Occidental Playa Real (Juan Dolio)?

jcoutts

Jan 17, 2002
Has anyone visited this hotel in recent months. I am wondering what it is like? e.g. food, accomodation, activities for my children.

Also what is the scuba diving like in that area?

Thanks

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Playa Real Posted 1-14-2002 13:02
I posted this answer for you on Debbie's travel board and will repost it here in case you missed it
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was there visiting a friend last week and people staying there were having a grand time. The resort is now owned by Allegro and they have made some improvements. Playa Real is a smaller more intimate resort which I think will be better for your children. They will not be overwelmed by the size or comotion of a bigger resort. It is centrally located in the town of Jaun Dolio so that walking around the town to shop or just explore is easy. The animation team caters to children during the day. Your children will have all the entertainment they can handle. I suggest that if you get the chance to on Monday evening that you and your wife go across the street and down to the left just a little ways and visit Guilia's Italian Resturant.It is a sidewalk cafe and a good place to meet and talk with the local people. On Monday evenings they have live bands and it is a great place to go.Player Real can probrably provide safe babysitting if you are the type to take advantage of the service. Also, if you tire of the food at Playa Real take the children to Guilia's or to the Playa Real Plaza. This is another outside cafe and they have great pizzas. The hambergers and fries are more like what we are used to in the USA at Guilla's. If you have any other questions about Playa Real or Jaun Dolio please feel free to ask. I have lived in Jaun Dolio and know the area well.

jcoutts

Jan 17, 2002
Occidental Playa Real

Thanks Dulce, I did read your comments. I really appreciate it

However I was hoping for some first hand knowledge from someone else, hence my posting here. No offense!!!

alex2812

Jan 31, 2002
I would checkout the Barcelo Capella Beach Resort. It's right down the street, it has alot more to offer and the prices are close. I have stayed at every major resort in Juan Dolio and the Barcelo Capella Beach resort is by far the top of the list.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Barcelo Capella is the biggest and prettiest but it is not the best because of change of management. Prices do not come close coming from the USA either. Playa Real can be had for $799 a week and Capella is closer to $999 and up. For a family on a budget the price is not worth the difference. Playa Real is smaller and more family oriented and located better for families.

sherryva

May 1, 2003
Just stayed at Playa Real until 4/30/03

I just returned yesterday from the Occidental Allegro Playa Real resort. It was ok. Not tremendous, but good enough. I stayed for 6 nights. I had read on some message boards this place was not acceptable to some peoples standards, but it was fine for me.
It was my very first trip to the DR and had read all the message boards I could find and some were more complimentary than others. I found DR to be a beautiful place with beautiful, warm people as well. I have traveled throughout the Caribbean - particularly Jamaica extensively and through I would give it a try here. I am not the type of traveler that will stay exclusively on the resort though. If I am somewhere new, I want to be out and about taking advantage of my surroundings, not just the hotel.

The good parts:
The staff was very helpful, friendly and courteous. All of them always had what seemed to be a genuine smile and hello. It amazed me because they would be speaking english to us and then switch over to the next people and talk german or french. I was quite impressed!!!
The grounds were beautiful. There are two pools and a play area for kids and everything is right at the beach. When you look out the balcony doors, you can see that beautiful ocean and abundance of palm trees.

OKAY parts
These weren't necessarily bad, but not great either, so they are somewhere in the middle.....
The pool. It looked like a nice area, but the pool looked cloudy
at times.
The water was turned off at night. I can't tell you exactly what
time this happens, but it does nightly. I know it is after 1:00
a.m. or so though and comes back on about 6-ish.
The room itself had potential, but was kind of run down. i.e., it could have used a new coat of paint and maybe a new bedspread. Not so bad, but a little. The beds were comfortable enough and the maids did a GREAT job of keeping the room spotless. We did stay in a regular room with two beds. As we walked through the hotel property, some of the rooms on the bottom floor had the curtains opened and the ones that had the seperate living room and bedroom looked much nicer.

THE LOCATION
It is a taxi ride for $35 each way from the airport. Depending on the taxi - could take 30 minutes or a bit more. On the way, you will pass Boca Chica. We went to San Pedro (the next town south) to a couple of bars on Saturday and Sunday nights. It was good to get away from the resort too!

The BAD THINGS
Nothing here! :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to email me at Sherry0118@aol.com

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
My girlfriend used to be a bartender at Playa Real. I never stayed there but went on a day pass once. The food was "ok" the ppol was decent, the people all seemed to enjoy themselves. I went with a friend from Mexico city and he wants to return.

I found that most of the staff does not speak english. Management yes, but bartenders, waitresses etc, mostly do not. Not a problem for me, but you should know.