A note to JayUKcomingto DR (and others) Long..

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As perhaps the elder/eldest non-Dominican-born resident poster here, allow me to let my nearly 40 years of experience come into play. Bear with me.

Jay, you have received a wealth of information and fair advice. Do come here. BUT, for God's sake go slow. Get a feel for the place, as Bush Baby so astutely suggested. Take a look-see at prospects. Keep your options open.

Jay, you asked if AZB's invite to someone he had never met to spend a week end with him was very generous. It certainly was, but we seem to do that rather regularly here. It might be the DR that instills us with this familiarity, I don't know.

I do know that most of the people will give you the tattered shirt off of their backs if you need it more than they do.

Yes, I was most disappointed at JohnS' remarks as to why this was not the place for him. I have to agree that he did not really "see" the DR. That is probably the reason. His girlfriend, apparently a professional person with an active practice, was not able to show him all that he needed to see. I would imagine that the social origins of this lady were also not to JohnS' level either.
Remember that JohnS is a Swede. A very rigid society, with one of the highest suicide rates in the world. Perhaps they want too much from the world, I do not know....

Someone once posted here that if your "favorite" partner (a) did not have a US Visa; (b) did not have a bank account with an amount of money equal to your own(in RD$, not US$, to be fair); (c) had never traveled out of Santo Domingo, and (d) did not have a credit card, than this was not a person for you to spend your life with. I agree, almost entirely, since I have to accept the possibilities of an exception to this generality.

I often wonder what are these husbands doing for a living in Canada?

Marc, in a comment on the size of the DR, mentioned that his grandfather's homestead was as big as this country. Nice thought, but far from true. We are talking about 48,000 sq. km or about 18, 500 sq miles. New Hampshire and West Virginia
are comparable. Not huge, but large enough. It seems that few have hit upon the fact that there is enormous variety to be found here.

One of the ladies mentioned how difficult high humidity and high heat are to endure, day after day-better than freezing feet, but a difficulty. Having lived in San Juan, PR for some time, I certainly agree! But you can go just a few kilometers out of Santo Domingo and enjoy some fresher climes in the little hills nearby. Or, if you really want a change, go up to Constanza for a weekend. Something even more different?; go to Montecristi or Perdenales or Neiba, where there is a semi-arid desert climate.

Hey this is getting long and boring!. Let me finish by saying to one and all: Sure, come to the DR. But take your time. Explore. Get to know people. Do not take rash decisions, motivated by sex, lust or love....or climate for that matter.

And friend JayUK, listen mate, there is a saying: "Mi casa es su casa!" A lot of people kid about this, but when someone here in the DR says this, it means you have passed into an inner circle, and you really can go there at most any time and you will recieve what they have to offer.

Another saying, heard everyday at meal times (at least at my house) Buen provecho! (Good eating +/-) Said when someone comes into the dining area. It is always answered by: A buen tiempo! (You are just in time-to eat!!) And you can sit at the table and there will be food for you....even if someone in the house goes without! (this is an extreme example, certainly not to happen in my house.)

So, show up mate, you got some beer and food here...learn the ropes and then do your thing..
As for licenses? Few, but ask Eddy or AndyB

HB

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
HB,

That's what I call one hell of a good post.

BTW maybe the high suicide rate is because after paying your taxes it just ain't worth living in Sweden.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
The only way I will leave DR is if the immigration would pull me out of my house and deport me. I have been to many countries but I just can't seem to get enough of DR. This weekend, i would be going up to the mountains to feel the fresh cool air.
As far as JohnS' case is concerned: I don't know what is his problem but I must say "some people just don't get it...."

CES

Jan 1, 2002
Some thoughts. . .

HI ~

Se?or professor HB, I just might be the holder of "Venerable Veteran" status here (as in number of years on this ol' planet, I can remember the news coverage of 'WW 2' - radio, newspapers, magazines, and movie news reels) although your 40 trumps my 35+ years. lol

~ + ~

That opinions and advise that our 'veteran poster' offers is heart felt and time tested. I must agree with all the points that he makes. I would like to add, in the most diplomatic manner possible, a word or two on cultural differences one might observe during a visit to the DR.

