Mao

Toddy

Jan 10, 2002
Hi again. I am looking for some "off-the-beaten" path destinations to which to travel during my visit to the DR. I've heard this place Mao mentioned on this board several times as a particularly attractive destination. I can't seem to find much information on it in my travel guides or online. Could someone offer me some more information about it. What is its particular appeal? How long does it take to get there by motorcycle from Puerto Plata? Are there any hotels there? Would I have a problem there with my Spanish language skills, which could be characterized as proficient but not fluent.
Any other suggestions for off-the-beaten-path destinations (cultural more than natural) would be greatly appreciated.
BTW, how is Constanza and how far is it by motorcycle from Puerto Plata?

Thanks,
Todd

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Lots of better places I would suggest for now...

Go river rafting in Jarabacoa (Rancho Baiguate)
For Constanza, take the Altos Cerros Hotel excursion to Aguas Blancas water fall.
Visit Sabana de la Mar-Los Haitises (Ca?o Hondo hotel)-Playa Esmeralda in the East. You need a permit from the park office in Sabana de la Mar to visit Haitises.
Visit Damajagua Falls near Imbert (less than half an hour from Puerto Plata), ask for Roberto and have him take you to the top of these 21 cascades and natural toboggans.
See the Dudu waterhole off Cabrera in Maria Trinidad Sanchez province staying at the La Catalina hotel nearby.
Lots of places for eco travel in Samana and Cabarete.
Head out to Pelempito site in Pedernales, and combine it with a trip to Bahia las Aguilas, in the southwest.
Check the destinations descriptions on the side bar at the start page of this travel section.
Just show up at the places. Unless you go on a long weekend, it is unlikely they will not have rooms.
Regarding traveling by motorcycle... note that distances in the DR are long. You should not travel at night. Better to go by public transport.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I "Love" Mao! (Joke!) But do take these suggestions to heart.

Constanza is an ass-busting ride but it might be worth it. I think Dolores has suggested many more interesting and glorious places to visit. Do what she says!!

HB

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Oops... did not take notice that you are looking for Cultural more then Natural off the beaten posts... The one's I mention before are mainly natural wonders places. You will come in touch with the people of the area, but they are not what I would call cultural sites.

For culture, nothing beats Santo Domingo, the capital city. Again, forget the motorcycle. Best to get around by taxi (RD$50 the ride), because the city is full of one way streets. There visit the Colonial City, the Plaza de la Cultura museums, and the Mercado Modelo. Then for more Dominican culture, do the night life circuit -- Poligono Central (Winston Churchill to Tiradentes, up from 27 de Febrero, down from JFKennedy Avenue) for upscale. The Jet Set night club at Av. Independencia for everyone, or the colmadones (beer parlors) and dance floors in eastern Santo Domingo for where the pueblo hangs out. Also, check out Multicentro La Sirena to get another aspect of Dominican culture. All sorts of people from all walks of Dominican life shop there or at Plaza Lama. No economic or racial discrimination in those shopping centers.

Next, would say, Santiago, Hillbilly's town. They have a carnival mask museum, a tobacco museum... lots of very friendly and hospitable people. If you were there in February, enjoy carnival

Max for carnival is Sundays in February in nearby La Vega (midway between south and north coasts).

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Santo Cerros

If you near La Vega it is worth taking a few hours to go up to Santo Cerros. It takes a half and hour up and a half an our down. There is an old church at the top of the mountain. There is some interesting history and culture to see.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If La Vega gets to see you, you have to see

La Vega Vieja. these are the ruins of the 500 year old town of La Vega. Many interesting artifacts. Near the Santo Cerro.

HB