PICHARDO Spin this: Blackouts kill five children

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Blackouts kill five children

Five children were killed in three separate house fires over the weekend, caused by candles being used as a result of the daily blackouts.

The last case was on Sunday night, 13 September 2015 when a brother and sister were burned to death. Both were under the age of two and lived in Pueblo Nuevo, a rural area some 70 kilometers east of Santo Domingo.

Aracelis Ramirez, mother of 20-month old Xavier and seven-month old Ariana said that the candle was lit in the bedroom they slept in when she left the home for a moment. The fire burned the wooden hut to the ground.

On the same night a 21-month old boy was burned to death when his house burned down in Los Alcarrizos in the west of Santo Domingo, again due to a lit candle and on Saturday two children died, one aged six and the other two, in a fire in Santiago Rodriguez province. Once again a candle was burning in the children?s bedroom.

Source: DR1, Hoy

Sep 15, 2015

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's not blackouts, it's negligence of the parents. yeah, so there was no power. no reason to leave the house locked up with a burning candle on. the kids can sleep in the dark or stay awake crying. it beats burning alive, i recon.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
it's not blackouts, it's negligence of the parents. yeah, so there was no power. no reason to leave the house locked up with a burning candle on. the kids can sleep in the dark or stay awake crying. it beats burning alive, i recon.

dv8 got there first. Poor parenting is the prime culprit.

Indeed.

Continue on in the dark.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
oh, c'mon, you act like these folks had to burn candles while they study a cure for cancer. all those recent house fires look the same: parents leave to a colmado while locking up the house all nice with small kids inside and a burning candle. what for does a 20 and 7 month old infant need a candle? to read kant?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Blackouts kill five children

Five children were killed in three separate house fires over the weekend, caused by candles being used as a result of the daily blackouts.

The last case was on Sunday night, 13 September 2015 when a brother and sister were burned to death. Both were under the age of two and lived in Pueblo Nuevo, a rural area some 70 kilometers east of Santo Domingo.

Aracelis Ramirez, mother of 20-month old Xavier and seven-month old Ariana said that the candle was lit in the bedroom they slept in when she left the home for a moment. The fire burned the wooden hut to the ground.

On the same night a 21-month old boy was burned to death when his house burned down in Los Alcarrizos in the west of Santo Domingo, again due to a lit candle and on Saturday two children died, one aged six and the other two, in a fire in Santiago Rodriguez province. Once again a candle was burning in the children?s bedroom.

Source: DR1, Hoy

Sep 15, 2015

1) Agreed, this is about poor parenting.

2) And yet, despite all this, you choose to stay....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
1) Agreed, this is about poor parenting.

2) And yet, despite all this, you choose to stay....

I have the ways and means that the lights do not go out where I am. I made a commitment and I am sticking with it.

If the lights did not go out for these people, those children would not have died from bad parenting and the use of candles. Poor parenting and bad government. Both. It is not just one.

Dv8 is just upset she missed a death post. I am just kidding on that point.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
DRob, the lack of 24/7 power is and always has been an issue for me. Nobody has the balls to fix that problem.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
DRob, the lack of 24/7 power is and always has been an issue for me. Nobody has the balls to fix that problem.

No doubt about that, you are right. But blaming the blackouts for these children dying is rather obtuse. The parent who left the candle burning - and left the house - carries 100% of the blame.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No doubt about that, you are right. But blaming the blackouts for these children dying is rather obtuse. The parent who left the candle burning - and left the house - carries 100% of the blame.

In a court of law, you are 100% correct.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Certainly. Without the need to light candles, as in no blackout, what would have happened in this case to the children?

(I am sure it has happened in other places where kids died when candles were left burning, but this is the DR where it happens all the time. Not other places where it also happens.)

Get my point?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Certainly. Without the need to light candles, as in no blackout, what would have happened in this case to the children?

(I am sure it has happened in other places where kids died when candles were left burning, but this is the DR where it happens all the time. Not other places where it also happens.)

Get my point?

We do get your point.

However, I'd like to point out that I've read news reports where there was electric available 24/7 but it had been disconnected because of non-payment of bill. Right back to the same thing - fault of the adult who left the candle burning. Not important whether there was or wasn't electricity. People are just plain stupid sometimes.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And, someone else thought to put the title in this manner:

"Blackouts kill five children", so it is not just me.

To me, it absolutely matters if electricity was turned off by the government because they cannot make people pay.

If it was turned off by lack of payment, that is an entirely different story. In any case the ultimate responsibility is with the parents.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
On the other hand, how many lives the said blackout saved due to lack of fires caused by faulty wiring?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
To me, it absolutely matters if electricity was turned off by the government because they cannot make people pay.

since we are on the subject of children deaths. how about the one who drowned in a hotel pool because the parents left for 10 minutes to check the restaurant? hmm, how could the government be guilty? why, there should be food delivery to the poolside, gratis! how about the one who fell into an open cistern? yes, it's the government again, not delivering water into the pipes. and the one who suffocated wrapped in a bed sheet? the government should have sent someone to iron them, of course. and the one who was found dead with a telephone cable wrapped around the neck? it's the government again, the cable should have been running underground.

my fren, children deaths are nearly a daily occurrence here. a weekend before last 5 kids died in house fires, all caused by burning candles, all with absent parents. wouldn't you think that people SHOULD HAVE LEARNT THE LESSON LONG TIME AGO????

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
people are stupid about candles...i left my once partner in a real nice home and come back to an empty house....power went out candles came on...breeze blowing partytime in kitchen bingo polyester curtains big bambu bed tv all plastics....but cement house...smoke damage everywhere....no more worry about nothing....find another place to live

Status
Not open for further replies.