The tale of the two Colmados

Status
Not open for further replies.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I moved... I found the nearest Colmado, went there, introduced myself to the owner and said that I live just down the road, will be by often, and am having a lot of family come in November. And, that I am interested in buying a lot of booze and ice from him if the price is right. I bought a couple things, but didn't pay attention to the cost.

The second Colmado, is a little farther from my new place and is close to my old place. I'd been there before, but not often. I also told the owner I was having a big group and November and that I was going to be buying a lot of ice and booze if the price was right.

I've only bought smokes at the second (farther away), and she always charges me RD$170.

I go to the first (new closer one) for a second time, and his wife is working the till. He standing right next to her though and says "Hi" to me. I get a pack of smokes and she rings it in at RD$200. I say "muy carro, docientos?" She says "Si" with a little grin, and the husband, owner I just talked to the other day, says nothing.

Guess who is going to get my business?!? And, I told the second, farther away owner what had happened and thanked her for not charging me the Gringo price. I also told her she had my business, even though it was a little farther down the road. Maybe, the concept will stick!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I moved... I found the nearest Colmado, went there, introduced myself to the owner and said that I live just down the road, will be by often, and am having a lot of family come in November. And, that I am interested in buying a lot of booze and ice from him if the price is right. I bought a couple things, but didn't pay attention to the cost.

The second Colmado, is a little farther from my new place and is close to my old place. I'd been there before, but not often. I also told the owner I was having a big group and November and that I was going to be buying a lot of ice and booze if the price was right.

I've only bought smokes at the second (farther away), and she always charges me RD$170.

I go to the first (new closer one) for a second time, and his wife is working the till. He standing right next to her though and says "Hi" to me. I get a pack of smokes and she rings it in at RD$200. I say "muy carro, docientos?" She says "Si" with a little grin, and the husband, owner I just talked to the other day, says nothing.

Guess who is going to get my business?!? And, I told the second, farther away owner what had happened and thanked her for not charging me the Gringo price. I also told her she had my business, even though it was a little farther down the road. Maybe, the concept will stick!

nothing new here. Dominicans, in the main, do not understand the concept of the future. to them, it is the time when they pay you back the money they borrowed. beyond that , it does not exist. in your case, they would rather rip you off for 30 pesos today, and lose you as a customer for life. heck, they do not know if you are going to die later this afternoon.

i went to Nagua last week, and took a motoconcho from the bus station to the hotel. on the way over, small talk broke out, and i told the guy i would be there for a week. one would instinctively believe that he would try to make a customer of me for the week, by giving me a fair price. nope. he robbed me, by charging me twice what i usually pay. then he had the balls to give me his cell phone number, telling me to call him when i needed to get around.

they don?t get it..plain and simple.-

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
If you know the prices you are "supposed" to pay and the colmado and the motoconcho charged you more, WHY in God's name did you pay it ???

For the cigarettes, why not just say "No thank you, I'm not paying 200".... And to the motoconcho, why not just GIVE him the amount you KNOW it's worth ???

Maybe because it's written all over your face that anybody can walk all over you ?? And then you complain AFTER the facts ??

Gee guys, grow a spine.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If you know the prices you are "supposed" to pay and the colmado and the motoconcho charged you more, WHY in God's name did you pay it ???

For the cigarettes, why not just say "No thank you, I'm not paying 200".... And to the motoconcho, why not just GIVE him the amount you KNOW it's worth ???

Maybe because it's written all over your face that anybody can walk all over you ?? And then you complain AFTER the facts ??

Gee guys, grow a spine.

Is it worth having a fight over the equivalent of .66, we understand it's the principle, seriously GET A LIFE!

I can no longer read these threads about saving a .02 on an aguacate.

PS Cigarettes are a filthy habit!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

Gee guys, grow a spine.

you are being really funny , now. yes, i am a foreigner, alone in a strange town, and i am going to tell the motoconcho guy, who probably has a knife in his pocket, that i am not paying his price. i save my heroics for better pursuits than trying to save 50 pesos. a woman in Puerto Plata was stabbed to death because the concho ride was 25 pesos, and she only had 20. i will pass on the heroics. i am too old for that.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Is it worth having a fight over the equivalent of .66, we understand it's the principle, seriously GET A LIFE!

I think the thing is that while you might not mind it, most people don't like feeling they are being ripped off - even for a relatively small amount. I agree with the OP that if I feel one establishment is overcharging me and another isn't, I will go to the one where I am fairly treated.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I think the thing is that while you might not mind it, most people don't like feeling they are being ripped off - even for a relatively small amount. I agree with the OP that if I feel one establishment is overcharging me and another isn't, I will go to the one where I am fairly treated.

I agree 100% about not being a pendejo, I question the price, when appropriate.

