Sun Village Beach Resort

sunnydah

Jan 15, 2002
I would love to get information on the Sun Village Beach Resort. Has anyone stayed there? What are your opinions on anything & everything there? My husband & I are going to D.R. in May and are planning on staying there. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Unbelievable

This is a STUNNING resort. We went for a walk through it a couple of weeks ago and it is unreal. Might be open this week, not sure if they have or not, it might be closer to the end of the month.

Multiple levels of swimming pools that cascade down from one to the other, everything is new, the layout is quite different from most of the all-incl we have seen. Short walk to a couple of different restaurants outside the resort if you get sick of the food...but the food at the Ocean Palms (existing EMI hotel on that site) is actually pretty good.

Drawbacks for me are that I don't like Cofresi beach that well, and I am a bigger fan of "town" atmospheres for my vacations. Something like Sosua/Cabarete.

Very, very nice place. We might end up staying there this coming weekend while my parents are in town. I will let you know all about it if we do.

marc

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Just returned from Sun Village Resort

I was astonished at the scope of the resort--however the new part isn't finished yet. It may well be done by the time you are thinking of going, but even if it isn't the existing Ocean Palms Resort features very good food, almost brand new beach club with huge double pool near the ocean and another quiet pool further up near the rooms. Then there is a festive, fun-filled pool as well.

A private Thai restaurant and a private Dominican restaurant provide an alternative to the all-inclusive buffet restaurant down on the beach--all you have to do is make a reservation. It is part of the all-inclusive package.

The Sun Village part will (no exaggeration) take your breath away. So even if the multiple restaurants and linked, cascading pools are not fully open to the public, the theater up there is. So there is entertainment at night.

Frankly, this resort looks like a home run. But it you get there and the whole thing is open, you will be thrilled. Keep in mind that any property anywhere in the world has glitches when it first opens, so bring a bit of patience and a smile and you will be glad you selected this place.

For contrast, I went to Playa Dorada and looked around extensively. Playa Dorada is down on its heels, as the saying goes. Some of the properties like Rumba Heavens were simply closed.

Sun Village/Ocean Palms is a great choice.

kimmcferrin

Jan 18, 2003
Sun Village Resort

I will be going in February to this resort. Has anyone done the all meals drinks, and activity plan for $55.00 a day at Sun Village? My concern is that I'm not going to want to be locked into eating every meal at the resort and I am wondering about the quality of the food under this plan.

MJCram

Dec 7, 2002
Thanks for the reports. We head there on Wednesday. I have a few more questions if you guys don't mind. I was under the impression that the resort was pretty much fully operational except for the Fitness Center and Spa. Now it sounds like there is more that's unfinished ? Also I've read from another wesite that all of the new restaurants were up and running on the last few days of her trip which was in November. Is this also not true ?

Thanks so much !!!
MJC