Hola! Newbie from Canada - Moving to DR in 2 years

Tamtamrocks

Jan 10, 2006
Hello. I am looking for any and all information/contacts/advice for moving to the DR. I will be moving in 2 years and would like to move to the North Eastern side of the island. My husband will be joining me 2 years later but will visit frequently until he can move. I hope to meet some people online here to start a network of friends. I would like to rent a condo (2+ bedroom) and check out the area before we decide to purchase when my husband arrives. Any other Canadians on here that have moved to this area? Hope to hear from you soon!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Welcome to DR1. We do have many Canadians here on the board and in the DR. How often have you visited the DR? Search the threads so much info to find.

Start your residency in Canada you have lots of time before moving.

Good luck

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Welcome.

North East to some means Samana Peninsula. East means Bavaro/Punta Cana. Up around the coast away from Bavaro is only now beginning to get developed with the new roads, so the North East (Miches/Sabana) is in reality rather sparse of expats at this time...lovely area mind you. Entry points are different. Punta Cana(PUJ) for East Coast and El Catey (AZS) for Samana (or SDQ).

Samana has a large Francophile community and there are quite a few Quebecois too. There are also a few anglophiles living there who can offer advice. It is a good retirement destination.

Well worth planning your move diligently

Tamtamrocks

Jan 10, 2006
Once upon a time, when I was about 20 years old... 25 years ago, I lived in Las Terranas for approx 6 months with my then boyfriend, Ludwig. He had been to DR many, many, times throughout the years and his family managed Villia Tanquilla in Sousa way back then. Sadly, I hear he passed away about 10 years (tragically in a scuba dive accident in DR). I loved the beach in Las Terranas and more Playa Bonita! I have vacationed a couple times in DR (Punta Cana/Bavaro). I have seen how much Las Terrenas has changed since I was there, unbelievable! To use a phone when I was there, we took the guaga to Sosua! Now there is telephone and internet!

I would like to live in a reasonably priced condo, near other expats, restaurants, shopping and nearby an airport so family can easily fly to visit from Toronto. I have been doing lots of reading on the threads here and see some say stay away from the tourist areas, and others so it's ok.

I'd like to narrow down my search area..... and really don't know where to pick!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Almost all the airports have good Cdn service.... my favorite is AZS, Samana/el Catey

I don't say stay away from tourist areas,
but I point out that scams, break-ins and other 'social nuisances' seem to be higher there.

If the sex industry bothers you...... another reason.

Pluses are numerous expats - living or visiting and more English (less reliance on Spanish).
Airports will be closer.

There are pros/cons all ways.

I have made my choice and seem to experience less of the problems i read here...... IMO

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
And therefore you need to be talking to two groups.

East Coast dwellers and Samana dwellers. Don't discount somewhere like Cabrera too.

I lived in LT for 18 months until beginning of the year (now in the capital), and enjoy the area very much. LT as a town can drain you because it has perhaps overgrown itself and lost the small town feel especially at weekends, but you can still live a wonderful life in places live Playa Bonita and Playa Coson.

Your aspirations and budgets will help you narrow your search. You know the geography, so you need to expand on your aims and objectives when relocating and I am sure many posters will help you.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
You posted these exact words 9 years ago???

Hey Tambo, this is what she posted in 2006:

Where is the duplication?

Hi There. Does anyone on this site live in Las Terranas? I am looking for an old friend and have tried everything! My only hope is that someone who lives in Las Terranas would recognize him or perhaps know someone who does. Ludwig (usually goes by Loody) has been to DR, specifically Las Terranas for many years. I went with him in 1991 and stayed for a few months. He has a sister Charolette (Carlotta). He is about 38 years old and Canadian. He worked in the 80's at Jack Tar Village as a Scuba Instructor with "Johnny Agua" who I believe still lives in Sosua. When we were there we stayed in Las Terranas and often frequented the bar "The Babylon" owned and operated by Gigo (not sure of spelling) from Argentina and his girlfriend Claudia. He lived above the bar. Loody is also great friends with Oolto (spelling) who I think is a preacher and his wife Rosita. I would desperately like to speak to Ludwig or Charolette so if anyone know of them or Gigo or Oolto and could put me in touch I would appreciate any help you could give. I do have a picture I can send you of Ludwig, Oolto and Gigo if you would like to take a look. P.S. From the pictures I have seen of Las Terranas it sure has changed! I got to get back there and check it out! THANKS EVERYONE!!!!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Once upon a time, when I was about 20 years old... 25 years ago, I lived in Las Terranas for approx 6 months with my then boyfriend, Ludwig. He had been to DR many, many, times throughout the years and his family managed Villia Tanquilla in Sousa way back then. Sadly, I hear he passed away about 10 years (tragically in a scuba dive accident in DR). I loved the beach in Las Terranas and more Playa Bonita! I have vacationed a couple times in DR (Punta Cana/Bavaro). I have seen how much Las Terrenas has changed since I was there, unbelievable! To use a phone when I was there, we took the guaga to Sosua! Now there is telephone and internet!

I would like to live in a reasonably priced condo, near other expats, restaurants, shopping and nearby an airport so family can easily fly to visit from Toronto. I have been doing lots of reading on the threads here and see some say stay away from the tourist areas, and others so it's ok.

I'd like to narrow down my search area..... and really don't know where to pick!

You need to take a few trips before moving. Everyone has a different opinion on where to live and you are in for a bit of a shock after 25 years.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Hard to predict the future of the DR two years down the road, let alone 4 years.
4 years ago Puerto Plata was the place most visited by tourists at All Inclusive resorts. Now about half are empty, and Punta Cana is the place to go/be. The Punta Cana airport is the busiest, and now gets more travelers that even Santo Domingo.
Good Luck in any respect!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Tamtamrocks

Jan 10, 2006
And therefore you need to be talking to two groups.

East Coast dwellers and Samana dwellers. Don't discount somewhere like Cabrera too.

I lived in LT for 18 months until beginning of the year (now in the capital), and enjoy the area very much. LT as a town can drain you because it has perhaps overgrown itself and lost the small town feel especially at weekends, but you can still live a wonderful life in places live Playa Bonita and Playa Coson.

Your aspirations and budgets will help you narrow your search. You know the geography, so you need to expand on your aims and objectives when relocating and I am sure many posters will help you.

Thank you!

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Thank you.... wasn't sure why Tambo said that either?.... And I would like to have that post deleted but don't know how.

Sorry. We are all adults here and one of the rules on this board is once you post something it stays.

Nothing wrong with the post from 2006.

Tamtamrocks

Jan 10, 2006
Sorry. We are all adults here and one of the rules on this board is once you post something it stays.

Nothing wrong with the post from 2006.

Bronxboy: Every time I go to my Profile, or Settings - I get an error "..do not have permission to access this page... 1. Your user account may not have sufficient priveleges... 2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account...."

I sent a message via the "contact us" but haven't heard back. All this as I was trying to update my email as I no longer have the hotmail account. ugh.

I tried to private email you but I can't....

Can you help? I see you are a moderator. :)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Mia culpa, I was looking to see what other info she had and stumbled on her first post thinking it was from today since she only had three posts at the time I searched. Thinking it was a new post I replied and then noticed it was from 2006.

my bad, getting old' mystery over ;)

tamtam you need 11 posts before sending private messages or other things