Firearm question #3

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
Probably the dumbest question of the day:

Are there firearm handling courses in this country? A refresher on good practices, that sort of thing?
As it applies to pistola or escupeta?

Driving range with price in Santiago or near Puerto Plata?

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Far from the dumbest question of the day, have you read this forum?
These things should be compulsory, but I can't say I've ever heard of anything other than a few Americans around Sosua giving lessons.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I found the following VERY OLD threads on DR1:

There is a gun range in Santiago near Camp David, but I don't know if you can rent guns there. If you have one you can shoot there though. It is also a government licensed testing range for license applicants. I have not been there in about two years, but I assume it is still open.

There's a nice, new range just outside of Santiago on the road to Moca, with working electronic targets. You can rent Berreta 9m, Colt's etc.. Non members is about $RDS1,000 + $RDS400 for the gun rental. Price includes 50 bullets. On-site is also a firearms instructor, but he does only speak Spanish. Best range I have seen in the country.

The owners name is Pedro and their number is 809-724-8476. Armeria Heptagono, Carretera Santiao-Licey km 3.5. About 200mt after Illussion on the left hand side if you are heading in the Moco / Licey direction. It is off the main road and very easy to miss the sign.

Casa de Campo has a clay shooting range area. It's one of the best in the world, that's what Casa says. I like it, though I don't know if its the best in the world, but its pretty good.

This is better than killing some animal for enjoyments sake. Just my opinion.

Check with your local gun shops, they very likely can tell you about ranges.
Some may even have back rooms for target practice.

dropshort

May 18, 2008
I have handled weapons from .22 up to 155MM both direct and indirect fire.
Most people make me very nervous.

Shooting oneself with a weapon while cleaning it should be a Captial Offence if it wasn?t one already.

DS

exeurodominican

Feb 1, 2014
Anyone renovated firearm license here lately???

Last year payed the tax at BanReservas, did the doping exam and after a few weeks I was called to come for ballistics in Santo Domingo where I had to pay the tax right there.
After a few months I could pick up my new license at Banreservas.

This year, payed Banreservas everything, including the ballistics and they told me that I, after doing the doping thing had to go to Santo Domingo for the ballistics without waiting for an invitation.

Then I understood from Banreservas that I should go again to Santo Domingo to pick up my new renovated license.

May 5, 2007

Shooting oneself with a weapon while cleaning it should be a Captial Offence if it wasn?t one already.

DS

Your mention of the 155mm and mishandling of guns made me think of a story I read written by a Marine Tanker on Tarawa He was the Gunner on a Sherman that had engaged a Japanese light tank, the Sherman fired it?s 75mm and missed, the gunner opened the breech to load another round at same time Jap tank fired The 37mm hit the 75 on end of barrel and exploded, shooting the explosion down the barrel and into the tank blowing out part of the rear bustle No one was hurt All the author said was ?Thank God the breech was open and no round was in the gun?

Sep 4, 2012

DS

My take is that negligence discharge shouldn't even exist as a term to describe STUPIDITY while handling a firearm. Firearms owners know exactly what am portraying here. I've also had the privelege to deal with great amount of firepower and weaponry overall on and off the field, have yet to experience the stupidity that I've observed in others.o

May 5, 2007
My take is that negligence discharge shouldn't even exist as a term to describe STUPIDITY while handling a firearm. Firearms owners know exactly what am portraying here. I've also had the privelege to deal with great amount of firepower and weaponry overall on and off the field, have yet to experience the stupidity that I've observed in others.o

I had a good friend who was an active duty Sgt on a fairly large department, he had about 14 years on and accidentally killed himself
while putting on his gun It's still being investigated but the trigger somehow caught one of the keepers or other equipment on his belt
discharging the pistol into his leg he bled to dearth before reaching the hospital it's not always stupid, true accidents do happen

exeurodominican

Feb 1, 2014
Sorry gents, but I need this info badly because of the typical contradictions in this paradise, so I'm posting it again and looking forword for fellow fictims:

Anyone renovated firearm license here lately????

Last year payed the tax at BanReservas, did the doping exam and after a few weeks I was called to come for ballistics in Santo Domingo where I had to pay the tax right there.
After a few months I could pick up my new license at Banreservas.

This year, payed Banreservas everything, including the ballistics and they told me that I, after doing the doping thing had to go to Santo Domingo for the ballistics without waiting for an invitation.

Then I understood from Banreservas that I should go again to Santo Domingo to pick up my new renovated license.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Pay the fees, taxes at banreserva. Get a doping test. You may need a good conduct certificate. Go to the ballistics lab in SD, get picture, fingerprinted, present all hand guns for ballistics testing, leave. Your renewal will be sent to the banreserva branch where you paid. Check requirements before you go to SD. They change frequently.

No appointment in SD necessary.

The current minister of the interior (my opinion) isn't too keen on guns in the hands of civilians. If your existing license has lapsed, or if you are a gringo, a renewal is taking 6 months plus to be issued. For Dominicans slightly faster, but completely disregard the 15 day time frame you will be told.

New applications for a license by a gringo without having contacts to speed up the process are taking a year and if there is a problem processing your application, you will never know until you contact the ministerio and ask. Getting someone to answer the phone is near impossible at the public access telephone numbers.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If you have firearm license questions your best bet to find someone who will answer the telephone is the ballistics lab. The Minsterio de Interior y Policia is useless.

exeurodominican

Feb 1, 2014
Thanks Cdn_Gringo for your reply. Allready tryed finding ballistics lab tel. number. Found one and they don't bather to answer questions neather. I'll take the risk and go to the ballistics lab like last year.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Ammo is very expensive here. If the cops cannot respond as they are out of gas I doubt there is much range time offered to police. They just have to look bad in their body armor and boots. Training, not much.