Cost of living in Punta Cana

abpatt

Sep 15, 2015
Yes, I am a newbie and looking for any advice, tips and information from people living in Punta Cana. Looking to relocate for a job. No idea where to start with budgeting for living costs. Probably will rent a 1 bedroom apt in Punta Cana itself. Really appreciate hearing what I'm in for! Thanks!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It is expensive-ish to live here, compared to the rest of the DR anyway.

When you say "Punta Cana itself", do you mean the Puntacana Resort & Club, or Punta Cana Village, or the wider "Punta Cana" area that stretches from Cap Cana in the South, through B?varo, to Uvero Alto in the north?

A one-bedroom in Punta Cana Village should be about US$600 per month.

abpatt

Sep 15, 2015
Will live near Boulevard Tur?stico del Este. Looking for specifics about cost of things like utilities (water, electricity, garbage, etc.), propane, drinking water, tv cable, internet, cell phone, food, etc.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
What Chiri said. You will, however, find it very gringo-friendly. One plus, is that you are less likely to experience the power issues felt in other parts of the island.
What is your budget?
You state that you are looking to relocate for a job. Does that translate to having a job lined up already?
search the numerous threads on this forum concerning costs of living in the DR, and I think most of your questions will be answered.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Will live near Boulevard Tur?stico del Este. Looking for specifics about cost of things like utilities (water, electricity, garbage, etc.), propane, drinking water, tv cable, internet, cell phone, food, etc.

My guess is that one of the many real estate agents in the area will be able to better answer those types of questions.

Apr 13, 2011
Ask your employer where most of the employees live. Sometimes it is not a bad idea to live in the same vicinity as your co-workers. And get your employer to give you a contact to talk with about finding housing, that way your employer is basically already a reference for you.

abpatt

Sep 15, 2015
Thanks everyone. I have my housing organized. It's the monthly budget I am wondering about--utilities, food, cell phone, etc. what should I expect to pay for each?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
All will depend on what you need. Do you have meals provided with your employer? A phone perhaps? Does housing include wifi/electricity/water? Do you have transportation included? Exactly where will you be located? The boulevard basically runs through the whole area so that doesn't really give us an idea of what distances you'll need to cover to get to work or buy groceries.

Apr 13, 2011
If you do not want to answer questions about use of electricity, food shopping, etc... Just use the search function for "cost of living". You will find various budgets from different people who live in the DR... some for families, some for individuals, some who use a lot of AC, some who use no AC, some who eat out a lot, some who cook at home often, etc... That should give you enough info to form a basic budget for your monthly expenses.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
to be specific ..your water probably will be less than 600 pesos a month, your electricity with a refrigerator ,fans and one AC unit working at night and weekends no more than 2000 pesoa a month and I am unsure of the rubbish collection fee but based on the capital , no more than 200 pesos every month. As far as food is concerned. a 2 litre bottle of coke will be about 50 or 60 pesos and bananas are about 13 pesos a pound and bread is about 30 or 40 pesos for 10 rolls . You can buy 3 pork chops for 120 pesos and a nice piece of fillet for less than 300 pesos . A lettuce will be about 30 pesos and a tin of red salmon will be about 260 pesos . A 5 litre bottle of water is less than 50 pesos in a supermarket , bar of soap is about 30 pesos tooth paste about 200 pesos . I almost forgot that a large bottle of beer is about 120 pesos , reasonable californian wine is about 500 pesos a bottle and a large bottle of decent rum is about 800 pesos .. That should give you an idea.