PN has fingerprinting machines now

Feb 7, 2007
Now it all makes sense. Back in 2006 I had a break-in. Some "tools" were left thrown throughout the hallway. I made the police report and asked for the "tools" be taken for fingerprint analysis. The cops were looking at me like I was from Mars ... but now it makes sense, when it is only now in 2015 that they can start to analyze fingerprints. I wish I had those "tools" still left somewhere around here... they could have tried those machines before they break.

Last edited:

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
They never took fingerprints when one was arrested before this?

They had to have fingerprinted those arrested before. Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the old cedula have the fingerprint on them? I seem to remember my mom's having her index fingerprint on it. This machine will only digitize the persons fingerprint and will have to be stored on servers somewhere. The more costly software to match the fingerprints with those on file is called AFIS I believe. That will take decades in the DR since they probably will not digitize the existing hardcopy's on record. Don't expect anyone to go to jail because of this initiative anytime soon.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Are we talking about the same PN who can't seem to keep enough gas in the tank to cover an entire shift? They can create more work for these guys if they want to but until they start paying them more I doubt they will be finger printing anyone anytime soon.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
If you get sentenced for a crime they normally (should) take your prints. No idea what they do with them though, I doubt they've been entering them in a database.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The machines will work for a month or two.

Don't worry, they will soon be broken.

Remember your post about SDQ fingerprinting? Still working today according to a contemporary post. Always have worked at JCE, DGM and DGTT.

If I recall the equipment has been donated by Canada.

Times they are a changing......

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
not to be debbie downer but them damaged x ray machines at SDQ and STI also worked some time ago. fingerprint thingies are also bound to break sooner or later. lack of maintenance and proper care is a killer of all equipment here. the question is how the police will manage service, replacement and so on.

personally i welcome those changes while i remain realistic about them.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Breakdowns will and do happen but the reality is that we are not talking about news reports of when a fingerprinting unit is faulty at JCE, DGM or DGTT where people are continually getting their biometrics taken in the normal course of things. Those organizations have been doing this for some time and it is routine.

New systems at the airports (only SDQ to date note) and now at CESTUR and NP will take time to bed in. After all these initiatives are very recent and for a developing country it takes time and we cannot make comparisons with our home countries

As for the X Ray machines I am very glad new ones are on the way. Much better than sniffer dogs all around you and manual checking of your bags and the delays.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I had a breakin a couple of months ago and the interloper left some articles outside. I, of course, didn't touch them, but as soon as I showed them to my Dominican manager, he immediately picked them up and I'm screaming "What are you DOING? The police can get fingerprints from this stuff!" and he looked at me like I was on drugs. Anybody who has seen one episode of "CSI" or even "Hill Street Blues" knows more about crime solving than most local police.

If the fingerprinting technology works and actually gets used, that would be a giant step.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
They never took fingerprints when one was arrested before this?

No. I find it weird people think fingerprinting was standard practice in DR. The files are not even computerized, but I hear that's trying to change. But they're along way off knowing who is who and for what.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Breakdowns will and do happen but the reality is that we are not talking about news reports of when a fingerprinting unit is faulty at JCE, DGM or DGTT where people are continually getting their biometrics taken in the normal course of things. Those organizations have been doing this for some time and it is routine.

New systems at the airports (only SDQ to date note) and now at CESTUR and NP will take time to bed in. After all these initiatives are very recent and for a developing country it takes time and we cannot make comparisons with our home countries

As for the X Ray machines I am very glad new ones are on the way. Much better than sniffer dogs all around you and manual checking of your bags and the delays.