I happen to agree with Gorgon, in the case of a moto price, in a non-familiar situation, I am not going to get my throat sliced over RD50. A colmado, of course I am going to walkout if the owner tries to charge me 3X the "local" price for a huevo!

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
You are supposed to work out the details of your deal BEFORE you accept the service. I agree with you that your negotiating position was not strong, but that was avoidable. I hope you approach it differently from now on. If you don't, well, you have received the advice in any case.

you are being really funny , now. yes, i am a foreigner, alone in a strange town, and i am going to tell the motoconcho guy, who probably has a knife in his pocket, that i am not paying his price. i save my heroics for better pursuits than trying to save 50 pesos. a woman in Puerto Plata was stabbed to death because the concho ride was 25 pesos, and she only had 20. i will pass on the heroics. i am too old for that.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I agree 100% about not being a pendejo, I question the price, when appropriate.

Just as an FYI, pendejo can be a different meaning in other places.

A pendejo in other cultures can mean a slick person, ex. Peru.

But, we all know this relates to DR.

Back on topic.................

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You are supposed to work out the details of your deal BEFORE you accept the service. I agree with you that your negotiating position was not strong, but that was avoidable. I hope you approach it differently from now on. If you don't, well, you have received the advice in any case.

actually, i do not generally consider a one mile motoconcho ride to be an occasion upon which i work out the details of a deal. it is not as if i am getting a guy to build me a pool. secondly, there are situations wherein you might think you have a deal, but you do not. case in point...there is a sign posted at the southwest corner of La Sirena which state the charges to destinations in all parts of the burgh. however, you can get on a motoconcho, and, upon arriving, you attempt to pay what you saw on the chart. the guy will simply tell you that he does not adhere to those rates, and demand his individual charge. at that point in time it is far better to just pay the guy and get it over with. i do not want dv8 publishing my obituary over 15 pesos.

Mar 1, 2009
They will attempt to rip you off eventually so just give them the exact amount and say "eso es lo k todo el mundo cobra".
She won't be smiling next time, but you will! :)
LC

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I think I understand your point of view after reading this. I hope it works out for you.

actually, i do not generally consider a one mile motoconcho ride to be an occasion upon which i work out the details of a deal. it is not as if i am getting a guy to build me a pool. secondly, there are situations wherein you might think you have a deal, but you do not. case in point...there is a sign posted at the southwest corner of La Sirena which state the charges to destinations in all parts of the burgh. however, you can get on a motoconcho, and, upon arriving, you attempt to pay what you saw on the chart. the guy will simply tell you that he does not adhere to those rates, and demand his individual charge. at that point in time it is far better to just pay the guy and get it over with. i do not want dv8 publishing my obituary over 15 pesos.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I think I understand your point of view after reading this. I hope it works out for you.

thanks for your wise counsel, arturo. actually, in respect to the aforementioned motoconcho situation at La Sirena...i ask the guy if he is connected to the La Sirena operation. if he says he is not, i tell him to go crap in a hat.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Stop being a dick. If you have nothing of value to contribute, don't bother. Simple!

Last edited by a moderator:

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Ya know, and the sad thing is, sometimes I don't mind. Just a couple days ago, I had a concho tell me RD$300 for maybe 45 min of riding around. I had gotten a price to the Papaterria, and return. But, of course the Papaterria didn't have what I wanted. He took me to Sosua Abajo, and knew where to get what I wanted, and returned me. As my original quote was only for the Pappateria, I asked "Cuesta", and he said "trescientos", "por comedia"

I smirked and gave it to him, made his day... Maybe, cause he saw me standing by the road again about an hour later, stopped, and with a big grin said "My fren'!". I told him I needed to go home, and asked how much. He said "Nada!" We were friends now!!! And, he did too. Took me home, and didn't ask for more. Well, he asked for a cigarette...

Anywho, I don't mind being charitable to the occasional broke ass Dominicano, I just prefer it be my idea. The gringo tax can really eat into the budget.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

Ex-smoker ? :)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
At the time I did not know that the ride was actually worth 125 as it was so short. Anyhow no one ripped anyone off, they got 100 pesos they didn't have before. Please refrain from the sarcasm.

now that is some heavyweight logic. so, if you had paid him 10 pesos you would not have ripped him off, because it would have been 10 pesos that he did not have before.

i like it.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The 10 pesos would not cover his gas/ propane. Lets assume that it was 20 pesos of gas, anything above that is gross profit.

really! the words of an MBA at work! i guess you think he gets the bike for free. you apparently do not know much about Dominican society. the preponderant majority of these guys put a small downpayment on those cycles, and they pay somewhere around 4K pesos a month as the note. so carrying you to your destination entails a little more than putting gas in the bike.

familiarize yourself with the real DR. as Tambo suggested, sometimes 25 pesos means the difference between having something like a piece of salami to eat with the platano, or trying to eat it solo.

Status
Not open for further replies.