I should preface my remarks with the following personnel information. My life has been blessed by our marriage, my wife is very much so, "una Dominicana", a remarkable lady in many ways. For one, she has put up with me for the past 35+ years. lol I consider myself very fortunate to have married "so well", Mrs. CES is more than my equal as partner in life and marriage. I was the one that had to learn "the social graces" that were necessary to 'navigate' in Dominican society (considering my rural upbringing, it was sort of a plus being a well mannered young lad). Rather than rambling on endlessly I'll just say this, my young bride brought to our marriage all the necessary skills: common sense, manners, education, intellect, and, for good measure, an aptitude for the culinary arts.

If one was to take the time to properly search out these things: good music, serious art work as painting and sculpture, poetry, zarzuelas/ sp. (operettas), and ballet you would, quite possible, be very pleased in what you have discovered. After all there is more to life than the beach scene (sand, sun, beer, girls and guys). The questions that have been raised here aren't unique to the Dominican Republic, I think they are universal in nature. By all means visit and experience all that the DR has to offer, there is a whole other side to the coin if you will just turn it over. .

?Buen provecho! . . . ?A buen tiempo! . . .

regards,

. . . CES

Last edited:

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
HB & CES

You guys are going to make me cry. Its cold here, we got dumped on with the white stuff and for the better part of the day I've been working on the most boring tedious task that an attorney can endeavor at--responding to a production request. I've only been back two and a half weeks but about a week ago I started missing the culture, the food, the weather and of course, Maria. The middle of next month won't come too soon when I can get on that plane again. Between now and then I just hope I don't slip and fall on the ice, fracture my hip and die from pneumonia in the hospital. We'll try to set aside a day to get into Santiago HB. Will let you know. Its another short trip though. BTW, American put me on the zig zag route again. I leave my house at 7:00 a.m. to get to O'Hare at 8:00 a.m. for a 10:00 a.m. flight. I go from Chicago to New Orleans to Miami to POP arriving in POP around 10:30 p.m. Thats a long day of traveling. I'll be ready for a frosty Presidente and a sweet mamajuana.

CES

Jan 1, 2002
Yo! KenChris. . .

Please don't break your freeak'n hip, they'll just have to shoot you, after all you're just an ol' legal hack, as it were. . . lol

Your flight plan is nuts, when we fly from N. CA it takes 14 hrs. + and that's the very best time if we are lucky. _:(_

regards,

. . . Charlie

PS. . . take care of yourself you ol' reprobate, we haven't shared that 'cold one' yet _:)_

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Note to CES. Sir, you realize, of course that we both fished the same waters?

You can be sure that way back when, this preppie could eat chicken with a knife and fork, knew which spoon to use and most of the polite social graces.

However that very young lady and her bear of a Mom sure threw me more learnin'in three months than all the post grad courses I have ever taken!!. I kept thinking: "She can't be 16!" Finest H.S. in Boston, scholarship offers to Trinity College in D.C., France on the horizon. All those medals from her High School, at that age? No way! And her Mother? A creature from a Fairy Tale? Constant chaperoning. Formal betrothal? I never saw it coming! All I wanted was to date the daughter and I ended up engaged!. Dang! Things were strict back then...Remember CES??

And as she now says: We have been married 36 years and two years of "amores intensos!! "......hehehe.

I feel sorry for a lot of these people that come here and don't get to feel the country and its people....

Ah CES, you do bring back memories....

HB

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Building up Brownie points??

Hey CES & HB,
are you two building up Brownie points with the Ladies who control you??? I FULLY appreciate the sentiments of showing credits where credit is due & applaude you both for doing so!!!

That is possibly one thing I miss in the Dominican men, .... showing respect, gratitude & humility to the good ladies who help to put them where they are. Giving & showing love is quite a bit more than visits to the bedroom (or wherever!!).

