolen by anybody. On a recent trip back to the USA from Santo Domingo I was robbed of $800 cash. Nobody could guess who would have stolen my money. I can tell you that it was the security people checking the luggage( including my purse) at JFK International Airport in New York. Watch these people closely! It is not an unusual occurance nowadays I am told. They know that everyone feels safe with them and that Americans want good security so they pretend to be paying attention to details. They sure are! They are counting our cash and then stealing it. Unfortuately where there is money there will be crooks ALL over the world.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Here and there they run a few scams.

In Puerto Rico I lost a very good camara on a flight from Mayaguez to San Juan...

My daughter suffered the loss of some very special jewelery. The scam-and I am not that sure it was not a scam-works like this.

The plane is boarding and maybe a woman with a child is in line with a piece or two of carry on. At the gate the Stewardess says: "Sorry there is no more overhead room. You will have to check that as baggage."
Now how do you do that from the airplane door? You can't. They take it and send it below, where, since it is obviously where valuables would be kept, it is riffled and you don't find out about it until you get to NYC/JFK. You notice immediately that it has been gone over and you make a claim immediately. then..........

You wait for months to get a little check that doesn't cover ding!..
Happened. Continental. SDQ-JFK

HB

Like they say: "Schitt happens" Even to the most cautious.

mauikai

Jan 15, 2002
We also travelled through POP airport in early December and had our luggage broken into there. No, I can't prove it was at POP, as it could have been at our destination airport, but I'm almost certain that it was. We had things such as clothing, sunglasses and cologne taken! What a bummer to find out when we arrived home. I think they need to have more supervision at the airport and crack down a little more on this if they want to keep the tourists coming!
In the meantime, we will be investing in some better luggage with better locks!!

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Our last cruise

Got home from our cruise and had EXTRA stuff in my duffle bag! A fancy new package of G-string men's underwear if you can believe that! Haven't got a clue what happened, but you could tell the bag had been gone through by the time we got off the ship, nevermind what happened by the time it hit Puerto Rico and POP airports...

The undies fit great, in case you were wondering.

NOT!
marc

SUN_RA

Jan 14, 2002
Could this be Uvita de PLaya ??? We'll see. I could use a little sunshine. Perhaps a volt of 500w will do. I could also use a cup of
coffee to go with Teresita.

Then I'll have a cold one at New Wave in Cabarete.

Can you break the codes ??

Siempre,

SUN_RA

Lucy

Jan 7, 2002
sun!!
hola!!! how are you??? is nice to break your code!!! hard to believe how much time has passed since your cold one, and my coffee at the new wave!!
i returned home from cabarete on january 4th, had a wonderful christmas, surrounded with family! i am slowly adjusting to being the only one left here in canada!
i am hoping to meet with theresita and mamajuana next week while i am in toronto on business.... we shall have a toast to you! coffee!

mamajuana

Jan 15, 2002
It's me!! It's me!!!

Hola Sun_Ra and Coffee!!...hehe

Glad to have found you two!!... What a nice surprize...
Hope all is well with you two...Everything is fine here in Canada. Always wondered what happened to all our old DR1 chat room friends. Do you keep in touch with any of them?? ....
Well, take care...hope to hear from you...

P.S........Criss Colon, you are so right...The theft could have happened in Toronto Airport. There was a big crack down a few years ago about workers breaking into luggage and stealing. But I know for a fact, that the runners and necklace especially a larimar SS would never have gone to his girlfriend, cause one does not exist..He is not a shanky panky and is caring family man of 11 years. So, you can't go accusing him of such things. I lived in the DR before so I know how it operates...Like eveyone else has posted, airport theft is everywhere..

doug

Jan 1, 2002
Cash!

I'm sorry but the cash theft is just plain stu...er thoughtfulless....I always keep a very close eye on cash no matter who,what where,when......NEVER let anyone play with your cash, without keeping a very good eye! Dulce!! And Marc,....you should'nt of been in the possesion of g-strings anyway....lol

teresita

Jan 16, 2002
e-reunion

Hey -- SUN, Coffee, Mama -- good to see you guys here on the message board.

SUN: We thought you fell off the face of the earth. Good to see you're still around!

It's been a while since the New Wave in Cabarate. We'll have to schedule another reunion sometime. I haven't been since October, but it feels like forever!

On the issue of the theft, it could have happened either in the DR or in Toronto, but the point is, it happened (and it has happened to me, too). I was unimpressed by one user's reply that the husband gave the items to his girlfriend! Man, oh man, what a stretch! I didn't give my stuff away to some boyfriend and then lie about having my luggage broken into! While some men don't hesitate to wander, I know that there are some out there who wouldn't even think of it! I'm thinking that response was posted just to get a reaction. Well, you succeeded!

I miss the "old days" in the chat room. Good to see you... T

videosilva

Vegetables are my best friends
Mar 31, 2005
Just got back on Monday and a friend we meet noticed many missing articles. This is obviosly an on going problem. Seeing the people and all the SCAMS first hand I belive the problem is more wied spread then what is being reported.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The Resurrection

of a 2 year old thread may be a new DR1 record!

Sorry to hear about your loss, I generally never check anything of value underneath to avoid the potential loss. Just out of curiosity, how are you able to "notice" an article, if it is indeed, missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.