brake lights

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
About 3 times a week I drive behind a car that doesn't have working brake lights. Only then you notice how much one drives on experience or even sub conscious. You brake when from the corner of you eye you see (or apparently have seen) the red light litting up. I've had to brake hard to avoid a collision several times (driving daily in peak hour).

What I wonder is why are there so many cars with non working brake lights? I hardly recall changing brake lights, and when none is working it's more likely a wiring or fuse problem. How come so many cars have this problem (and don't seem to care about it)?

If I would have an older and bigger vehicle I'd love to just brake a little too late, say: sorry, but you don't have braking lights and take off.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
About 3 times a week I drive behind a car that doesn't have working brake lights. Only then you notice how much one drives on experience or even sub conscious. You brake when from the corner of you eye you see (or apparently have seen) the red light litting up. I've had to brake hard to avoid a collision several times (driving daily in peak hour).

What I wonder is why are there so many cars with non working brake lights? I hardly recall changing brake lights, and when none is working it's more likely a wiring or fuse problem. How come so many cars have this problem (and don't seem to care about it)?

If I would have an older and bigger vehicle I'd love to just brake a little too late, say: sorry, but you don't have braking lights and take off.

there are no functioning brake lights because nobody is responsible for anything. devices which are intended to signal the intent of a driver mean nothing in this culture. it is the duty of the driver behind to respond to whatever transpires. the driver in front has no duty to declare to the guy behind that he intends to stop, or turn.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
These idiots should not be allowed to drive. Even the use of directional lights is rare. :mad: Wishing to have a tank and just roll 'em over many times...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
If you hit them It's your fault. "No me", pay up. Your a gringo. Get it.

even if they hit you it is your fault. if you had not been stopped at the red light in front of them, they would not have hit you.

i was on the POP Malecon once, and this girl was riding a scooter with a kid in front, and drinking a grande. she hit a parked Honda Civic, and nothing happened to the kid, but she got a large gash from the broken beer bottle. the police came, and started scouring the apartment building. i asked why they were doing that, and was told they were looking for the owner of the Honda, so he could pay her medical bills. one guy told me that the guy is lucky, because if the girl had died, the car owner would have been in a world of hurt. so, even if he was away in Navarette, he would still be liable, because it was his car she hit.

go figure.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
maybe they don't even realize. not that most would care anyways.

I'm this stupid that, even after all these years, if I get a chance I pass them open the window and tell them they don't have braking lights. Often I get a 'gracias' but I know that when I drive off they must be thinking: 'y que le di??!'

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I am surprised by Caribmike.. the whole point here is to just go with the flow ..and not to get frustrated . Everyone knows that there are many thousands of vehicles without brake or rear lights that function and every one knows that indicator lights are not used. Also many cars do not have rear vision mirrors . You just to have accept those facts and get on with life without worrying about them

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I am surprised by Caribmike.. the whole point here is to just go with the flow ..and not to get frustrated . Everyone knows that there are many thousands of vehicles without brake or rear lights that function and every one knows that indicator lights are not used. Also many cars do not have rear vision mirrors . You just to have accept those facts and get on with life without worrying about them

I am not worried about them. I just want to shoot them... And, I HATE transportistas and their ****ty rubbish cars! :D

Serious, I know, you are right. Nothing one can do but accept it as it is. But sometimes one needs to vent.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
And turn signals are also totally USELESS in this country.

You can be stopped waiting to turn left,
... your turn signal on and the stupid nitwits will still pass you on the left
..... while crossing over the double yellow line.

Another thing Dominican drivers do not understand is "Wait".
Light turns green, WHY are the 20 cars in front of them not moving that instance?

Take their horn away and they will go crazy beating on the steering wheel.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I understand the 'go with the flow' attitude you need here, but when you almost crash into some idiot that doesn't have brake lights, because he brakes for nothing you really want to punch him in the face at least.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I understand the 'go with the flow' attitude you need here, but when you almost crash into some idiot that doesn't have brake lights, because he brakes for nothing you really want to punch him in the face at least.

i took a motoconcho from Caribe Tours to Jose Luis supermarket today, and the guy chose to go through the red light at that giant intersection at the hospital. i yelled at him to stop just as he was entering it. he told me not to be so worried, because he has insurance.

a mind like that should be led around on a leash. a tight one.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
And turn signals are also totally USELESS in this country.

Another thing Dominican drivers do not understand is "Wait".
Light turns green, WHY are the 20 cars in front of them not moving that instance?

Take their horn away and they will go crazy beating on the steering wheel.

Has anyone noticed how Dominicans are utterly confused about the green left arrow light? 90% of them, at least in Santiago, will wait for the arrow to turn green and not move an inch, - even when the regular green light is on and there is no oncoming traffic. The same geniuses have no problem running red lights all day long though.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
The leading practice is to use hand signals in lieu of brake lights and turn signals:

- opening and closing a fist with fingers spread while in the open position indicates a turn - in any direction
- moving the open hand vertically with the palm facing down indicates braking, speed of the upward/downward motion indicates rate of braking
- waving the hand at the wrist with the palm facing downward is a general gesture than means "watch out, I am about to do something dangerous and stupid" and covers any combination of sudden stopping at an odd moment, cutting across several lanes of busy traffic, etc.

there are no functioning brake lights because nobody is responsible for anything. devices which are intended to signal the intent of a driver mean nothing in this culture. it is the duty of the driver behind to respond to whatever transpires. the driver in front has no duty to declare to the guy behind that he intends to stop, or turn.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Has anyone noticed how Dominicans are utterly confused about the green left arrow light? 90% of them, at least in Santiago, will wait for the arrow to turn green and not move an inch, - even when the regular green light is on and there is no oncoming traffic. The same geniuses have no problem running red lights all day long though.
What about a carro publico waiting for a red light and when it turns green someone decides to get in or out.