Passport renewal

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Does anyone know the days and times you can go to PP to get your US passport renewed? Do you need an appointment?

Thanks

Bob K

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
http://www.travel.state.gov/content...-passport-from-outside-the-united-states.html

http://santodomingo.usembassy.gov/passports_renewals-e.html

Adult In-Person Passport Renewals

You may obtain a new United States passport using application Form DS-82, provided you meet all four of the following requirements:

IF
1. You have a passport that is not damaged; and
2. It was issued within the past 15 years; and
3. You were at least age 16 when it was issued; and
4. Still have the same name in your most recent passport (or you can legally document your name change)

THEN

You must make an appointment. All U.S. Citizen Services with the exception of adults over 18 applying for their first passport are provided at the Consular Agencies in Punta Cana and Puerto Plata. For your convenience, we recommend that you use the Consular Agencies for services if they are closer to your geographical location. For example, Puerto Plata provides services to Santiago, Sosua, Cabarete, Las Terrenas, Samana and any of the cities along the North Coast. Punta Cana provides services to Bavaro, Higuey, Bayahibe, La Romana and any of the cities along the East Coast. The Agencies tend to have shorter wait times and be less crowded.

If you would like to make an appointment at one of the Consular Agencies, please email Punta Cana Consular Agency or Puerto Plata Consular Agency. If you experience technical difficulties or do not have access to internet, you may make your appointment by calling (809) 552-8990 for Punta Cana or calling telephone numbers (809) 586-8017, (809) 586-4204, (809) 586-8023 for Puerto Plata. In Santo Domingo, you need to make an appointment between the hours of 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. Mondays or Wednesdays using our online appointment system. It’s very important that you select the first option: "Add visa pages to undamaged, valid U.S. passport" to obtain an immediate appointment confirmation for the above established hours, as we will only be providing adult passport renewal services during those hours. The day of your appointment, bring the following documents with you to the consular section:

Jan 17, 2009
You need an appointment, Bob. I sent them an email and they replied in a few hours. They prefer emails than calling them up. It was quite fast. Got it back in less than 3 weeks. The email I sent was to PuertoPlataConsularAgency@state.gov

You also need to fill out the passport form online and bring it printed out, plus photo (they ask for 2 photos on the site, but they ask me (renewal) when I went. Also ordered a passport card for an additional 20 or so. That took a bit longer to get, but I find it'll be great to use as a photo ID in the US (I gave up my state residency and with that my drivers license) instead of carrying my passport. It looks like we can also use it to travel from the Caribbean (including the DR) back to the US.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Anybody knows if it's the same procedure for a Canadian passport renewal ??
Meaning, book a appointment, fill the form online, print it and then bring it with me ?? Do they have the forms at the Consulate ??

I have to go pretty soon.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Meaning, book a appointment, fill the form online, print it and then bring it with me ?? Do they have the forms at the Consulate ??

No need for an appointment. You can pick them up there or fill out the form and print it off Passport Canada's website. www.passport.gc.ca . Just make sure you select the form for Canadians abroad. There are 2 options, regular application or simplified renewal. Check the requirements and see which is best for you. Office hours and address is available at www.dominicanrepublic.gc.ca .

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Charlise

my daughters, Cdn citizens live out of country.
They have had passports issued in Paris, Rome , London UK and NYC.

A combination of lost/stolen and expiries.

The Consulate here will do it.

FYI
out of country issuances are from Hull, not Ottawa.
That will warm your Quebecois heart , huh ??

I too, have renewed but from the US.
I just mailed/couriered the forms.........easy.

Start with the website

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Remember...

Canada is offering a 10 yr option again....... started almost 2 yrs ago

you most certainly will hear from the Gringo...... former Ottawa resident
The authority on such matters

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010

They have a list of recomended photo services on the website: I recommend using one of them as they are rather strict about photos. Also, the POP consulate onlly accepts cash (CAD or pesos) - no credit cards.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Thanks you all... I had done my homeworks before and my only concern was that if the Consulate had the Form (simplified yes I qualify) since my printer died during the May move....

But now that I know that they have the Form on hand, I am a happy camper.... Thanks again.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Out of curiosity does anyone know if the US consulate does the passport renewal the same day as the appointment? Do they offer passport cards as well?

Passports are printed in the U.S. only and sent back here in Diplomatic pouches.

Passport cards are not valid for air travel. (The last time I checked)

The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2009
Thanks for posting that passport cards can't be used for international air travel. I suppose I can take a ship from here to Miami if I ever need to use it.

"Out of curiosity does anyone know if the US consulate does the passport renewal the same day as the appointment? Do they offer passport cards as well?"

No, you do your paperwork. The passport is sent to the US and you'll get it back in about 3 weeks. Passport cards are offered and you include your request in the passport application you do online. (although I didn't, and the consular officer was kind enough to add it for me).

I think it is worth getting. Doesn't cost much and even if we can't use it for air travel, is a good option for those of us going home but who no longer have a photo state ID. I hated carrying my passport around just for docs appointments. I was once asked to show a photo ID to return a stupid thing at Target. Now, with the card, I don't need to carry my passport any longer.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This thread has me thinking........

My passport expires next August,
but then i recall that some countries insist on a 6 month validity.....

might be smart to be early on this.......... and get the 10 year version

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
We have been traveling with ours the last couple of months (multiple countries in Europa and the US) and they expire the beginning of December this year.

BobK

Steven@meilink.com

Oct 22, 2005
Hi. Have have sent an email to 'puertoplataconsularagency@state.gov' a week ago, and no one answers.
No one answers any of the phone numbers either .

Does anyone know how to make an appointment to renew an American Passport in Puerto Plata ?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
U.S. Consular Agency Puerto Plata
Villanueva Street at the corner of John F. Kennedy Ave.
Abraxa Bookstore Bldg., 2nd. Floor
Alexandra - Secretary
Telephone Number: (809) 586-8017, (809) 586-4204, (809) 586-8023
Fax: (809) 586-8015
E-Mail: acssantodom@state.gov

Two 2X2 front color photos
Old Passport
$110 US (price may have gone up)

Steven@meilink.com

Oct 22, 2005
Those are the phone numbers that no one picks up, or a voice just say "consular agency - hasta Luego" and hangs up
Telephone Number: (809) 586-8017, (809) 586-4204, (809) 586-8023

Very frustrating. There must be an email or phone that works !

The email is for Sto Dgo ? E-Mail: acssantodom@state.gov

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
What day did you try to call? The agency was most likely closed on September 24, which was Thursday.

Also, if they close for lunch, you need to call before noon or after two PM.

Steven@meilink.com

Oct 22, 2005
Hi. I have been calling almost daily, at various times, hoping to find someone in the vicinity of the phone who might pick up.
I also cant understand why they dont answer my emails ???? I dont even get delivery receipt or read receipt response.