Any one using GARMIN GPS DR map

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Many will tell you to use Google Maps on your phone.

They don't understand the convenience of a dash mounted Garmin.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I use mine for:

(1) Digital Clock
(2) Digital Speedometer (One in car is broke)
(3) Tracking mileage so I know when to refill Propane
(4) The cookie crumbs are great in areas which are not mapped
.....(Finding your way back out)

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
I got mine from http://www.gpsetravelguides.com/index.php and it cost ?23.50 (about $35) which includes update for life.
They update every 3 months or so and the installation process is pretty easy.

It worked for me as newbie to the driving on the island around La Romana, for a couple of trips into Santo Domingo and now around Las Terrenas and out to Las Galleras (and everything in between).

Occasionally the GPS (bought in the UK) gets confused as it seems to want to drive on the wrong side of the road, but that's normally pretty obvious.

Oh, and the breadcrumbs feature on the GPS is a must! That's saved me on many occasions ;)

Roy

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I use one... a few threads on the topic.

Mine was $50............ www.gpstravelmaps.com

I've been hemming and hawing about buying one of these for years. Truth is that we've traveled all over DR and really never needed it, but with all the new roads I thought it would be a good idea. So today I checked it out again. $49.95 plus $20 if you want an SD card. For $70 I can buy a lot of data for my cellphone, so I guess I'll be passing on this again, and then think about it again the next time someone brings it up, haha.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Phones will work fine.

I used to drag my GPS around... RD, USA, Canada....just RD now
The newer US cars all have it built in w/ SIRIUS

My RD fleet is old !!! Like me !!

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I've used and understand both. My preference is the free mobile phone application called GPS Navigation. It gives turn by turn voice directions in the language of your choice. You can use any map source, including Garmin, Google, Bing, HERE and others. That is an advantage because you can find an up to date and functional map for most any world region except probably Antarctica. I happen to use a smartphone with a 6-inch display and yes, it is mounted on the dash.

If don't have a modern smartphone or you don't like using one with a larger display, I agree the Garmin would be useful, albeit less functional for international travel.

Many will tell you to use Google Maps on your phone.

They don't understand the convenience of a dash mounted Garmin.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I have a real hard time understanding how garmin stays in business with google maps being available.

Some people aren't too eager to tell Google everywhere they go. We know Google sells this info to advertisers and to other companies who like to amass all sorts of info on our habits and keep that info in a profile forever. On my phone, Google location services is off by default and I only turn it on when I actually need to use it. No reason for Google to know where I am every second of the day and I certainly don't wish the wife to find out that I am drinking at Spankys when I said I was going grocery shopping...

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
16lh6ph.jpg

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Garmin et al rely on the majority of the consumer technology market that is not familiar with how mobile services work beyond how to access iTunes and buy games. It is a very large and lucrative market segment. The popularity of the iphone is based on the way it isolates users from the underlying technology. iphones still have most of the market but relatively few iphone users have the large form factor iphone 6, especially in the Dominican Republic. The dedicated GPS devices are attractive because they do only one thing, so there is no need to figure out how to make it function as a GPS device. It may sound odd but there are quite a few people who have no interest in figuring out how to operate highly functional technology.

I have a real hard time understanding how garmin stays in business with google maps being available.

Now that most phones are the size of a small book it's easy just to get a mount for the dash and plop the phone in it when driving if needed.

Google maps has helped me in flawlessly getting from Bavaro to Monti Cristi and a few stops in between.

The only thing I do in Santo Domingo is drive through it and again google maps has been flawless so far in helping navigate through what I think is some of the most difficult driving, navigation wise, in the DR.

One problem I have in SD with google maps is that when on the roads with over passes it sometimes does not seem to be able to differentiate if it want's to guide you onto the overpass or the road and a that sometime sends you in the wrong direction.

Other then that not clear how the GPS device guy's are making money.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
This does not appear to be widely known. Google is only one of several GPS map sources. Google is unique in the way it collects and sells your personal data. Anyone who feels their personal data has no value is correct to describe Google Maps and Google's other services as "free." It would be too far off topic to go into details about alternatives to Google Maps but suffice to say there are several. You can search for them using a search engine other than Google by the way. :)

Some people aren't too eager to tell Google everywhere they go. We know Google sells this info to advertisers and to other companies who like to amass all sorts of info on our habits and keep that info in a profile forever. On my phone, Google location services is off by default and I only turn it on when I actually need to use it. No reason for Google to know where I am every second of the day and I certainly don't wish the wife to find out that I am drinking at Spankys when I said I was going grocery shopping...

hughatthepub

Mar 13, 2007
Garmins support Open Street Maps which is free, you can contribute to the project by enhancing the mapping if your immediate area. Updates are frequent and free of course

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
For those of you with Android devices, I can highly recommend this for an offline GPS solution https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapfactor.navigator&hl=en

You can download individual maps by country into your memory. The current map for the DR is pretty accurate and updates are free. (in fact the whole app is free) I have an after-market head unit with Android installed and it works a charm.

Thanks. Just downloaded it on my Cell. Looks real good. How is the navigation in the Capital?