xray machines and sniffer dogs serve two different purposes. it is like saying a steering wheel is better than tires.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
DOMINICAN REPUBLIC. The Central Electoral Board puts at the disposal of the PN and the Attorney General a system of biometric matching AFIS, which is composed of a server platform and software that allows for comparisons of fingerprints and photographs to super-fast speeds.
With this new technology the agents and technicians of this Institution may in fractions of a second identify any person detained with only provide your fingerprints or your photo.
With the same action machines provide the card number, home address and their particular data.
According to the National Police, one of the main ways of people hide their identity is to affirm that they have never had identification or give names and different surnames, or deliver numbers of ballot papers false at the time to contribute their data to the interrogation; with these teams, these criminal tactics will be things of the past.
In addition, if it were true that for one reason or another the detainee has not obtained their ballot paper, then to provide their fingerprints you will create a file with the name you give, so that if he would re-offend, to register their fingerprints will appear the first name that contributed, testing his recidivism.
The platform delivered will allow the forces of order the comparison of fingerprints, after the uprisings of the latent technical in the crime scene. That is to say, if a person who has violated the law leaves its traces in this criminal act, the police may search in this database by facilitating the identification, investigation and subsequent capture.
Another element is the possibility that the National Police can identify any corpse that has been rescued and that at the time does not have identification documents in his possession, since with only present the traces of that person appear all their data, such as name, age, marital status, including their place of residence.
This computer application can be installed in mobile units such as laptop computers, cellular phones and allows you to identify with a high percentage of accuracy by returning in a matter of seconds, the general data of the citizen identified.
The AFIS platform installed at the JCE has a speed of comparison of 20 thousand footsteps in a time equivalent to about 300 fingerprints per minute, this technology has been acquired by the Central Electoral Board to the company and Neurotechnology is considered to have the largest capacity of biometric matching installed in this region.

http://www.noticiassin.com/2015/09/...pgr-para-eficientizar-lucha-contra-el-crimen/

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
xray machines and sniffer dogs serve two different purposes. it is like saying a steering wheel is better than tires.

The dogs will sniff the drugs. The drugs can be easily hidden from the xray machines. :)

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
While I agree that maintenance is not always high on the list of priorities here in the DR , if everyone takes a cynical view of good ideas and new equipment , then nothing would be done. I do not know if anyone hs been to the Police headquarters in Santo Domingo..it is quite impressive and if is where the main finger print machines will be , I can not see why they will not be maintained ..
and I do care about this and I think it is a good idea and I have no evidence at all that any politician was involved. Actually I thought the assistance ame from the US embassy

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
The dogs will sniff the drugs. The drugs can be easily hidden from the xray machines. :)

Xray machines are not really for finding drugs. Xray machines are there to find inconsistency in items that can hold anything.
Dogs for Drugs, yes.
Xray for reason to investigate, open up.
Scales are the best friend of customs officers for larger items.
Often dogs will only show limited interest, not a positive detection. And so they will go to Xray to find reason to inspect further. Same with weight, weight is unusual for description of item, off to xray to find inconsistency.

You could operate without dogs, just much slower process. You couldn't operate without x-ray.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
DOMINICAN REPUBLIC. The Central Electoral Board puts at the disposal of the PN and the Attorney General a system of biometric matching AFIS, which is composed of a server platform and software that allows for comparisons of fingerprints and photographs to super-fast speeds.
With this new technology the agents and technicians of this Institution may in fractions of a second identify any person detained with only provide your fingerprints or your photo.
With the same action machines provide the card number, home address and their particular data.
According to the National Police, one of the main ways of people hide their identity is to affirm that they have never had identification or give names and different surnames, or deliver numbers of ballot papers false at the time to contribute their data to the interrogation; with these teams, these criminal tactics will be things of the past.
In addition, if it were true that for one reason or another the detainee has not obtained their ballot paper, then to provide their fingerprints you will create a file with the name you give, so that if he would re-offend, to register their fingerprints will appear the first name that contributed, testing his recidivism.
The platform delivered will allow the forces of order the comparison of fingerprints, after the uprisings of the latent technical in the crime scene. That is to say, if a person who has violated the law leaves its traces in this criminal act, the police may search in this database by facilitating the identification, investigation and subsequent capture.
Another element is the possibility that the National Police can identify any corpse that has been rescued and that at the time does not have identification documents in his possession, since with only present the traces of that person appear all their data, such as name, age, marital status, including their place of residence.
This computer application can be installed in mobile units such as laptop computers, cellular phones and allows you to identify with a high percentage of accuracy by returning in a matter of seconds, the general data of the citizen identified.
The AFIS platform installed at the JCE has a speed of comparison of 20 thousand footsteps in a time equivalent to about 300 fingerprints per minute, this technology has been acquired by the Central Electoral Board to the company and Neurotechnology is considered to have the largest capacity of biometric matching installed in this region.

http://www.noticiassin.com/2015/09/...pgr-para-eficientizar-lucha-contra-el-crimen/

National Police can identify any corpse that has been rescued

I think this has to be moved to the Clown Bin...