Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1
    DR1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    20,906
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Streaming Sports Spam Threads

    For some time now, DR1 has been under a spam attack from a group promoting streaming sports spam. DR1 moderators are working diligently to delete and ban them as soon as they see them.

    We are not the only ones being targeted, many other online groups are having the same problem with the same people. They are automated spam bots and they have found a way around the forum software that normally does not allow a new member to post links.

    So.......

    1. Please do not click on any of their links.
    2. Please do not post in their threads.
    3. Please feel free to report the spam as soon as you see it - it helps us to target the threads quicker.
    4. Please be patient when the threads do not get deleted immediately - the mods have real lives, jobs, families, and we do have to sleep

    Administrator
    DR1.com

  2. Likes Chirimoya, AnnaC, ramesses, jstarebel liked this post
  3. #2
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    1,974
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    AE, the Quickbooks vB forum that I belong to requires you to complete a sentence (along the lines of Mary had a little ---.) before you can register so as to prevent the auto bots. It appears to work as I haven't seen deluges of spam on it. Has Robert not considered this?

  4. #3
    DR1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    20,906
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mobrouser View Post
    AE, the Quickbooks vB forum that I belong to requires you to complete a sentence (along the lines of Mary had a little ---.) before you can register so as to prevent the auto bots. It appears to work as I haven't seen deluges of spam on it. Has Robert not considered this?
    I know nothing about the workings, but I'm sure he'll see this.

    Administrator
    DR1.com

  5. #4
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    16,409
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mobrouser View Post
    AE, the Quickbooks vB forum that I belong to requires you to complete a sentence (along the lines of Mary had a little ---.) before you can register so as to prevent the auto bots. It appears to work as I haven't seen deluges of spam on it. Has Robert not considered this?
    We tried something like that once and it caused more work because the threads with certain words were not approved till a mod checked it and approved it for viewing. Also caused many good threads to go into the unapproved section. Easier to delete spam threads. Thanks to those that report spam.

  6. #5
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    1,974
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This isn't to post a thread, but to register as a new user. In order to complete your profile you have to finish a sentence with the correct word.

    The hockey forum I visit also implemented it last year after a massive spam attack and it works fine.

  7. Likes AnnaC, ramesses liked this post
  8. #6
    Moderator - Clown Central
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,967
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mobrouser View Post
    This isn't to post a thread, but to register as a new user. In order to complete your profile you have to finish a sentence with the correct word.

    The hockey forum I visit also implemented it last year after a massive spam attack and it works fine.
    I believe it's called a "Captcha"

    Stay Calm, The Moderator is Here

  9. #7
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    11,118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SantiagoDR View Post
    I believe it's called a "Captcha"

  10. Likes AnnaC, windeguy liked this post
  11. #8
    DR1
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    0
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We use Captcha and a question, plus a special timeout between when you start to register and when you confirm.

    Yes, it's effecting many forums right now. These are manually registrations and postings.
    They go back and edit their posts within a set time in order to add the link.

    We are working on a fix.

  12. Likes N/A, ramesses liked this post
  13. #9
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    16,409
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    We use Captcha and a question, plus a special timeout between when you start to register and when you confirm.

    Yes, it's effecting many forums right now. These are manually registrations and postings.
    They go back and edit their posts within a set time in order to add the link.

    We are working on a fix.
    This might be extreme but new posters can't send a pm till they have about 11 posts perhaps they shouldn't be allowed to post link as sell.

  14. #10
    DR1
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    0
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaC View Post
    This might be extreme but new posters can't send a pm till they have about 11 posts perhaps they shouldn't be allowed to post link as sell.
    They can't. That why they post and then go in and re-edit to add the link.
    A new post is handled different to an edited post, hence the issue.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •