Travel Health Insurance

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'd like to hear from those of you who buy Travel/International Health Insurance for your trips to DR. We've never done it, but we're wondering what plans are out there and how much they cost.

We're both on Medicare and have AARP supplementals - the AARP will cover any emergency care anywhere in the world for the first 90 days [you pay, they reimburse later, supposedly], but we've never used it. The few times my husband needed medical care it was so cheap we didn't bother to file a claim. We're there for more than 90 days at a time, so from day 91 it's a crapshoot.

This week we received a mailing from American Airlines Frequent Flier about a really cheap plan, $129 a year PP, $149 for family, that includes medical air transport if needed [I suspect it must be really hard actually get it, but who knows?], but no medical coverage, it's for emergency care [helicopter, etc].

If you've bought regular Travel Health Insurance - what did it cost, and if you've actually had to use it, how satisfied were you with the coverage?

Ron Anjero

Aug 8, 2013
HI AE - We are from Canada and use Blue Cross for our <6mths stay. Because of our age we are insured as individuals and works out to be $900-$1000/ each for the whole period - <$200/month each. Thankfully haven't had to use it. Covers everything. We have used them for the past 10 years so there is a good health record and therefore no surprises. As age goes up so do the premiums. Good luck.

senorbahia

Jan 14, 2015
I'm live in New Jersey and often travel to the DR through-out the year. At the end of the year, I usually visit from mid-December until the third week of January and always purchase a policy from www.medjetassist.com for the time period. Never had to use it, however they will evacuate you to your home base. Reasonable price for peace of mind.