Have a nice one GENTLEmen - Grahame.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
CES: My Lethal Weapon

Anybody that knows me up here knows that I keep a gun with a bullet in the chamber just in case this old horse indeed breaks a hip. Nice to hear from you again. God Bless.

CES

Jan 1, 2002
HB and memmories.. . .

In the metaphoric sense we fished the same waters although literally we cast our tackle in different seas, 'if you know what I mean. Also the circumstances of our respective introductions and courtship's were oceans and seas apart (Pacific verses the Atlantic ocean, Caribbean Sea).

My bride to be was accustom to "The King's English" (} but not your's Grahame {) it seems that her principal english teacher spoke with the lilt one would hear from the inhabitants of a small sun drenched Caribbean island. My spanish was a joke in that neither one of us understood what I had just said. As I've said Mrs. C' is the educated one and in a short time she actually began to understand our halting conversations, I don't ever remember us using a dictionary.

As you've said H.B., (I was introduced to the DR in 1966), you do bring back memories. . .

regards,

. . . CES

Last edited:

JayUKcomingtoDR

Jan 15, 2002
Kind words

To Hillybilly, CES et all.

What can i say, im overwhelmed. When i posted my message on this site i just found, i didnt expect such a response. It just goes to show the warmth i felt when i was last there in the DR in December, is truly is a onderful. And that alone is worth the ticket.
I hear what you all say, about not jumping in. I have been looking at property on the net real estate pages. I now realise, with your advice, that it would be better to get a long term rental anmd go , as they say, "slowly, slowly, catchy monkey".
I will live there for 6 months, get to the know this wonderful place and its people. Hopefully pay some of you a visit, if thats ok? I find your thoughts on life very enjoyable, and hope to sink a few presidente's , chewing the fat, so to speak.
Some of you talk about your loves of your life. Well, they say there comes a moment when you discover the love you have for someone. My girl is called Andrea. We holiday'd in the DR in December. We had a magical time. It is the first time I had been on holiday with a girl, and i was seeing how we'd get along. What can i say, we were inseperable.
The point im making is, we have had a bit of time to re-evaluate our lives since Dec 20th, and are both sure we want to give it a go in the DR.
yOU SEE, DRIVING B ACK FROM THE AIRPORT, COMING HOME FROM OUR HOLIDAY IN DEC, WE CRASHED OUR CAR DOING ABOUT 85MPH. wE FLIPPED IT, TOOK OUT A FENCE AND LANDED UPSIDE DOWN A 100 YARDS OF THE ROAD IN A COLD AND FREEZING FIELD. a FENCE POST PIERCED THE BOTTOM OF THE CAR AND HER SEAT AND SHATTERED HER PELVIS AND HIPS. sHE GOT AIRLIFTED TO A HOSPITAL AND HAS BEEN IN SINCE. sO NOT THE BEST WAY TO FINISH OUR WONDERFUL HOLIDAY!
The thing is, we were lucky, we should have both died, u r talking inches. It suddenly made us think, hey u only live once. All that talk of your life flashing in front of you is baloney, as far as im concerned. U r living then u r dead, at that speed anyway. Thats it, end of story. Well i wanna do alot of things and one is live in the DR for a bit, i got a second chance for some reason. And i realise that if u dont follow ur heart an d go for it, u might never do it.
So as soon as shes better, we are over! I hope to meet you there.

Carpe dium ( seize the day )

thanks for listening

bill

Jan 1, 2002
forget the bar jayuk

sounds like you've got a career predestined
in driving school!!!!!!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear JayUK

I can hear it now: "Jaysus! mate, you fookin' outta yor bean?"

85 on the A-10? I guess super highways are not all theya re cracked up to be.

Damn, that was super scary....Happy that the Good Lord was lookin'over your shoulder.

Send me an e-mail and I will give you my numbers so that when you do get here we can talk a bit....

HB, with best wishes to Andrea....