Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Streaming Sports Spam Threads

For some time now, DR1 has been under a spam attack from a group promoting streaming sports spam. DR1 moderators are working diligently to delete and ban them as soon as they see them.

We are not the only ones being targeted, many other online groups are having the same problem with the same people. They are automated spam bots and they have found a way around the forum software that normally does not allow a new member to post links.

So.......

1. Please do not click on any of their links.
    2. Please do not post in their threads.
    3. Please feel free to report the spam as soon as you see it - it helps us to target the threads quicker.
    4. Please be patient when the threads do not get deleted immediately - the mods have real lives, jobs, families, and we do have to sleep

Administrator
    DR1.com

2. Likes Chirimoya, AnnaC, ramesses, jstarebel liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

AE, the Quickbooks vB forum that I belong to requires you to complete a sentence (along the lines of Mary had a little ---.) before you can register so as to prevent the auto bots. It appears to work as I haven't seen deluges of spam on it. Has Robert not considered this?

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobrouser View Post
    AE, the Quickbooks vB forum that I belong to requires you to complete a sentence (along the lines of Mary had a little ---.) before you can register so as to prevent the auto bots. It appears to work as I haven't seen deluges of spam on it. Has Robert not considered this?
    I know nothing about the workings, but I'm sure he'll see this.

Administrator
    DR1.com

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

We tried something like that once and it caused more work because the threads with certain words were not approved till a mod checked it and approved it for viewing. Also caused many good threads to go into the unapproved section. Easier to delete spam threads. Thanks to those that report spam.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

This isn't to post a thread, but to register as a new user. In order to complete your profile you have to finish a sentence with the correct word.

The hockey forum I visit also implemented it last year after a massive spam attack and it works fine.

7. Likes AnnaC, ramesses liked this post
    Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

This isn't to post a thread, but to register as a new user. In order to complete your profile you have to finish a sentence with the correct word.

The hockey forum I visit also implemented it last year after a massive spam attack and it works fine.
    I believe it's called a "Captcha"

Stay Calm, The Moderator is Here

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SantiagoDR View Post
    I believe it's called a "Captcha"

10. Likes AnnaC, windeguy liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

We use Captcha and a question, plus a special timeout between when you start to register and when you confirm.

Yes, it's effecting many forums right now. These are manually registrations and postings.
    They go back and edit their posts within a set time in order to add the link.

We are working on a fix.

12. Likes N/A, ramesses liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    We use Captcha and a question, plus a special timeout between when you start to register and when you confirm.

Yes, it's effecting many forums right now. These are manually registrations and postings.
    They go back and edit their posts within a set time in order to add the link.

We are working on a fix.
    This might be extreme but new posters can't send a pm till they have about 11 posts perhaps they shouldn't be allowed to post link as sell.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaC View Post
    This might be extreme but new posters can't send a pm till they have about 11 posts perhaps they shouldn't be allowed to post link as sell.
    They can't. That why they post and then go in and re-edit to add the link.
    A new post is handled different to an edited post, hence the issue.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast