Pistola

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
I am looking into buying a used pistola, one that is legal.
I find the gun stores are very expensive.
Any gringo selling one?

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Owning a gun in DR legally is very expensive. Are you legal to carry one, otherwise why bother buying a legal one?

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
of course i would buy from a Dominican. I just assumed there were a lot more gringos on this site. My bad.

Ok, I will rephrase.

Anyone selling a pistola or know where I can buy one used. By used I mean it is not brand new from the store.

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
Owning a gun in DR legally is very expensive. Are you legal to carry one, otherwise why bother buying a legal one?

yes I am legal to carry one. Owning a gun illegally is fraught with unknowns, at least to me. What happens if I actually fire it, maim or kill someone with an illegal weapon? We get into all kinds of complications, dont we?

What exactly are the costs in owning a legal one? Besides the purchase and trespasso (sp?), then the yearly renewal. I know the gun will cost around 125K, the trepasso will be around 25K? not sure yet what the yearly cost is?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
of course i would buy from a Dominican. I just assumed there were a lot more gringos on this site. My bad.

Ok, I will rephrase.

Anyone selling a pistola or know where I can buy one used. By used I mean it is not brand new from the store.

The gun shops also sell used ones. I traded a pistola to a gun shop in exchange for a shotgun. I think what the poster meant about buying from a Dominican is that they will want top dollar for it, just like buying a used car here, they want to sell it for more then they paid for it.

Yearly costs around $10,000 pesos for a pistola.
Annual renewal, annual medical, annual ballistic test.

Trip to Santo Domingo annually if you don't already live there.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
May I ask why you traded your pistola for a shotgun?

Too heavy (9mm Browning knock-off).
Plus it was subject to rusting, even after having it chrome plated twice.

My mistake was not buying a stainless steel pistola and a smaller one.
I'm one of those that the heat here just melts me away... ;) lol

Also the annual renewal costs and trouble was just too much.

If they ever do away with the annual ballistic test, I may get another one.
$10,000 a year was getting too outrageous, I pay about $75 U.S, for 7 years in the States.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Too heavy (9mm Browning knock-off).
Plus it was subject to rusting, even after having it chrome plated twice.

My mistake was not buying a stainless steel pistola and a smaller one.
I'm one of those that the heat here just melts me away... ;) lol

Also the annual renewal costs and trouble was just too much.

If they ever do away with the annual ballistic test, I may get another one.
$10,000 a year was getting too outrageous, I pay about $75 U.S, for 7 years in the States.

How much are the annual costs for a shotgun? Are there any? And pistol and shotgun only with permanent residency, not temporary, right?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Shotguns are a one time for life permit.
(Subject to government whims of course)

There are debates about whether you can get a permit with temporary residency.
Not my problem...............

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Shotguns scare people because they know you won't miss!!!!
20 years ago I bought a 12ga, Mossberg.
It will never rest if you keep it oiled with WD-40, or 3in1 oil.
Don't forget to oil inside the barrel.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Rock Salt goes a long way in a shotgun...good deterrent in most situations and usually won't kill someone, but gets them running, crying in the opposite direction.

Not a good idea to point a weapon at some one in the DR unless that weapon will actually do what it is designed to do. We are not in Kansas with farmer Jones trying to chase off kids from the corn field.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
i am bit confused ...the shotguns don't they have "permiso permanente" ?
one didn't need to renovate the shotguns before; did this change??

the renovation fee for guns are about 6,000 pesos per year, the antidoping test can be done at Laboratory nearby your area (they offer a list of laboratories), and the payment
is done at Banco de Reservas...there the card will be send. As i got informed the ballistic test is just once. This means no yearly
trips to santo domingo.

Sep 4, 2012
Not a good idea to point a weapon at some one in the DR unless that weapon will actually do what it is designed to do. We are not in Kansas with farmer Jones trying to chase off kids from the corn field.
Pointing a weapon without intent to use it for lethal purpose, infringes the law and the very reason why they exist.

A weapon should never be drawn without a valid reason and if so, it must be used to neutralize the target bulls eye.

Anything beyond that, shows a person whom must not be carrying a weapon at all.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
i am bit confused ...the shotguns don't they have "permiso permanente" ?
one didn't need to renovate the shotguns before; did this change??

the renovation fee for guns are about 6,000 pesos per year, the antidoping test can be done at Laboratory nearby your area (they offer a list of laboratories), and the payment
is done at Banco de Reservas...there the card will be send. As i got informed the ballistic test is just once. This means no yearly
trips to santo domingo.

