Do I Need a Letter of Consent?

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
My wife, my daughter, and I are in the process of going to the US.

My daughter's biological father is not in the picture. He doesn't see her, doesn't call her, doesn't provide for her. He's in another country as well.

Do we need any legal documentation stating that he consents to his biological daughter leaving out of the country?

Thanks if anyone has experience on this.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
You can definitively get to travel without the father's consent in this situation. One of my sisters, who was in the same situation after her divorce, got a court paper stating that the father's whereabouts where unknowing, and that she was the sole supporter of the kid, and she was able to take him abroad many times. I suggest you talk to a "Fiscal de menores". That's what my sister did, and she told her all the steps she needed to follow.
My best friend, who is also divorced, takes her daughter on a vacation once a year, LEGALLY without the girl's dad's consent.

Hope this helps!!

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
My wife, my daughter, and I are in the process of going to the US.

My daughter's biological father is not in the picture. He doesn't see her, doesn't call her, doesn't provide for her. He's in another country as well.

Do we need any legal documentation stating that he consents to his biological daughter leaving out of the country?

Thanks if anyone has experience on this.

You will need a legal document to leave with her. If he is not in the picture then I am sure your lawyer can seek the appropriate documents and have them legalized at the court. The mother may have to attend the court, or may not, depends how much info she has about the father. Certainly easier, quicker and cheaper if you can find him to sign it though.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Your situation would be easier eventually if you undertook the sometimes arduous process to legally adopt, "your daughter", assuming that is an option.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
We know his whereabouts and can contact him. We would just rather not involve anyone if we don't have to.

I'm pretty confident we can get a letter of consent from him. He's not out to hurt or make our lives difficult and does want the best for his daughter (although he doesn't provide for her).

@Cdn_gringo Any info on how that works? Have you had experience in any adoption processes?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Amp
I expect , like Gringo, that this will not be the last time you need to 'declare' yourself with your daughter.
Schools, a myriad of things will appear.

Better to fix things now.... it must be possible.
Most of these single parents are practically full blown lawyers thanks to their situation.

Ask around, there must be an easy solution.

Good luck

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
We know his whereabouts and can contact him. We would just rather not involve anyone if we don't have to.

I'm pretty confident we can get a letter of consent from him. He's not out to hurt or make our lives difficult and does want the best for his daughter (although he doesn't provide for her).

@Cdn_gringo Any info on how that works? Have you had experience in any adoption processes?

You can get parental responsibility without adoption. Both parents need to sign a declaration and that is very easy to obtain, if both parents are happy. Cheap and easy. This is a similar document that authorizes grand parents, Aunties etc to leave the country with the child.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
You can get parental responsibility without adoption. Both parents need to sign a declaration and that is very easy to obtain, if both parents are happy. Cheap and easy. This is a similar document that authorizes grand parents, Aunties etc to leave the country with the child.

Don't want to hijack a thread, but my wife and I are god parents to two of her nieces. One 4 yr old and 1 a year old. We'd love to take them, probably one at a time to disney, or miami, or some other US destination for a vacation.
I am US Citizen and wife is resident with conditional status for next 1.5 years or so.

Is this doable? She is "auntie" after all. We currently live in DR.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Yes it is easy if both parents consent to signing parental responsibility for the period in question. And the kids are cleared to enter the US.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
" Do we need any legal documentation stating that he consents to his biological daughter leaving out of the country?"

I have wondered about that. My wife's daughter was about a year old when I met her but well into her teens when we finally got married. At that point I just started calling her my daughter or stepdaughter as conditions warranted. I haven't done anything to formally adopt her or sign any papers tying us legally. I just figured her mom was my wife, that makes her my daughter, and that seems to be the end of it. She now has her green card and goes to school in the U.S. and throughout the whole process no one ever mentioned her biological father at all.