Shotguns do have a permanent license.

The ballistics test for pistols is ridiculously required EVERY year, so you were misinformed on that and must include the price for that test and the trip which must be done yearly to Santo Doming when you consider the cost of ownership.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
Shotguns do have a permanent license.

The ballistics test for pistols is ridiculously required EVERY year, so you were misinformed on that and must include the price for that test and the trip which must be done yearly to Santo Doming when you consider the cost of ownership.

Thanks a lot for the swift reply! On the MIP page it says 4720 pesos for renovation of escopetas ... for that reason i really got confused!
http://mip.gob.do/index.php/requisitos-armas
wow the ballistics every year that is insane! and these trips to SD are so exhausting!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In America weapons are used 1-2 million times per year for self defense purposes. The majority of time there are no shots fired or the shots are simply warning shots. I believe that the number of justifiable self defense killings is far less than 10,000. So for every time a weapon is displayed/fired in self defense less than 1% of the cases result in the death of the criminal. This never draw unless you shoot philosophy is championed by concealed carry permit instructors (back in America) who couldn't be more wrong about how actual self defense situations actually play out in the real world. They are so paranoid about their students getting a brandishing charge that they cause them to only draw at the last second, and then to get caught up in a possible manslaughter charge.

Dominicans have no problem shooting to wound criminals as well as firing warning shots. They very seldom get into trouble either once the police see who the "victim" of their firearm is. Finally, one must remember that most police officers in America draw their weapons hundreds of times throughout their careers and less than 1% ever kill anyone. They obviously don't follow this tough guy never draw unless you shoot approach.

We are not in the USofA and I am not a born Dominican. Please understand that. Please throw out all misconceptions you have learned in other countries base upon your generalized statements.

Sep 4, 2012
In America weapons are used 1-2 million times per year for self defense purposes. The majority of time there are no shots fired or the shots are simply warning shots. I believe that the number of justifiable self defense killings is far less than 10,000. So for every time a weapon is displayed/fired in self defense less than 1% of the cases result in the death of the criminal. This never draw unless you shoot philosophy is championed by concealed carry permit instructors (back in America) who couldn't be more wrong about how actual self defense situations actually play out in the real world. They are so paranoid about their students getting a brandishing charge that they cause them to only draw at the last second, and then to get caught up in a possible manslaughter charge.

Dominicans have no problem shooting to wound criminals as well as firing warning shots. They very seldom get into trouble either once the police see who the "victim" of their firearm is. Finally, one must remember that most police officers in America draw their weapons hundreds of times throughout their careers and less than 1% ever kill anyone. They obviously don't follow this tough guy never draw unless you shoot approach.
Dare to draw a weapon in the USA and have no reason to shoot and I will read about you in the daily news for certain.

Brandishing is a whole different concept/action on its own.

A weapon is not a mean to scare off a thread/target, rather to destruct it. Pointing a gun is useless and would create more problems that it would correct.

Warning shoots? Jajaja, try that and land in jail ASAP.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It is a tough call here in the DR if you should shoot to kill, shoot to wound, or shoot to scare them off.
My next door neighbor is a general in the "Policia National" so I asked him what to do.
He said that if you wound the guy and he gets away, he will come back later for his revenge.
If you kill him, his family and friends will come back later for their revenge.
If they are outside, trying to break in, it's better to shoot to scare them away, once they know you are armed they will look elsewhere.
However, he said that if the armed thief is inside your home, you should shoot to kill.
As many shots as it takes.
you only want one story for the judge.
Years ago when my sister-in-law lived with us, some guy she brought home from a disco, took a shower, then mistakenly walked into my bedroom wrapped in a towel.
I figured out what was going on, grabbed my 12ga. and knocked on her door demanding to be let in or I would blow the door down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
She opened the door a crack, I kicked the door open,jacked a round in the chamber, and told him to RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NAKED AS HE WAS, HE GRABBED HIS SHOES AND CLOTHES and I chased him out the front door!!!
He is STILL RUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
My wife called her mother, and demanded she come and remove her sister and all her belongings immediately!!!!

"Gotta love the DR"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Status
Not open for further replies.